Ok , Benny Williams | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Ok , Benny Williams

Uneducated guess:

Jesse
Benny
Joe
Judah?
Chris

If Judah doesn't commit here :( , probably Symir.

Do we bring in a portal big or a guard if there's room?

Too many unknowns right now.
Unlike the past few years, I would love for there to be an open competition for every spot. I think Jesse wins the center spot, but Frank is a great backup. Beyond that, who knows? I don’t even care, let them all earn minutes. No predetermined 38 minute guys. Play 10 and tell them to go 100% all game. If you get tired we’ll bring the next guy in. Don’t worry, you’ll get back in once you’re rested.

With Judah, we’d have 13. Are you saying we’d bring in others if an unknown transfer goes away or one or more of the incoming don’t show?

The 5 incoming have all signed NLI's.

The only variable is Judah not committing, or someone leaving.

Maybe JBA or Chaz portal to seek more playing time somewhere else?

Unlike the past few years, I would love for there to be an open competition for every spot. I think Jesse wins the center spot, but Frank is a great backup. Beyond that, who knows? I don’t even care, let them all earn minutes. No predetermined 38 minute guys. Play 10 and tell them to go 100% all game. If you get tired we’ll bring the next guy in. Don’t worry, you’ll get back in once you’re rested.
We might actually be able to fill/keep a roster and have more than 3 guards if we did that.

I’m fine with playing a Carmelo, Owens, Flynn, etc. 36 minutes a game. Anybody not on that level though? Cmon.

The 5 incoming have all signed NLI's.

The only variable is Judah not committing, or someone leaving.

Maybe JBA or Chaz portal to seek more playing time somewhere else?
Gotcha. Thanks

Chris or maliq.

I agree he’s had opportunities, but his mpg isn’t really a good indication of those opportunities bc of how wildly those minutes vary.

It’s not he’s a usual 10-15 mpg guy every single game.

Not saying right or wrong, but those minutes have been all over the place to get to that average.
Yeah, that's why I see and agree with both sides of this argument about Benny. It's fair to infer he could've been doing earlier in the season what he did last night if given more opportunity - but equally fair to surmise various games in which he was inserted as opportunities, with which he did nothing at all... hard to say

Yeah, that's why I see and agree with both sides of this argument about Benny. It's fair to infer he could've been doing earlier in the season what he did last night if given more opportunity - but equally fair to surmise various games in which he was inserted as opportunities, with which he did nothing at all... hard to say
I’ll feel a lot better about next year if he has a few more good performances to close out the season.

Kinda like Hakim Warrick as a freshman. He was a minor contributor all year(though did a lot more than Benny), but then at the end of the year in the NIT run he was putting up double doubles all of a sudden, and I remember feeling very confident that he’d do that all year as a sophomore.

Hoping for that type of finish for Benny.

Same here. I crushed him after that jogging back on D to give up a corner three last week, but I’d never argue he’s gotten a fair shot here.

I didn’t watch his high school film, but after reading the review of his warm ups yesterday from Jake I’m wondering if coach took away one of his favorite tools and that’s made him uncomfortable all along. I’ve really struggled trying to figure this out, but I’m certain he’s not the type of player who will excel when pulled immediately after making a mistake or getting hammered by his coach in the presser.

Making that first athletic reverse layup really got him off to a good start, but finally making a jumper is what I think settled him down.

Watched him all night long (because there wasn’t much else to watch at the dome tonight.

Dont get me wrong, he played well, but he does not move well off the ball and I’m not convinced he understands where he’s supposed to be all the time. But he can compete above the rim - Jimmy and Cole cannot - and that’s important.

He fumbles sooo many lose balls and rebounds - needs to get stronger.

But he’s finally going to have some positive film to see - that will help.
Good post. I spent a lot of time watching him too, and this seems like the most logical description of his game/effort last night.

I think a lot of weight came off his shoulders. I was kind of hoping that Autry or Griffin would have given him a big pay on the back when he finally came out. But there wasn’t much reaction on the bench. I suppose losing so badly tempers those emotions.

But Benny had his day. Hopefully the first of many for Benny.

Good post. I spent a lot of time watching him too, and this seems like the most logical description of his game/effort last night.

I think a lot of weight came off his shoulders. I was kind of hoping that Autry or Griffin would have given him a big pay on the back when he finally came out. But there wasn’t much reaction on the bench. I suppose losing so badly tempers those emotions.

But Benny had his day. Hopefully the first of many for Benny.
Hard work on 3 will be ok

One thing I dislike about the portal is that players can come and go without restraint. But what I hate about the portal is the unending speculation by fans that players will leave.

A Duke couple sitting in front of me asked late in the game who is #13? They said he is really athletic.
Were they sipping tea? I picture them sipping tea with their little pinkies out and speaking in proper English accents. If not, don’t reply, because I don’t want you ruining my illusion.
Edit: I almost forgot the opera glasses.

Say it louder.

the idea that any starter returning from a 500 team is automatically designated a starting spot is a joke and one of the reasons why we are in the mess we are today

I mean, we’ve played three of them for a total of four games.
We've played one top ten...Duke... teams like Auburn and Gonzaga are two other teams that the game would be over at the 10 minute mark .... and the BIG EAST has at least 5 teams that would roll us because we're so unathletic. l love SU but it is what it is.

I think he played that too soft. He should have got a head of steam going and tried to ram it home instead of trying the Euro-step crap.
I am replying to my own post, because something occurred to me on that play. The opposing center chased him down. He wouldn’t have if Benny didn’t slow down, but that is not my point. Where were our guys? In the past you would see two more of our guys right behind the play. And the smart ones block anyone coming from behind and are right in the mix for the rebound should the shooter miss. Are our guys taking a breather? I hope they watch the video and get screamed at. And not just Frank…the guards especially.

Say it louder.

the idea that any starter returning from a 500 team is automatically designated a starting spot is a joke and one of the reasons why we are in the mess we are today
True, but that said, Joe and Jesse would absolutely start.

We've played one top ten...Duke... teams like Auburn and Gonzaga are two other teams that the game would be over at the 10 minute mark ... and the BIG EAST has at least 5 teams that would roll us because we're so unathletic. l love SU but it is what it is.
We’ve played Auburn, Villanova, and Duke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom