Spoiler Alert - Official Star Wars Force Awakens Spoiler Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Spoiler Alert Official Star Wars Force Awakens Spoiler Thread

I don't necessarily disagree but I obviously would've been thinking grandchild.
Whoah. Crazy thought...

What if Luke Skywalker got busy with Obi wan Kenobi's long lost daughter? So she's both Luke's Daughter AND Ben's granddaughter. That would be one powerful Jedi.

*edit... It's not such a crazy thought. IF kenobi had a daughter, she's certainly be force sensitive. If Luke was training new Jedi after Ep 6, it stands to reason he would have identified her and trained her. Perhaps they fell in love, had Rey, and she was killed during Ben Solo's rebellion. To protect her, Luke sent her off to Jakku to save her from her cousin.

Last edited:
I already have a hard time accepting the idea of Luke having a kid; I don't think I'll be able to handle it if him and Obi-Wan both did. I'd rather Rey be a random person (which I can't imagine she is) than to be the child of Luke and Obi-Wan's daughter.

I already have a hard time accepting the idea of Luke having a kid; I don't think I'll be able to handle it if him and Obi-Wan both did. I'd rather Rey be a random person (which I can't imagine she is) than to be the child of Luke and Obi-Wan's daughter.
Yeah, why can't Rey just be a standard Jedi kid?

Luke is Snoke (the supreme leader) in a Wizard of Oz disguise. Is that too obvious?

Yeah, why can't Rey just be a standard Jedi kid?
Because the episodic movies follow the Skywalker family. That's basically been confirmed by Lucasfilm. So if Rey is the new hero, chances are she's a Skywalker.

So, just go back from traveling for the holidays and finally saw it. A couple thoughts:

1. As I walked out, I said to my daughter, "Rey is Luke's daughter." I still think that after reading this awesome thread. Maz: "I see those eyes. I know those eyes."
  2. As soon as Kylo Ren walked out on that bridge, I knew Han was going to die. My guess is we see him again (as mentioned above, perhaps only in spirit form).
  3. I had to remind my daughter about a few things that were direct references (thefts ;) ) from Episode VI - one mentioned above: the drone/trainer globe that Luke practiced with to develop his use of the Force.
  4. Kylo Ren had to survive, but I was surprised we didn't get a shot of him escaping with the Commander, as we saw Darth Vader escaping from the Death Star in A New Hope.
  5. As donniesyracuse said above, the first time we saw Snoke, I thought, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" But I don't think he's Luke, unless Luke is playing some puppetmaster-type game whose endgame is to establish the Force (the light side) as the predominant power in the Universe. <10% that is the case.
  6. As others have said, the throwaway jokes really worked in this one. Loved Han calling Finn "Big Deal".
All in all, loved it. Can't wait until 2017.

So, just go back from traveling for the holidays and finally saw it. A couple thoughts:

1. As I walked out, I said to my daughter, "Rey is Luke's daughter." I still think that after reading this awesome thread. Maz: "I see those eyes. I know those eyes."
  2. As soon as Kylo Ren walked out on that bridge, I knew Han was going to die. My guess is we see him again (as mentioned above, perhaps only in spirit form).
  3. I had to remind my daughter about a few things that were direct references (thefts ;) ) from Episode VI - one mentioned above: the drone/trainer globe that Luke practiced with to develop his use of the Force.
  4. Kylo Ren had to survive, but I was surprised we didn't get a shot of him escaping with the Commander, as we saw Darth Vader escaping from the Death Star in A New Hope.
  5. As donniesyracuse said above, the first time we saw Snoke, I thought, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" But I don't think he's Luke, unless Luke is playing some puppetmaster-type game whose endgame is to establish the Force (the light side) as the predominant power in the Universe. <10% that is the case.
  6. As others have said, the throwaway jokes really worked in this one. Loved Han calling Finn "Big Deal".
All in all, loved it. Can't wait until 2017.
Addendum: the scene on the bridge, when Han called his son 'Ben'. I love that they named him after Obi-Wan.

Because the episodic movies follow the Skywalker family. That's basically been confirmed by Lucasfilm. So if Rey is the new hero, chances are she's a Skywalker.
Lame.

I went and saw it a second time last night... the one thing I really tried to focus on was the flashbacks when Rey touches the saber. I didn't notice Obi-Wan speaking to her the first time, but knowing to look for it, it was so obvious this time around. The thing that really caught my attention though, was when we see her being left behind on Jakku. Another character says something along the lines of "Let them go, girl." or something and I knew I recognized the voice but it was driving me nuts. It's Unkar Plutt, the creature that Rey is selling her scavenged goods to; so it appears she was actually left on Jakku with him and maybe he was keeping an eye on her from afar this whole time. That adds an interesting layer to things... is it just coincidence that the guy she is left with also somehow got his hands on the Millenium Falcon?

Edit: I also noticed that it looked like Kylo Ren saved her during the attack on the Jedi Academy in her flashback, which makes me think it's Kylo Ren that leaves her on Jakku.

Last edited:
Edit: I also noticed that it looked like Kylo Ren saved her during the attack on the Jedi Academy in her flashback, which makes me think it's Kylo Ren that leaves her on Jakku.

Saw it last night with my son and his friend (both 12 year olds). I saw that same thing and can't believe it hasn't been said yet. I'm glad I wasn't just seeing things. I think that's part of his struggle with the two sides of the force, and protecting her would also seem to indicate she's family.

I'm of the opinion she is Luke's daughter as well.

Saw it last night with my son and his friend (both 12 year olds). I saw that same thing and can't believe it hasn't been said yet. I'm glad I wasn't just seeing things. I think that's part of his struggle with the two sides of the force, and protecting her would also seem to indicate she's family.

I'm of the opinion she is Luke's daughter as well.

I would say being Luke's daughter is still the odds on favorite, with being related in some fashion (even if she were Obi-Wan's kid) being an overwhelming favorite at this point.

On the other hand, if you're team Rey Random, you could argue that maybe Kylo Ren, dealing with the internal struggle between light and dark, simply had a brief moment of mercy for a little child.

At any rate, him saving her and leaving her on Jakku would help to make more sense out of the dialogue in the novel where he constantly asks if she's really just a scavenger, and then says "It IS you" at the end when she grabs the lightsaber as if it finally confirms what he had thought all along: that she is the girl that he saved (naysayers could argue that the "It IS you" is simply about her being the "awakening" that he felt though.

Also, the book says that Snoke senses that Kylo Ren has compassion for her for whatever that's worth.

Saw it yesterday; didn't resonate with me but certainly not a terrible movie. Found it entirely predictable (Han's death most guilty) and close to a carbon copy of Episode IV. Came across as trying too hard to reconnect with the original trilogy: did we need to see Admiral Ackbar again, and why hasn't he gotten over his energy-shield phobia?

Plot redundancy aside, the acting is far better than the prequel trilogy; superior dialogue and solid visual gags / one liners that don't pander to juveniles or border on cartoonish.

I do find Ren's storyline intriguing and hope he's less incompetent next film; Rey's arc left me puzzled; went from 0 to 60 (untrained to mind tricks and saber competency) within a span of hours and without mentoring. Solid actress though - very believable in the role and charismatic.

Hux was like a juvenile version of Admiral Motti and eminently choke-able. I hope he suffers an undistinguished fate.

Is Snoke actually Plagueis? Seems unlikely but can't be ruled out.

In sum, some interesting character arcs emerge (Ren and Rey), compelling questions arise (Snoke's background) and a much more promising start to this trilogy than the last. Emo Kylo Ren's twitter is, however, clearly the most important outcome: https://mobile.twitter.com/kylor3n

Star Wars more than almost any other movie gives subliminal clues through John Williams' music.

Rey has her own theme (a really good one once it becomes more recognizable), but in key moments when she holds a lightsaber, you hear Luke's theme. That settles her as Luke's daughter for me.

There might be another clue through another piece of music. The theme you hear during the scenes with Snoke is similar to the theme from this scene:

Here's the flashback for those who want to dissect it (sorry, no audio):

There might be another clue through another piece of music. The theme you hear during the scenes with Snoke is similar to the theme from this scene:
Yeah, it's suggestive but I'm struggling to understand why Snoke wouldn't resemble San Hill (another Muun) anatomically. Alternatively, if Plageuis chose another body as a 'vessel' to inhabit (thus no Muun resemblance required), why not choose one that had taken less damage than what we see manifested in Snoke?

None of this adds up; weakens the Plageuis theory if you ask me.

The Snoke thing is really unnecessary to me, at this point. This is a new trilogy, so the character will matter more in the next movies, but I don't enjoy the puppet master trope. Ren was interesting independent of Snoke. Run with that.

The way out of left field theory that I'm now hoping comes to fruition:

http://overmental.com/content/star-wars-force-awakens-fan-theory-rey-anakin-skywalker-43432
This idea would be weak sauce. Just like the fan theory Jar Jar Binks was really a Sith lord and his stupid routine was to just to coverup and make his evil less obvious.

I hated that in the prequels Anakin had no father. It made the story religious(Jesus) for no reason.

Rey is going to be a Skywalker or Solo IMO. I just hope we meet her mother if Luke is her Father. Making Rey the female Anakin wouldn't be good IMO. However the great thing is nobody is right or wrong.

Yeah, it's suggestive but I'm struggling to understand why Snoke wouldn't resemble San Hill (another Muun) anatomically. Alternatively, if Plageuis chose another body as a 'vessel' to inhabit (thus no Muun resemblance required), why not choose one that had taken less damage than what we see manifested in Snoke?

None of this adds up; weakens the Plageuis theory if you ask me.

Palentine doesn't say that Plagueis was a Muun in Revenge of the Sith, so he doesn't necessarily need to be one. The expanded universe no longer exists, so Disney can do whatever it wants, right?

There are always two.
Ugh. Except that there was no Emperor, and no Vader. But there just happens to be this other weird, super powerful dude out there, but that wasn't interested enough to help out with other things.

It's weird, is what I'm saying. They've got two more movies to make it not weird, but right now... it's weird.

Saw it yesterday; didn't resonate with me but certainly not a terrible movie. Found it entirely predictable (Han's death most guilty) and close to a carbon copy of Episode IV. Came across as trying too hard to reconnect with the original trilogy: did we need to see Admiral Ackbar again, and why hasn't he gotten over his energy-shield phobia?

Plot redundancy aside, the acting is far better than the prequel trilogy; superior dialogue and solid visual gags / one liners that don't pander to juveniles or border on cartoonish.

I do find Ren's storyline intriguing and hope he's less incompetent next film; Rey's arc left me puzzled; went from 0 to 60 (untrained to mind tricks and saber competency) within a span of hours and without mentoring. Solid actress though - very believable in the role and charismatic.

Hux was like a juvenile version of Admiral Motti and eminently choke-able. I hope he suffers an undistinguished fate.

Is Snoke actually Plagueis? Seems unlikely but can't be ruled out.

In sum, some interesting character arcs emerge (Ren and Rey), compelling questions arise (Snoke's background) and a much more promising start to this trilogy than the last. Emo Kylo Ren's twitter is, however, clearly the most important outcome: https://mobile.twitter.com/kylor3n

A friend of mine showed me this and I was reading it before my second time watching the movie and I was literally in tears from laughter. Whoever came up with that idea is doing a great job lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom