Spoiler Alert - Official Star Wars Force Awakens Spoiler Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Spoiler Alert Official Star Wars Force Awakens Spoiler Thread

Star Wars more than almost any other movie gives subliminal clues through John Williams' music.

Rey has her own theme (a really good one once it becomes more recognizable), but in key moments when she holds a lightsaber, you hear Luke's theme. That settles her as Luke's daughter for me.
The fact that the line was about how it was Luke's lightsaber, and his father's before him, and now it calls to her...that seemed like a hammer over the head to me that yeah, she's Luke's kid.

That was my thought going into the movie, but the fact that Han and Leia remember their son but don't seem to remember a daughter kinda stuck a fork in that theory for me. At this point, I think being Luke's child or simply a child born out of the Force is more likely.

Never underestimate the power of predictable plot tropes. ; )

The way that Epsiode VII paralells so many of the plot themes of Episode IV, it would actually make sense for Rey to be Luke's daughter -- as that would clearly set up the "...I am your father" reveal somewhere later down the line.

I also just feel like it's not a coincidence that the character is named Rey, which in Spanish, means "king"...as in, she's from the line of "kings" which means the Skywalkers, since they're basically the most powerful Jedi line in the galaxy, aka the kings of the Jedi Order.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the name always jumped out at me.

My one complaint I think, and maybe it's just me, was that (MASSIVE SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE AND ARE READING THIS FOR SOME REASON, GO AWAY AND DON'T READ THIS NEXT PART)

...Han's death just didn't impact me at all. It felt a little rushed and hokey. That was the first time we saw him interact with his son, so whatever tension was there was rushed and just didn't really work for me. As soon as he confronted him, I knew he was going to die, because 1) Harrison Ford has always wanted Han to get killed off, and 2) there's obviously no chance he was going to be able to flip Kylo Ren to the good guys in the first conversation we ever see him have with the dude. I didn't buy for a second that Ren was going to actually change his ways or even really consider it.

Just like the "twist" in Mr. Robot, I think Han's death worked just as well even if you saw it coming from a mile away. Part of it was the external emotion of the audience's feeling towards the character/idea of Han Solo, and part of it was internal because I thought the scene was well done and acted.

So maybe it was totally obvious, but who was the old guy at the beginning that gave the map piece to Poe?

So maybe it was totally obvious, but who was the old guy at the beginning that gave the map piece to Poe?
Other than it being Max von Sydow, they haven't said who he actually is in relation to the original trilogy.

jekelish said:
Other than it being Max von Sydow, they haven't said who he actually is in relation to the original trilogy.

The character apparently is Lor San Tekka, an elder of the village on Jakkar.

I consider it Anakin's lightsaber. Obi-Wan kept it after their fight in Ep.3 and Luke barely used in Ep.4 except for training. Luke lost it on Cloud City during his duel with Vader.
Anakin's lightsaber was blue. Luke's was green.

BTW does anybody know how they determine lightsaber colors? We have seen blue, green, purple, yellow, white from Jedi and red from Sith.

In the battle with Ren, when Rey just closes her eyes. I thought, "oh she's gonna kick his ass now!"

Great moment on the falcon... Finn rummaging through stuff and finds the remote Luke used in IV aboard the falcon while getting pointers from Ben.

Another favorite moment...when Kylo force pulls the Anakin/Luke lightsaber and it passes him and into Rey's hands. That had that "hell yeah!" feel to it.

He tried to pull it, but it felt like Rey was trying to pull it too...and she won. Ren thought he had control of it, but was stunned when it almost hits him in the head full speed and goes to Rey.

Daisy Ridley is going to make an awesome Jedi.

BTW, I tend to agree that Rey is Luke's daughter. It would make sense how she is seemingly more powerful than Kylo Ren having zero training...that we know of. Could she have been trained as a toddler? Was she a youngling when Ren brought the whole thing down?

I freakin loved when Rey was able to counter Kylo Ren's Force torture and turn it on him. And then using the Jedi Mind Trick on the Stormtrooper? I lost it. LOL!

He tried to pull it, but it felt like Rey was trying to pull it too...and she won. Ren thought he had control of it, but is stunned when it almost hits him in the head full speed.

Daisy Ridley is going to make an awesome Jedi.

BTW, I tend to agree that Rey is Luke's daughter. It would make sense how she is seemingly more powerful than Kylo Ren having zero training...that we know of. Could she have been trained as a toddler? Was she a youngling when Ren brought the whole thing down?

I freakin loved when Rey was able to counter Kylo Ren's Force torture and turn it on him. And then using the Jedi Mind Trick on the Stormtroopers? I lost it. LOL!
And that stormtrooper was Daniel Craig! Lots of cameos in this movie!

I have a question: why is it that the so-called "die hard" Star Wars fans are the ones that rip the movie to shreds minutes after the film is over? There were two rows of twenty and thirty something's behind me that seemed disappointed and started rattling off flaws. I was 6 when the first one came out. These clowns were probably born after the originals. Sure, this one was not the original, but it was still damn good and a wildly fun ride. There were things I thought could have been done better, but you will NEVER be able to create the perfect film, nor will anyone be able to re-create that magical time that the original film happened to capture. Nothing like it had ever been seen before! Now, we are on effects overload. We are in a world of CGI and virtual reality. I happened to really appreciate the look and feel of the film because it WAS like the original trilogy.

I'm sure I will like it even better when I go the second time...and the third...etc. :)

To those tools who didn't like it...go home and watch Phantom Menace three times in a row...if you can.

I have a question: why is it that the so-called "die hard" Star Wars fans are the ones that rip the movie to shreds minutes after the film is over? There were two rows of twenty and thirty something's behind me that seemed disappointed and started rattling off flaws. I was 6 when the first one came out. These clowns were probably born after the originals. Sure, this one was not the original, but it was still damn good and a wildly fun ride. There were things I thought could have been done better, but you will NEVER be able to create the perfect film, nor will anyone be able to re-create that magical time that the original film happened to capture. Nothing like it had ever been seen before! Now, we are on effects overload. We are in a world of CGI and virtual reality. I happened to really appreciate the look and feel of the film because it WAS like the original trilogy.

I'm sure I will like it even better when I go the second time...and the third...etc. :)

To those tools who didn't like it...go home and watch Phantom Menace three times in a row...if you can.
I agree this movie was not Ep.1 or Ep2. bad. It was great and people who want to complain just are haters.
I blame Lucas for people complaining.
The prequels and Indy Jones 4 showed the man lost his fastball. I really wish they had given the prequels to JJ or somebody those stories could have been so much better and people wouldn't complain now.

This movie will flow so much better in 2 years when Ep.8 comes out.

Is the next Star Wars movie the Han Solo movie or the story of what happened between Ep.3 and Ep.4?

Is the next Star Wars movie the Han Solo movie or the story of what happened between Ep.3 and Ep.4?

The latter. It's about the team of Rebel spies that stole the Death Star plans.

The latter. It's about the team of Rebel spies that stole the Death Star plans.
At the end of Ep.3 they show the Death Stat being constructed so I will be interested in the story. If they are smart the spies will be responsible for the weak spot in Death Star being possible to be exploited.

PeteCalvin said:
I have a question: why is it that the so-called "die hard" Star Wars fans are the ones that rip the movie to shreds minutes after the film is over? There were two rows of twenty and thirty something's behind me that seemed disappointed and started rattling off flaws. I was 6 when the first one came out. These clowns were probably born after the originals. Sure, this one was not the original, but it was still damn good and a wildly fun ride. There were things I thought could have been done better, but you will NEVER be able to create the perfect film, nor will anyone be able to re-create that magical time that the original film happened to capture. Nothing like it had ever been seen before! Now, we are on effects overload. We are in a world of CGI and virtual reality. I happened to really appreciate the look and feel of the film because it WAS like the original trilogy. I'm sure I will like it even better when I go the second time...and the third...etc. :) To those tools who didn't like it...go home and watch Phantom Menace three times in a row...if you can.
We seem to be in the same age range and those dips-hits are just colossal losers. I had some of those in the theatre with me too.
I was more focused on yelling at the toddler next to me for being scared...
Until i realized he was scared of me because of my kylo ren mask

Fun movie. Why though did they send just Chewbacca, Rey and R2D2 alone to get Luke? Like, wouldn't you want a bigger group? In a more reliable ship? One that hadn't been previously acknowledged to be trackable by The First Order?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom