Ok , Benny Williams | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Ok , Benny Williams

Got there early tonight and watched him shoot threes. Shot and arc looked fine. Then watched him get inside of 15 feet….and his shot flatttened out.

That screams to me that he’s not comfortable from that distance. Kids learning the game today shoot 3’s and layups when they are young. He’s a product of watching Steph Curry.
Well that sucks since most of his shots seem like they've been midrange this season.

Everyone is so anxious for every little thing to validate their hatred of Boeheim. If you have watched Benny this year and thought he was anything better than the worst scholarship player we have ever had, you are crazy.

There was a belief that based on his HS ranking that he must have some ability and so it appears his troubles were mental. Tonight, he goes in down 30 and absolutely no pressure on him and played his first credible game in his career. He still had a few preposterous moments like getting packaged on an easy breakaway, but he showed some good things too. Let’s hope it continues.

But instead of celebrating it as a development step for him and his coaches, here comes everybody to jump on the coach. It’s tiresome.
Hatred of Boeheim? Being able to identify the difference between SU winning 75% of its games for 38 years then winning 59% of its games for the last 8 is not hatred. It's realization that the program is not what it once was. People are frustrated with the gradual degradation of the brand and worried about how/if/when it can get back to where it was. There's only a small handful of people on this board that actually hate Boheim, like 98% of the board recognizes him as an all-time great; but that doesn't make him infallible.

Eric Williams, Greg Davis. Lesean Howard….there are many more.
I wouldn't put LeSean Howard in that list. Kid was a bad fit for SU but went on to have a nice career at Hampton and played in an NCAA tourney. Those other two wouldn't have played in D2.

Also, he came off the bench and won us a game in OT against Georgetown in 98 or 99? Neither eric williams nor greg davis would have been able to do that.

EDIT: I was thinking of Sean Williams, not Eric Williams. My bad...

Last edited:
I wouldn't put LeSean Howard in that list. Kid was a bad fit for SU but went on to have a nice career at Hampton and played in an NCAA tourney. Those other two wouldn't have played in D2.
Davis was literally a favor for etan or his high school coach, right?

I thought Williams transferred and played at UMass.. nothing to get excited about and not big stats to be fair..

Got there early tonight and watched him shoot threes. Shot and arc looked fine. Then watched him get inside of 15 feet….and his shot flatttened out.

That screams to me that he’s not comfortable from that distance. Kids learning the game today shoot 3’s and layups when they are young. He’s a product of watching Steph Curry.
Would also add that he was shooting catch and shoot threes, he was shooting off the dribble inside of 15 feet. That may have affected his release, but it was night and day. He even got a couple of soft shooters bounces from 3, nothing but line drive makes or hard missed inside of 15.

Alright, who was worse? There may be somebody worse, but they never played so we never saw it. Which immediately negates the argument that Benny has been mentally tortured and buried on the bench in order to protect JB3’s minutes.

Whatever, I’ve so lost interring trying to bring any perspective to this place. I know it’s a fan board and it is place to vent, not have logical discussions. Have at it.
Keep digging. You’re doing great!

Would also add that he was shooting catch and shoot threes, he was shooting off the dribble inside of 15 feet. That may have affected his release, but it was night and day. He even got a couple of soft shooters bounces from 3, nothing but line drive makes or hard missed inside of 15.
I noticed the same thing. When he was warming up and shooting from the corner his shot looked great. It definitely flattened out in closer. I think DNic was "guarding" him and one of the managers was passing to him and the other players. I was glad to see him finally make one of those shots in the game.

He got to start his game by making a play that was entirely instinctual, and that athletically I'm not sure there's another guy on the team can do. Against big bad Duke.

And it took way too long this season, but that was an "I belong" moment.
That was literally the most athletic basket all year by anyone on the team, the difference between that and what went before with him was stark.

He didn't get the opportunity previously. Tonight, he was allowed to just play and he played well.
He’s had plenty of opportunity, in practice and in games. Until tonight he did almost nothing with the opportunity he has had. You really think Boeheim wouldn’t love to have a athletic kid to come off the bench for credible minutes at forward.

He’s had plenty of opportunity, in practice and in games. Until tonight he did almost nothing with the opportunity he has had. You really think Boeheim wouldn’t love to have a athletic kid to come off the bench for credible minutes at forward.
I think over the last couple of years, JB has done some weird crap with players. In my opinion, they haven't been developed right. So, they walk out the door. Or, like Jesse, suddenly they are ready even though he showed signs of being ready the whole year, last year. With Benny, he was clearly looking over his shoulder all year and getting yanked before he got a chance to get comfortable.

Earlier in the year he had a flat footed dunk that was pretty impressive.
Benny is a freak athlete. Hopefully we get to see more of this for the rest of the year and next year. I think his three point shot will come around too. Today's game sucked, but I wasn't expecting us to win. Duke's athleticism is off the charts and they paid for a nice roster. But, the breakout of Benny was awesome. The next step will be for him to destroy the rim on that break that he chose to do a freaking Eurostep (I hate the Eurostep) and that baseline drive where he got fouled but killed the put back that didn't count. I want him to try to break the rim on those opportunities. Nobody is going to block the shot if he takes it to where only Benny can go. Remember Hack's first year? He tried to dunk everything. Sometimes it was ridiculous and he would lose the ball, or get it knocked out of his hands. But, sophomore year, he was ramming them down. So, we have a few more games left, lets see more Benny. But Benny, your assignment is to freaking DESTROY the rim when you get the opportunity, and take the open shot with confidence. Show the opposition what they are going to get next year.

Alright, who was worse? There may be somebody worse, but they never played so we never saw it. Which immediately negates the argument that Benny has been mentally tortured and buried on the bench in order to protect JB3’s minutes.

Whatever, I’ve so lost interring trying to bring any perspective to this place. I know it’s a fan board and it is place to vent, not have logical discussions. Have at it.
You're going to get absolutely slaughtered on this one, and rightfully so. Not that we should be necessarily listing out the "worst" SU players ever, but since you asked..

baloney, he made more plays tonight than he had all year, and he had opportunities all season. I’m looking for an actual reasonable and knowledgeable explanation
I'm not sure Benny really "had opportunities all season." 2-3 minutes at a time where you get pulled before you even get your sweat up are not "opportunities." It would be pretty hard to convince me that this team wouldn't be better now (and then) if Benny were getting 20-25 minutes all season. The physical ability has been there all season. He has enough of that to have been getting PT all season and we probably would have seen the game slow down for him quite a while ago.

Last edited:
The answer to the question “what would happen if we just played Benny 30 minutes in a game” is: 14 points on 7 shots, 6 rebounds, and way better defense than any of the starters.
Serious saying..., The emperor has no clothes?

Hatred of Boeheim? Being able to identify the difference between SU winning 75% of its games for 38 years then winning 59% of its games for the last 8 is not hatred. It's realization that the program is not what it once was. People are frustrated with the gradual degradation of the brand and worried about how/if/when it can get back to where it was. There's only a small handful of people on this board that actually hate Boheim, like 98% of the board recognizes him as an all-time great; but that doesn't make him infallible.
Perfectly said………

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom