OBJ handing out wads of cash on the field is hilarious | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OBJ handing out wads of cash on the field is hilarious

He just handed out as much money as SU got slammed for paying players for an internship. JB lost 100 wins because of that internship. It was 5 years and $5 thousand dollars (total) for more than 5 athletes. Not all were basketball players. The NCAA will just ignore this.

Apparently it was fake money and apparently it was given to players leaving LSU?

Not so fast. OBJ was in the dome for the VT game last week. So, by NCAA logic, that make the Natty Championship a home game for SU. Therefore, its a violation that will result in Dino having all his wins taken away from him.
On the bright side, that's not a lot of wins

LSU can claim the money is fake it definitely looks real when stopped and examined.

If that is fake I will take it OBJ.

EOQYtMjWsAAd0ZK

Honestly who cares at this point. Guys like Lebron and Odell can buy players gifts and its not a violation so what is the difference. LSU can claim its fake and there is no way to prove otherwise.

Yes. It’s bad.

The system meant to regulate the rules is broken and stuff like this makes it look further inept, crooked, and unfair. Sports are at their best when the competition is played by a set of rules, governed well by a fair arbiter.

When my kids want to play a board game we enter into the game abiding by a set of rules. It’s fun because it’s fair. If we found out my youngest was cheating the whole time we’d quit because it wouldn’t be fun anymore or we’d all decide to cheat - at which point - you’d say what’s the point of *any of these rules* and it would devolve into something else entirely.

The NCAA is toothless and the cheating will get worse and probably end up eating itself in some sort of ref paying scandal or huge money laundering thing.

and I’m for paying the players - legally and within the rules.

(This is all a sad acknowledgement that the sport is fundamentally flawed at the recruiting level. Bagmen and $100 handshakes have a long history. The Information Age has just made it so we all see it and know about it more. In a perfect world, the P5 breaks away, develops a really strong governing body, sets rules that both pay equitably and bring the hammer down on cheating. Won’t happen)

I understand your broader premise here, but in this specific case, what rules were broken?

If that is fake I will take it OBJ.

EOQYtMjWsAAd0ZK
Yeah, I’m going to go with not fake. And if it is found out that it wasn’t fake and that LSU officials lied about it, I’m penalizing LSU for “Lack of Institutional Control” if I’m the NCAA.

I really hope it's not fake money

Possession of counterfeit United States obligations with fraudulent intent is a violation of Title 18, Section 472 of the United States Code and is punishable by a fine of up to $15,000, or 15 years imprisonment, or both.

Honestly who cares at this point. Guys like Lebron and Odell can buy players gifts and its not a violation so what is the difference. LSU can claim its fake and there is no way to prove otherwise.
Loophole in the bowl gifts clause allowed them to do this since they are beats "ambassadors" and the university could combine with the gifts from the bowl game.

I can only imagine how many on this board would be inebriated beyond comprehension if SU won a title in basketball or football.
We have to wait for a championship? Oops...

Joe Burrow said on Pardon My Take that it was real cash and "I'm not a student athlete anymore so I don't care".

That's hilarious
Slippery slope

I understand your broader premise here, but in this specific case, what rules were broken?

I don’t think you can pay a player while they are in uniform on a field and still an NCAA athlete. There’s no doubt some kind of process happens after the game - but I’d be shocked if it’s when the clock says 0:00

I don’t think you can pay a player while they are in uniform on a field and still an NCAA athlete. There’s no doubt some kind of process happens after the game - but I’d be shocked if it’s when the clock says 0:00

Maybe. I don't know the rules myself, although if OBJ stuffed a couple Benjamins into a kid's hand on his way to the team bus an hour after the game because his eligibility had now officially expired, I think it's a distinction without a difference.

I mean, I love getting outraged on the Internet as much as the next guy, but this thing just struck me as a goof. If anything, it highlights just how disgustingly corrupt the entire student-athlete sham is.

Maybe. I don't know the rules myself, although if OBJ stuffed a couple Benjamins into a kid's hand on his way to the team bus an hour after the game because his eligibility had now officially expired, I think it's a distinction without a difference.

I mean, I love getting outraged on the Internet as much as the next guy, but this thing just struck me as a goof. If anything, it highlights just how disgustingly corrupt the entire student-athlete sham is.

Exactly. That was the crux of my longer post. The rules matter or they don't. If they don't it will get worse and threaten the sport - either by giant scandal or by it's fan base dumping it for something more akin to actual competition.

Well if that works then the YMCA paid in fake money too, get Jimmy his wins back. The rules and their inability to apply them fairly is why the NCAA is a joke.

Exactly. That was the crux of my longer post. The rules matter or they don't. If they don't it will get worse and threaten the sport - either by giant scandal or by it's fan base dumping it for something more akin to actual competition.

I think it's been proven decisively that rules don't matter, see: UNC, Penn State, etc. And we've already had the giant scandal, it's still playing out in court re: the FBI & Nike, etc.

College athletics is a swamp and it's, arguably, never been more popular. We live in a crazy world.

What they didn't show was the NCAA official collecting his 20 pct as players went back to the locker room. All good- they got a cut.

That's the SEC. it was just a down payment. Meanwhile, Louisiana-Lafayette will now be on probation for this.

Yes. It’s bad.

The system meant to regulate the rules is broken and stuff like this makes it look further inept, crooked, and unfair. Sports are at their best when the competition is played by a set of rules, governed well by a fair arbiter.

When my kids want to play a board game we enter into the game abiding by a set of rules. It’s fun because it’s fair. If we found out my youngest was cheating the whole time we’d quit because it wouldn’t be fun anymore or we’d all decide to cheat - at which point - you’d say what’s the point of *any of these rules* and it would devolve into something else entirely.

The NCAA is toothless and the cheating will get worse and probably end up eating itself in some sort of ref paying scandal or huge money laundering thing.

and I’m for paying the players - legally and within the rules.

(This is all a sad acknowledgement that the sport is fundamentally flawed at the recruiting level. Bagmen and $100 handshakes have a long history. The Information Age has just made it so we all see it and know about it more. In a perfect world, the P5 breaks away, develops a really strong governing body, sets rules that both pay equitably and bring the hammer down on cheating. Won’t happen)
So then no Monopoly Cheaters Edition for you and the kids?

Or maybe you actually do play it because certain cheating is within the rules and therefore not cheating?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom