OJLL 2023 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OJLL 2023

IMG_3263.jpeg

Point totals after Sundays games

Mimico wins 15-6
Finn went crazy and finished with 5g 8a
Now leads the league with 70 pts
lyle thompson was a middie his freshman year. 22 and 14 (v 19 and 14). maybe they have their attackman already?

then there's this: " 6' 1", 160 pound righty, he's a versatile player able to feed and shoot who'll likely begin his career as a midfielder. “I think with Finn, he's an above the cage player,” March says. “We will definitely see him come out of the box a decent amount, also might be on the field as an attackman game by game.”"

someone will have to convince march it'd seem. maybe 15-20 lbs does?

Thomson has my vote for the 3rd attack spot. He is our best option (or at least tied with Birtwistle) as a finisher/shooter. Maybe does not have the same long range on his shot but has the potential to be deadly accurate. Some yips as a freshman, but most of those were in situations where we had a big deficit to overcome. Only Hiltz and Spallina are capable of matching his skill as a passer. His relative weakness is dodging. That is probably why Kirst beat him out there last season. But I feel like we can afford less of a dodging threat there since we will have all kinds of match up nightmares out of the middie position with the old faces plus the additions of Mule English and Stevens. And besides when you can do what he can do in the two man game and as a passer it becomes less necessary for you to break a guys ankles in a 1v1 situation.

He is too talented to keep off the field. His skills fit our offensive identity perfectly.

just an fyi...in OJLL they give out assists for free...if you're on the floor when a goal is scored you're probably getting an assist...you could pass to someone, who passes to someone else, who scores 15 seconds later, and you're getting the point... thomson is electric but take his and everyone else's assists numbers with a heaping of salt

You don't get to almost 20 more assists than the second highest guy without having quite a few legit ones.
ya, it works the same for everyone. and he's just about the leader in goals.

if only the thunder woulda taken a lesson on hockey assists from the philly scorekeeper. some of those guys were actually getting wings while being credited with assists. baltimore like pulling teeth.

just an fyi...in OJLL they give out assists for free...if you're on the floor when a goal is scored you're probably getting an assist...you could pass to someone, who passes to someone else, who scores 15 seconds later, and you're getting the point... thomson is electric but take his and everyone else's assists numbers with a heaping of salt
I just looked at the box scores of a couple of recent games. I don't see any goal where more than 2 assists are given. Sometimes just one. Like hockey. Many of other rules are similar to hockey. Like three 20 minute periods. And 2 & 5 minute penalties.

I just looked at the box scores of a couple of recent games. I don't see any goal where more than 2 assists are given. Sometimes just one. Like hockey. Many of other rules are similar to hockey. Like three 20 minute periods. And 2 & 5 minute penalties.

I think all Nyclax was trying to say is, in field lacrosse an assist is only given if a pass leads directly to a goal, whereas in box that is not the case (just like hockey).

In field, if you pass the ball to a teammate and they dodge to score, you aren’t credited with an assist. In box you can make a pass and that player can pass to another player, and that player could do somersaults and you’d still get an assist.

I think they were just trying to point out that while the assist totals are impressive you can’t look at them in the same way you would as field totals. That said, what Thomson is doing is still super impressive.

I think all Nyclax was trying to say is, in field lacrosse an assist is only given if a pass leads directly to a goal, whereas in box that is not the case (just like hockey).

In field, if you pass the ball to a teammate and they dodge to score, you aren’t credited with an assist. In box you can make a pass and that player can pass to another player, and that player could do somersaults and you’d still get an assist.

I think they were just trying to point out that while the assist totals are impressive you can’t look at them in the same way you would as field totals. That said, what Thomson is doing is still super impressive.
Agree it's impressive. Very impressive and bodes well for his future play with The Orange. Agree there are many more assists and they are easier to get than in the field game. But it's not everyone on the floor who gets one, which is the point I intended to make. Like in hockey, I presume that up to the last 2 offensive players who touch the ball before the goal get an assist.

yep. the two players who touched the ball prior to the goal scorer get assists. doesn't matter when or how they touched the ball. i did not single out thomson. i specifically said take his and everyone else's assist totals with a heaping of salt

the shot clock is so short and only a few guys are really involved in each possession. so if you are the center of the offense and initiate every possession from up top you are likely to get an assist on pretty much every one of your team's goals. i'm not saying this to pick on thomson. it's just the reality of the box game. goals are the more impressive stat, more so than in the field game. he has a lot of goals too so clearly he is doing well. you just cant learn a lot from box assist numbers...

Still impressive as a few pointed out it's the same for everyone in the league and he's dominating. Definitely impressive..
i understand that not everyone understands this about box, but i assume that most do on a team specific lacrosse board in upstate new york? and the parallel to a "hockey assist"? no one else in the league is approaching thomson's numbers to date. and i believe he may have set a record last year, too.

not to be mistaken, i'm not sure thomson could take the pounding at attack for a full year at 6'1", 160 lbs. unless he was a finisher. but it's possible he could be the right guy if he bulks up and march believes the offense could run that way with him carrying and directing traffic as well.

Looks like these aren't loading (at least for me) - what are they? Thanks.

Looks like these aren't loading (at least for me) - what are they? Thanks.
It’s on joeys ig story. It’s the pass then the btb pass and no look pass to someone can’t see and the goal. Joey and Finn working

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom