Okay so the Judah play? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Okay so the Judah play?

You don‘t think he has athletic hops? He has elite hops, speed and body control for his size and ability to move in air and draw fouls. He has elite mid range game and yes he could do more here and improve his passing defense etc. he is a sophomore and a combo guard, not a pass first PG
Huh, Judah? Not sure anyone on our team is in that category, but the closest I’ve seen so far would be JJ’s mid-range jumper the last 5-6 games.

You don‘t think he has athletic hops? He has elite hops, speed and body control for his size and ability to move in air and draw fouls. He has elite mid range game and yes he could do more here and improve his passing defense etc. he is a sophomore and a combo guard, not a pass first PG

No, IMO he does not have elite hops.
I've yet to see him drive the lane and dunk on folks- on break-aways, yeah maybe, but not to the hole, up, and over.
His midrange game is good-to very good, but elite? No.
His body control & ability to draw fouls is probably his greatest asset, but when I think " elite athlete", I honestly don't think "Judah Mintz". JMHO

Third in the league in scoring, third in assists on an offensively challenged team, second in steals. And we’d be better without him? Unbelievable comments in this thread.
Absolutely has aspects of his game that need maturity and work. Terrible decision on the play in question. But let’s be serious. This is a To 75ish level recruit who has been the best player on the team for two years and arguably the best lead guard we have had in ten.
And to those bemoaning that he isn’t a “pure point guard” get your head out of the eighties and in tune with how basketball is played today. The strict roles 1-5 are not part of the game with players that have much broader skill sets than Bob Cousy.

No, IMO he does not have elite hops.
I've yet to see him drive the lane and dunk on folks- on break-aways, yeah maybe, but not to the hole, up, and over.
His midrange game is good-to very good, but elite? No.
His body control & ability to draw fouls is probably his greatest asset, but when I think " elite athlete", I honestly don't think "Judah Mintz". JMHO
Ok then, IMHO for his size, I think he has elite quickness and hops. Mid Range is debatable on being elite but he either draws a foul in lane or makes a bucket and could be the best at doing that in the ACC. My definition of a an elite college player is a kid who will get drafted or play in the NBA which has a very high probability of happening. When he develops a more consistent shot will be well rounded NBA player.

His NBA scout analysis: “Mintz has explosive quickness and blow-by speed but also knows how to play the angles. He’s slippery with the ball in his hands and uses a variety of fakes to ultimately create his shot. Mintz makes a ton of tough shots, which should translate well moving forward. The NBA is an isolation game which should be great for his draft stock.”

If Judah has elite hops, I'd prefer that he use that by elevating over defenders.
Judah definitely has elite horizontal hops -his game is built on that to jump into defenders.
The development needed to achieve his dream is not apparent to me.

And to those bemoaning that he isn’t a “pure point guard” get your head out of the eighties and in tune with how basketball is played today.
I am shocked to read this from you

Because I see the ball stop all the time with no shooting and lots of hero ball and I think we'll, his fans are stuck in the eighties

I can't believe anyone uses him as an example of how basketball is played today

I am shocked to read this from you

Because I see the ball stop all the time with no shooting and lots of hero ball and I think we'll, his fans are stuck in the eighties

I can't believe anyone uses him as an example of how basketball is played today
Not what I am saying. I am saying that pigeonholing players into strict position based roles is an antiquated view of basketball. The game and players have evolved tremendously over the last twenty years. Skill sets are more rounded and terms like “pure point guard” have been replaced by positionless basketball with combo guards point forwards and stretch 5s.

Again, Judah has some clear holes in his game that need maturity and development but objectively speaking, a player who ranks third in the conference in scoring AND assists and second in steals is doing far more right than wrong. And those in this thread suggesting we would be better off without him are in severe need of a reality check.

He's flawed, but he's our best option this year.
Hypothetical: What if we could plug in a Tyler Ennis at PG? Is that what we need?

Not what I am saying. I am saying that pigeonholing players into strict position based roles is an antiquated view of basketball. The game and players have evolved tremendously over the last twenty years. Skill sets are more rounded and terms like “pure point guard” have been replaced by positionless basketball with combo guards point forwards and stretch 5s.

Again, Judah has some clear holes in his game that need maturity and development but objectively speaking, a player who ranks third in the conference in scoring AND assists and second in steals is doing far more right than wrong. And those in this thread suggesting we would be better off without him are in severe need of a reality check.
He is the last guy you want in a positionless five out motion that Syracuse doesn't play

He is the last guy you want in a positionless five out motion that Syracuse doesn't play
Again. Not the point of my comment that the term “pure point guard” is borderline anachronistic.

I think he needs to focus more on making shots rather than getting fouled. The kicking out of his foot on his jumper is getting more pronounced. He seems to be more focused on drawing contact rather than on the hoop. The way he's been shooting free throws ... that may need to change.

Not sure he can actually make those shots as he often run into the defenders not looking at the basket.

Judah's mind sometimes appears more on the cameras and his "brand" vs. the flow of the game and what basketball play the moment calls for.
He gets lost in some kind of self-absorbed alternative reality.
Debatable, but that's my explanation for the crazy plays he makes like that.
This is pretty interesting actually, & Q is another one..

Curious what is the reason NBA scouts are looking at him for then? Certainly not his shooting
They’re looking and that’s why he’ll end up being an undrafted free agent and not a draft pick.

Third in the league in scoring, third in assists on an offensively challenged team, second in steals. And we’d be better without him? Unbelievable comments in this thread.
Absolutely has aspects of his game that need maturity and work. Terrible decision on the play in question. But let’s be serious. This is a To 75ish level recruit who has been the best player on the team for two years and arguably the best lead guard we have had in ten.
And to those bemoaning that he isn’t a “pure point guard” get your head out of the eighties and in tune with how basketball is played today. The strict roles 1-5 are not part of the game with players that have much broader skill sets than Bob Cousy.
Better off without him. There’s a difference. It’s not about wins and losses. It’s about developing this roster for next season and beyond. Mintz is stunting the growth of everyone else.

This was a rebuilding year anyway. Had Mintz left last year, Williams probably would have left, too. IMO, that’s addition by subtraction. (Yes, both of them.) I would have accepted a losing season if the end result was maximizing the development of the other players, especially Starling and Copeland.
If they had both left, we probably get some grad transfer replacements from lower conferences. Less raw talent, more refined skill and experience. It might have been a wash, especially considering the Williams Experience this season.

Better off without him. There’s a difference. It’s not about wins and losses. It’s about developing this roster for next season and beyond. Mintz is stunting the growth of everyone else.
Again, some of the takes in this thread are borderline bizarre without the borderline. That is absolutely absurd.

" in telling youvwe wouldn't win 10 games without Judah, not 10 F...ing games" JB:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom