O'Brien To Texans Finalized | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

O'Brien To Texans Finalized

Very familiar.

Some insiders have no idea how much harm they do.

Good for him, he was lied to to get him there, did a remarkable job, and he has to deal with crap like that.

Unless Franklin wants to dive into that mess they are going to be looking at Schiano and Golden.
Or, just something to justify a move you have wanted all along. There are only 30 head coaches in the NFL. Tough to turn down.

Welcome to the realities of being a college football coach. My goodness, none of this is new. What makes college football unique - boosters, representation of higher education, etc - also comes with realities of politics EVERY institution has to varying degrees. The stronger the tradition, the more likely that traditional thinking will be omnipresent.

This guy flirted with the NFL last year. Had is buyout reduced by 67%. He took over a Penn State program that was destined for some mega-sanctions, so for him to publicly bitch about the Paterno people is a bit disappointing. I'm sure it is all true, but shut up and just leave versus whining about a program that gave you your first HC gig.

Unless Franklin wants to dive into that mess they are going to be looking at Schiano and Golden.

I can't see a guy like Franklin putting his career on the line there. With the NFL openings and Texas still out there, it's crazy to jump at the mess in Happy Valley.

Pretty sure all the PSU folks are going to want someone from the "family" this time and that means Schiano, Golden and Munchak have to be at the top of the list. Wouldn't shock me to see Golden leave Miami since at PSU he wouldn't need to worry about ticket sales or raising money.

Welcome to the realities of being a college football coach. My goodness, none of this is new. What makes college football unique - boosters, representation of higher education, etc - also comes with realities of politics EVERY institution has to varying degrees. The stronger the tradition, the more likely that traditional thinking will be omnipresent.

This guy flirted with the NFL last year. Had is buyout reduced by 67%. He took over a Penn State program that was destined for some mega-sanctions, so for him to publicly bitch about the Paterno people is a bit disappointing. I'm sure it is all true, but shut up and just leave versus whining about a program that gave you your first HC gig.

I like the "whining", anything that paints that program like a colossal s**tstorm is fantastic.

Totally disagree. The situation at Ped State was unique. Idolized coach, the only one most Ped Staters had ever known, (literally) taken off his pedestal due to assistant coach/child molester. A university, a town and a culture imbued with the pseudo-religious notion of 'St. Joe' now facing a crisis of faith. And/or falling under the spell of total denial.

My favorite part of O'Brien's screed:

“You can print this: You can print that I don’t really give a ---- what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program. I’ve done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I’m tired of it.

“For any ‘Paterno person’ to have any objection to what I’m doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield right now.”

Ya think prospective future coaches might read that?

You had to figure that Joe Pa's shadow would be on this program for many years to come. Shady won't take any crap from anyone so it would be interesting to watch him at PSU. Would love to be a fly on the wall at those search committee meetings.

Coach P, come on down! ;-)

now does this become a job thats no so great? his comment about the paterno people might scare away the best options and cause them to end up with shady -

Symphony Steve said:
Totally disagree. The situation at Ped State was unique. Idolized coach, the only one most Ped Staters had ever known, (literally) taken off his pedestal due to assistant coach/child molester. A university, a town and a culture imbued with the pseudo-religious notion of 'St. Joe' now facing a crisis of faith. And/or falling under the spell of total denial. My favorite part of O'Brien's screed: “You can print this: You can print that I don’t really give a ---- what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program. I’ve done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I’m tired of it. “For any ‘Paterno person’ to have any objection to what I’m doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield right now.” Ya think prospective future coaches might read that?

Exactly. This is no normal situation with boosters and politics. The great myth is that the Sandusky stuff is behind them. It's bred a dysfunction into the board, Paterno's people, and their fan base. Remember all of their fans posting here this summer? Heads in the sand, denial. It's worse at the top, I'd bet.

Reality? Dysfunction and lack of leadership will still make it hard for the next guy.

Should all be a plus for us.

So. The recruiting services ranked Ped State's incoming class at 19 and 23 respectively, with 19 commits.

Where do ya think they end up, and is Holley the first one to split? He's already talkin' Florida, which tells me he's been thinking about it for awhile. BTW, let him go.

"There seemed to be particular frustration with the political side of being a college coach, the glad-handing and recruiting that takes up more time than the football."

That paragraph describes both O'Brien and Marrone. Like others have said, none of it is new to college athletics. Looks like neither of these friends did their homework.

"There seemed to be particular frustration with the political side of being a college coach, the glad-handing and recruiting that takes up more time than the football."

That paragraph describes both O'Brien and Marrone. Like others have said, none of it is new to college athletics. Looks like neither of these friends did their homework.

Good point. It helps to separate the college lifers from the NFL lifers. Assuming that you're good enough to be an NFL lifer.

O'Brien's quote....

“You can print this: You can print that I don’t really give a ---- what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program. I’ve done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I’m tired of it.
“For any ‘Paterno person’ to have any objection to what I’m doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield right now

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/bill_obrien_the_outsider_arriv.html

sounds like the pedterno lovers ran him out of town

@DanWolken: Also, how about an ounce of gratitude, Bill? I didn't notice a long line of folks wanting to pay him $5 million a year before Penn St

@DanWolken: I get that coaching is hard, but some guys do tend to play up the drama of how rough they have it. BOB did it CONSTANTLY.

@DanWolken: Also, how about an ounce of gratitude, Bill? I didn't notice a long line of folks wanting to pay him $5 million a year before Penn St

@DanWolken: I get that coaching is hard, but some guys do tend to play up the drama of how rough they have it. BOB did it CONSTANTLY.

Keep stirrin' that pot, Whitey. I know I am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom