Official 2014 National LOI Day Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Official 2014 National LOI Day Thread

PhatOrange said:
our class over at rvls is rated low because of their stupid arbitrary numeric rating system. Rvls has a numeric point system assigned to kids in addition to stars. The majority of our recruits are rated 3 stars. Their numeric rating for a 3 star kid is 5.5 to 5.7. Most of our 3 star kids are rated 5.5 - the lowest - so it hammers our ratings. If kids like Slayton and Roberts and Cooper were more accurately rated at say 5.7 we'd be in the 30 range for class ranking. And lets be honest here, Steve Ishmael should be a 4 star kid.

The numerical system isn't arbitrary. It's based on position ranking and groups. No different than any other site really. If they rank WR's 1-x for example, 51-75 might be 5.7. 76-100 5.6 and so on. I don't know if a kid should be a 5.5 a 5.6 or a 5.7. But I'm curious to know why you think a kid should be a certain ranking/numerical value. As much as people hammer on those sites, they are far more informed and seen far more kids than you or I.

If the kids you mentioned were 5.7 instead of 5.5, we'd move from 52 to 46, not the 30's. We do have some 5.6 and 5.7's.

Does any site have Ish as a 4 star?

What'd I miss? Anything exciting? Ward? No surprises? Surprises?

the issue is most sites use so many people to rank kids. i read one site comparing 2 Wr's the eval had one kid bigger, faster, better hands, ran better routes and ranked him lower..

I'm going with the theory that since the staff didn't target and Defensive Ends during the last week or so we are still good with Slayton.

The numerical system isn't arbitrary. It's based on position ranking and groups. No different than any other site really. If they rank WR's 1-x for example, 51-75 might be 5.7. 76-100 5.6 and so on. I don't know if a kid should be a 5.5 a 5.6 or a 5.7. But I'm curious to know why you think a kid should be a certain ranking/numerical value. As much as people hammer on those sites, they are far more informed and seen far more kids than you or I.

If the kids you mentioned were 5.7 instead of 5.5, we'd move from 52 to 46, not the 30's. We do have some 5.6 and 5.7's.

Exactly, especially the recruits that attend their camps or who've been offered/commit to a large subscription member.

Case in point: SU's recruiting class vs Buttger's class. If you compare player by player it's a first round knockout for us. They have very few players that we'd trade for, yet, they're still relatively close in Skout's ridiculous ranking system. Same can be said about BC and Ryvals...complete BS.

Personally, I'll put my trust in our staff's evaluation abilities.

It is arbitrary and a way for them to bump up or bump down class ratings without messing with stars.

I'm curious though where it says where a kid is worth X number of points. If we had 3 more players rated at 5.7 we'd jump up to 1600 points which would put us at #33.

but where does it say how many total points a kid is worth? 5.6 is worth 75 points? I can't find what they're actually worth.

This is per rvls.

The ranking system ranks prospects on a numerical scale from 6.1-4.9.
  • 6.1 Franchise Player; considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 25 players overall; deemed to have excellent pro potential; high-major prospect
  • 6.0-5.8 All-American Candidate; high-major prospect; considered one of the nation's top 300 prospects; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team
  • 5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team
  • 5.4-5.0 Division I prospect; considered a mid-major prospect; deemed to have limited pro potential but definite Division I prospect; may be more of a role player
  • 4.9 Sleeper; no expert knew much, if anything, about this player; a prospect that only a college coach really knew about

Last edited:
Very cool. Nice Class Syracuse... Any know of any possible surprises?

Eric White‏@EricWhiteCuse2 mins
Can you find all of the 2014 commits!?!? #SigningDayComplete #CUSE14 pic.twitter.com/hAnI4KVLpC
Bfuc8-9IAAE0daE.jpg:large

Reactions: cto
Welcome aboard Slayton! This caps a wonderful class! Said it other place/s but this coaching staff deserves many accolades as do the players who helped recruit these young men. I really believe this is the class that defines a full turn around to a steady diet of top 25s. I couldn't be happier or more proud of the efforts given to complete this class. The strategy of picking up young men, quality young men in positions of need is what amazes me most. Can't say enough of how HCSS and staff have gone about their business in building this program! Great job. Welcome aboard men.

Rivals (with Ward) has us up to 48.

I'm going to take that and be happy. Because we haven't been in the 50s in recent years, and only once in the 60s.

It's impressive progress.