Official: Joe Pa dead | Syracusefan.com

Official: Joe Pa dead

It was a tough end for the man He lost respect of the sports world and many of his own fans by sitting back and doing nothing when faced a real world nightmare in his midst.:(

Francesa is going on and on on the YES network right now. Giving good insight on this

Amazing.

Bear Bryant dies about a month after he stops coaching.

Joe Paterno does prett much the same thing.

I always thought that Paterno should be allowed to coach as long as he wanted to coach. I guess I still feel that way, but I wonder if it's the right thing to stay in a job for that long. I don't know.

Cleary his legacy would have been much different had he retired years ago.

Once again John Wooden shows us how it probably should be done. Retire at the top of your game at the age of 64 and live the rest of your life as the wise old sage.

Amazing.

I always thought that Paterno should be allowed to coach as long as he wanted to coach. I guess I still feel that way, but I wonder if it's the right thing to stay in a job for that long. I don't know.

Once again John Wooden shows us how it probably should be done. Retire at the top of your game at the age of 64 and live the rest of your life as the wise old sage.

No doubt, the stress of the past few months contributed to his death.

Like I said when it was reported yesterday, I am saddened by the death of a person. For that I mourn his death. But as to the symbolism of the death of a legend, football coach, icon, etc, rot in hell. I will now have to watch the cartoon channel because all these stations are going on and on about how great of a man he is and how much he did for people. Pfft. They should cover how little he did for kids of Happy Valley and 2nd mile that were raped.

Like I said when it was reported yesterday, I am saddened b the death of a person. For that I mourn his death. But as to the symbolism of the death of a legend, football coach, icon, etc, rot in hell. I will now have to watch the cartoon channel because all these stations are going on and on about how great of a man he is and how much he did for people. Pfft. They should cover how little he did for kids of Happy Valley and 2nd mile that were raped.
We understand what you are saying, but it's time to let it go. Paterno is dead and Sandusky will most likely go to jail for the rest of his life. Let everyone take the high road and let him be remembered on this day for the good he did. We all know his legacy and just like something like Nixon, he will be known for the good and for the bad.

Amazing.

I will always believe that Joe wanted to go out on the field and carried off in front of 80,000+ fans . He should have retired about 4-5 years ago when his frailty became obvious even to himself. His ego chose another direction and so it was. My wife and I were at the 1987 game and that weekend will always be with me as one of those perfect storms that hit PennState and their fans We ran into them on our way to the game and after the game . Absolutely no sportsmanship before or after. It made the win that much more enjoyable.When Rob Moore tripped up that PennState safety and walked into the end zone the rout was on and it was fantastic. I was sitting in the front row of section 251 and Tommy Kane's a coreographed catch was in front of me and I had to blink a couple times to make sure I saw what I thought I saw We wanted a quick bite afterthegame so we headed to Zebs on the Northern Lights circle. I loved that place.;)

We understand what you are saying, but it's time to let it go. Paterno is dead and Sandusky will most likely go to jail for the rest of his life. Let everyone take the high road and let him be remembered on this day for the good he did. We all know his legacy and just like something like Nixon, he will be known for the good and for the bad.

Let what go? That he enabled kids to be raped? ESPN should ask the question as to whether any of these kids that were raped over 3 decades went on to later commit suicide due to the shame. It's a fact that that can happen. All this what he gave his life to and for is BS. There is no high road or letting it go. People want to be blind to the bad he did. I find that sad and sickening both.

I understand the gesture of looking on the good after he died but for the loving,BUT let Us remind the world that when you allow harm under your watch, your memory is going to betrashed a bit after you go. In Happy Valley Joe is goingt o be eulogized into sainthood to the point of ridiculous. No one is going to stand up and say he was a gutless leader who was thinking of himself more than helpless children in his domain under the control of a pedophile who was insatiable.

How can you let it go? What if that was your kid that was raped and ruined for the rest of his life. Would you be so dismissive? Put yourself in those families shoes and then see how your analysis sounds. The man did good but if he could have prevented one child from being raped and didn't, all that goodwill goes out the window. A billion dollar fund and libraries just don't measure up to ruining childrens and families lives. Sorry.

Let what go? That he enabled kids to be raped? ESPN should ask the question as to whether any of these kids that were raped over 3 decades went on to later commit suicide due to the shame. It's a fact that that can happen. All this what he gave his life to and for is BS. There is no high road or letting it go. People want to be blind to the bad he did. I find that sad and sickening both.
I'm saying let it go for today. No one is ever going to change his legacy. This is something that transpired way beyond the sportsworld. This event has forever changed the way people think about things. It's very unfortunate that we will never hear what Joe knew and when did he know it.

Couple of ironic quotes shown today;

1. OJ McDuffie - JoePa took boys and made men out of them.

2. Joe Paterno - I want to stay in the college game because I wouldn't want to leave it to the Switzer's and Sherill's.

Bad day to say that OJ. And Joe, sure Switzer and Sherill may have cheated, but I bet they didn't let little boys be raped.

Francesa is going on and on on the YES network right now. Giving good insight on this
I thought Francesa did a nice job handling JP's passing on the fly this morning. He took a reasoned approach to the entire situation, as he has done since the Sandusky scandal broke. He also has handled the Bernie Fine story well, IMO.

When Francesa wants to be, he is one of the best in the business. Unfortunately, he often chooses to let his arrogant, dismissive, know-it-all side take over.

I thought Francesa did a nice job handling JP's passing on the fly this morning. He took a reasoned approach to the entire situation, as he has done since the Sandusky scandal broke. He also has handled the Bernie Fine story well, IMO.

When Francesa wants to be, he is one of the best in the business. Unfortunately, he often chooses to let his arrogant, dismissive, know-it-all side take over.

How did he handle it today?

How did he handle it today?
Francesa chose to focus on Paterno's entire life and career rather than just the last few months, although he certainly didn't ignore what has happened recently. I thought that was appropriate for today.

Like I said when it was reported yesterday, I am saddened by the death of a person. For that I mourn his death. But as to the symbolism of the death of a legend, football coach, icon, etc, rot in hell. I will now have to watch the cartoon channel because all these stations are going on and on about how great of a man he is and how much he did for people. Pfft. They should cover how little he did for kids of Happy Valley and 2nd mile that were raped.
I think it's best to let him pass quietly and neither damn nor eulogize him until the Sandusky issue is resolved. He's beyond praise or criticism at this point and the final version of his biography can wait to be written. If anyone wants to honor him at this point, let them honor the principles he espoused though he failed to personally uphold them. We don't need to beat his family with flails and he can't feel it anymore either. The full moral of the story can wait a while.

I think it's best to let him pass quietly and neither damn nor eulogize him until the Sandusky issue is resolved. He's beyond praise or criticism at this point and the final version of his biography can wait to be written. If anyone wants to honor him at this point, let them honor the principles he espoused though he failed to personally uphold them. We don't need to beat his family with flails and he can't feel it anymore either. The full moral of the story can wait a while.

Very well stated Shenexon...

“It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.” Can we seperate JoPa's legacy from his tragic failure to act? For today at least, we don't need to answer that question fully.

I'm saying let it go for today. No one is ever going to change his legacy. This is something that transpired way beyond the sportsworld. This event has forever changed the way people think about things. It's very unfortunate that we will never hear what Joe knew and when did he know it.
Joe Paterno is a classic example of aperson putting self worth/ego ahead of the good of others which in this case were kids. Let it be a reminder to all those in the future who care about their "image that covering that image in excrement is far easier than cleaning after the fact. Pulling a Paterno will have a meaning not in the besat interest of anyone. If it gives pause to someone's actions then perhaps Joe will have done some good beyond winning fottball games.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom