Ok , Benny Williams | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Ok , Benny Williams

Unlike the past few years, I would love for there to be an open competition for every spot. I think Jesse wins the center spot, but Frank is a great backup. Beyond that, who knows? I don’t even care, let them all earn minutes. No predetermined 38 minute guys. Play 10 and tell them to go 100% all game. If you get tired we’ll bring the next guy in. Don’t worry, you’ll get back in once you’re rested.
Who is Chris?

Making that first athletic reverse layup really got him off to a good start, but finally making a jumper is what I think settled him down.

Watched him all night long (because there wasn’t much else to watch at the dome tonight.

Dont get me wrong, he played well, but he does not move well off the ball and I’m not convinced he understands where he’s supposed to be all the time. But he can compete above the rim - Jimmy and Cole cannot - and that’s important.

He fumbles sooo many lose balls and rebounds - needs to get stronger.

But he’s finally going to have some positive film to see - that will help.
IMO, If he gets extended play in the rest of our games; we could see the Benny we hoped for., next season!

IMO, If he gets extended play in the rest of our games; we could see the Benny we hoped for., next season!

I've been told on this board that there is no such thing as game experience and that this isn't little league so only the best players should play (the whole game apparently).

Mods locked the other Benny thread good call by them I was probably going to get banned LOL. I was about ready to call out some people who called me stupid.
I wouldn’t be taking victory lap after the kid had his first real good game in game 29. Are we saying we can count on him going forward to be one of our top guys next season? Because if we are that seems silly.

I wouldn’t be taking victory lap after the kid had his first real good game in game 29. Are we saying we can count on him going forward to be one of our top guys next season? Because if we are that seems silly.
Counterpoint - we're seeing a lot of silliness in our program, so... so what?

Counterpoint - we're seeing a lot of silliness in our program, so... so what?
I think its shown how far our expectations have fallen. I am happy for Benny he played well, but I expect a coach to put a top 25 team together next year and I am nowhere near sold that he’s part of the solution as a starting forward on said team.

We need to give him extended time the rest of the way to see if we can count on him as a starting forward next year. If he produces then we are in good shape. If he doesn’t we have to hit the portal for a forward.
Who is JB going to sit Swider who most people would take back or Jimmy?

No chance he sits either enough to get Benny 20+ minutes.
He sat Jimmy to protect him yesterday.
You saw our D to start that game and how Duke exploited our D.

I think its shown how far our expectations have fallen. I am happy for Benny he played well, but I expect a coach to put a top 25 team together next year and I am nowhere near sold that he’s part of the solution as a starting forward on said team.
Next season can be fun if we lean into the youth and actually play the young guys.

I'm not sure we're going to be good no matter what.

Usually agree with your takes, but the portal exists. Some schools are in the top 25 each year by living on transfers. Why can’t we?
Sure, there's a chance.

I just don't really think it's likely.

Usually agree with your takes, but the portal exists. Some schools are in the top 25 each year by living on transfers. Why can’t we?
We don't even have to live on them - really, for next year, just need a quality forward and possibly (depending on Mintz) quality PG/CG - and that mixing/matching of recruits and portal is the formula for any/all programs not in that "blue blood" category

Next season can be fun if we lean into the youth and actually play the young guys.

I think that we should lean on the experienced players to start the year. At least one freshman will start, but Jesse, Benny, Joe and perhaps a grad transfer will start along with Judah (hopefully). Frank can back up at center and maybe a little at forward and Symir can back up at guard. Early in the season you get the rest of the freshmen some time and see how they do. Early season we could play 11-12 players. Ten games in, we should have a good idea of what the rotation will be and the style we can play. If ten guys show they can contribute, then let them play. Tell them to go 100% all game, because we have guys that can sub in when they’re gassed. If one guy looks lazy, sub him out for someone that will go hard. Pretty soon, they all play like that.

We don't even have to live on them - really, for next year, just need a quality forward and possibly (depending on Mintz) quality PG/CG - and that mixing/matching of recruits and portal is the formula for any/all programs not in that "blue blood" category
We need an influx of attitude. Someone that will provide leadership and demand that everyone on the team play with toughness.

Then next year JB apologists will say he developed these freshman you have to let him coach them when they are more experienced.

The guy really thinks people are upset over this year.
This year was so friggin predictable. It’s not going to get better unless the talent is way underrated and it’s not.

We won’t play in the Big Ten/ACC challenge. Our holiday tournament doesn’t have a P5 team.
We will schedule all tomato cans so we get those wins in the nonconference.

This program needs positive energy.

Why do you say this?
I think because the number of teams in the ACC there's always 1 team who doesn't participate each year. It might be our turn in 22.

Why do you say this?
Look at our projected roster.
We need the softest of soft schedules in nonconference with that lineup.
Unless Swider or a really good forward transfers in.

I am expecting a soft schedule.

I think because the number of teams in the ACC there's always 1 team who doesn't participate each year. It might be our turn in 22.
Hmm I don't think they just rotate through all the teams though, I think they pick either the lowest team in the previous standings or one of the few "less desirable" teams - I think they make sure to include all the brand-name teams

Look at our projected roster.
We need the softest of soft schedules in nonconference with that lineup.
Unless Swider or a really good forward transfers in.

I am expecting a soft schedule.
Yeah but it's not like JB gets to choose whether to play that game or not - it's up to the conference(s)

edit: and I actually agree with JB scheduling soft for that team next year, will be necessary to get them a little confidence and not thrown to the wolves right out of the gate

1 ACC team sits out year.
Typically a bottom finishing team but one team can request to sit out Virginia Tech requested it a couple years ago and they were a good team it was the first year of their new coach they sat out.
I am predicting we will be okay to sit out the challenge next year.

People don’t get how young that roster is and its not including Mintz who would be the best player in the class.

Our 2008 team was young but those were 5 stars.
Donte Green, Jonny Flynn and Paul Harris younger guys but all talented 5 star talents.

JB overhyping this class honestly makes no sense. He just puts expectations and then will lash out at certain media.
The Jardine, Jackson, Flynn class
The Richardson, Lydon classes were all better rated.

JB overhyping this class honestly makes no sense. He just puts expectations and then will lash out at certain media.
Yeah, not that he cares about such things but he's setting himself up for arguably a bigger backlash than this year. I mean, unless a couple of those frosh are somehow significantly better at the high-major collegiate level than they were at the high school level...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom