Observations after watching tape of Villanova | Syracusefan.com

Observations after watching tape of Villanova

2-3zone

2nd String
Really only have 1 big guy Daniel Ochefu and when he goes to the bench they go really small with JayVaughn Pinkston at 6'7 to the center position (Did this vs. Kansas and Embiid).

They are back to that 4 around 1 system Jay Wright has used for years and that has given us problems in the past.

James Bell has gone from the 8/9 guy on the bench to IMO their best player and could be Big East POY

At times they will full court press and trap out of it.

They do a great job of driving and getting fouled and take a ton of free throws.

Should be a great game with 32k-33k in the dome, I'm coming back home to CNY for Christmas and staying for this game and CAN'T WAIT!!!!

I feel we need to pound them inside win the battle on the glass and make them pay for pressing us.

Maybe Gbinije will get more minutes as a 3rd guard/small forward in this game? Seems like it might be an opportunity to use him.

I think silent G is and should be a small forward. I think he'll be a good one. This year he isn't playing at his optimal position. imo

bevosu said:
Maybe Gbinije will get more minutes as a 3rd guard/small forward in this game? Seems like it might be an opportunity to use him.

I think silent G is and should be a small forward. I think he'll be a good one. This year he isn't playing at his optimal position. imo

We've played that lineup a little bit when I think C J got into foul trouble so its possible. I wouldn't expect it though.

We've played that lineup a little bit when I think C J got into foul trouble so its possible. I wouldn't expect it though.

Yup..I know we've played 3 guards a few times so far this year. Just looks like with Nova and their 4 guard offense this might be a chance for him to get more minutes than usual. Depends on how Rak and Grant play on D. Fair should be okay, but Rak or Grant could have problems handling a smaller quicker guy?

Why would we go small and negate our advantage on both end? We want two of their guys having to guard CJ and Jerami. We want yhem shooting over Jerami and CJ on the wings rather than MikeG (although he isn't that small for a wing)

Why would we go small and negate our advantage on both end? We want two of their guys having to guard CJ and Jerami. We want yhem shooting over Jerami and CJ on the wings rather than MikeG (although he isn't that small for a wing)

I agree, offensively we should have an advantage with CJ, Grant, and even Rak, but Villanova has a way of harassing taller forwards on defense with pesky small guys who slap the ball away when bigs try to dribble and drive...that and their quickness on offense can cause problems for bigger defensive guys.

I'm just saying that I can see a place for G in this game. It might not happen?

I agree, offensively we should have an advantage with CJ, Grant, and even Rak, but Villanova has a way of harassing taller forwards on defense with pesky small guys who slap the ball away when bigs try to dribble and drive...that and their quickness on offense can cause problems for bigger defensive guys.

I'm just saying that I can see a place for G in this game. It might not happen?

Its not a bad ioption to have if things aren't going well that's for sure.

Its not a bad ioption to have if things aren't going well that's for sure.
And by things not going well, I think you mean if CJ gets in foul trouble. Otherwise, there is zero way CJ isn't playing for at least 35 minutes. JB will live and die with CJ before any wild desperation attempt at putting in MG at the 3 will take place.

I believe they may be tops in some defensive categories & use their quickness to max advantage. We hav to be strong w/ the ball, and JG will be the biggest mismatch on the floor.

and who will play the point if MG and TE both accrue fouls trying to defend the Nova drives?

and who will play the point if MG and TE both accrue fouls trying to defend the Nova drives?

I would think JB would adjust his game plan before that ever becomes an issue. Maybe let the defender go by TE and have the C take the call.

The problem is that they are going to drive and just run into our big men. We're going to get tons of fouls called on us in this game.

I guess it's good we have 3 centers.

Yeah, but it's the forwards we also have to worry about. That's the bigger concern - CJ and Grant getting into foul trouble if Nova drives the ball a lot from the wing.

Yeah, but it's the forwards we also have to worry about. That's the bigger concern - CJ and Grant getting into foul trouble if Nova drives the ball a lot from the wing.
don't put a down payment on worry. This isn't Fair's first rodeo. Grant will be fine as well. If they try to force it inside, they will lose.

don't put a down payment on worry. This isn't Fair's first rodeo. Grant will be fine as well. If they try to force it inside, they will lose.

I'm with you and am not too worried about their inside scoring more worried about their outside shooting. They have six guys with 10 or more 3 pointers on the season and Arachnophobia is hitting a paltry 20%. I think he is like Trevor Cooney from last year, they have expectations for him to be a much greater threat from 3. Hopefully he doesn't get it going against us.

Defending the three and not giving them second chance points are the keys to this game. If we come out and defend like we did against High Point then we are in deep doo doo.

Defending the three and not giving them second chance points are the keys to this game. If we come out and defend like we did against High Point then we are in deep doo doo.

If we defend like we did against High Point we are in deep doo doo no matter who the opponent is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom