Oklahoma Wants out of Big XII | Syracusefan.com

Oklahoma Wants out of Big XII

The B12 is red hot mess...

Paul Finebaum: Oklahoma desperate to get out of the Big 12

Not sure much will happen until about 2-3 years out of the GoR expiration in 2025. The big question is: Does the B12 reform to keep a tenuous hold on P5 status or do the other 4 leagues go to 16 teams each? Conferences are becoming more geographically diverse and are essentially media partnerships and the 4 remaining leagues could firm up their Media strengths.

Is Cuse better off in a 4 x 16 world or a a 5 x 16 world? My feeling is they are better off in a 4 x 16 model if they make a commitment to invest in the stadium and "athletic" dorms. Cuse would be in the bottom third but would be a well compensated "midget". The safest COA for Cuse is a 5 X 16 model as they wouldn't be close to the High Major "Mendoza Line". Personally, I like the diversity of 80 teams over 64 teams.

Should the ACC just go preemptive "Fuccillo Huuuuge" and go to 20 to 24 teams and basically suck in the best of the B12/AAC? Get a jump on the other leagues? At 20 or 24 teams Pods are the only way to go.

Karma has certainly caught up to WVU soothsayers predicting the ACC demise.

Edit: Fixed my error 90 to 80...thanks CliftonPark.

Last edited:
The ACC going "Fuccillo Huuuge" could essentially take enough B12 teams to make the GoR Null and Void. I think the magic number is 7. Six teams in a Texas to Kansas Pod and bring in WVU into an eastern ACC Pod.

The only thing the B12 has right now is their Sugar Bowl slot with the ACC. I gotta think the Mouse would want the ACC to be there next contract.

The B12 is red hot mess...

Paul Finebaum: Oklahoma desperate to get out of the Big 12

Not sure much will happen until about 2-3 years out of the GoR expiration in 2025. The big question is: Does the B12 reform to keep a tenuous hold on P5 status or do the other 4 leagues go to 16 teams each? Conferences are becoming more geographically diverse and are essentially media partnerships and the 4 remaining leagues could firm up their Media strengths.

Is Cuse better off in a 4 x 16 world or a a 5 x 16 world? My feeling is they are better off in a 4 x 16 model if they make a commitment to invest in the stadium and "athletic" dorms. Cuse would be in the bottom third but would be a well compensated "midget". The safest COA for Cuse is a 5 X 16 model as they wouldn't be close to the High Major "Mendoza Line". Personally, I like the diversity of 90 teams over 64 teams.

Should the ACC just go preemptive "Fuccillo Huuuuge" and go to 20 to 24 teams and basically suck in the best of the B12/AAC? Get a jump on the other leagues? At 20 or 24 teams Pods are the only way to go.

Karma has certainly caught up to WVU soothsayers predicting the ACC demise.
I think you mean 80 teams, not 90. For football I think four mega conferences work the best. They could do 4 x 16 or 4 x 20. For basketball, 20 team conferences don't work unless they are split in two. Of course, as far as TV rights, it's all about football, isn't it. Plus, is something going to happen at some point, with the amount of money that is being paid out. Is what is happening at ESPN, with the layoffs, just the tip of the iceberg. We know football is huge business. The important thing for Syracuse is that they need to get relevant again. I hate to ask the question if we could become Yukon, but I think I know the answer to it.

Forgot to include this...seemed appropriate

xdoqfbc.jpg

4x16. Said it 10 years or more ago.

Ok...assume all the teams in the other leagues stay at their current school rosters'...

ACC 14 teams plus our South Bend Diva
SEC 14 teams
B1G 14 teams
PAC 12 teams

Notre Dame would have to commit. The ACC grabs either WVU, Cincy, UConn, Temple, UCF or USF. Texas is the wild card...not sure Texas works as a sole geographical outcast. My obvious pick is: WVU

The Big 12 doesn't break up nicely. How do you break them up?

Last edited:
Ok...assume all the teams in the other leagues stay at their current school rosters'...

SEC 14 teams
B1G 14 teams
PAC 12 teams

Notre Dame would have to commit. The ACC grabs either WVU, Cincy, UConn, Temple, UCF or USF. Texas is the wild card...not sure Texas works as a sole geographical outcast. My obvious pick is: WVU

Ok, I have the definitive answer. Currently in the P5 there are 64 teams.
ACC 14
B1G 14
PAC 12
SEC 14
Big 12 has 10

That makes 64. Perfect for 4 x 16. If you add Notre Dame, that gives you 65 teams. Easy solution. Dump Rutgers. Now you are back down to 64 teams. Not sure how you split up four Texas schools and two Oklahoma schools.

The only other solution is go to 4 x 18. 72 schools. Then it's a lot easier to split up the Big 12.

Now that the Chargers have moved to LA , SDSU is got to be headed to the PAC12.

SEC 14 teams
B1G 14 teams
PAC 12 teams

Let's go full head case - Go to 16 with ND and Bevo.:confused:

ACC 14
B1G 14
PAC 12
SEC 14
Big 12 has 10

That makes 64. Perfect for 4 x 16. If you add Notre Dame, that gives you 65 teams. Easy solution. Dump Rutgers. Now you are back down to 64 teams. Not sure how you split up four Texas schools and two Oklahoma schools.

The only other solution is go to 4 x 18. 72 schools. Then it's a lot easier to split up the Big 12.

Yeah I was going to say that as well - 4 X 18 is just as easy and would accomplish ending the Big 12 while at the same time add enough additional teams that it makes the "haves" greater than the "have nots", which from a legal perspective is always a good position to be in. Also gives the P4 effectively the ability to grab every decent market out there not currently covered. That takes you to 72, covers the current 64+1 and then allows 7 spots for teams that are deserving of being invited to the party, i.e. BYU, Houston, Boise, etc...aka not UCONN.

Which begs the question - if the new P4 went to 72, and ND was #65 in that scenario, who would be the other 7 teams?

My guess would be: Houston, BYU, Boise, Cincy... and then it gets pretty hard lol. Memphis? SD State? Nevada? Co St? Temple? USF? UCF?

Last edited:
Yeah I was going to say that as well - 4 X 18 is just as easy and would accomplish ending the Big 12 while at the same time add enough additional teams that it makes the "haves" greater than the "have nots", which from a legal perspective is always a good position to be in. Also gives the P4 effectively the ability to grab every decent market out there not currently covered. That takes you to 72, covers the current 64+1 and then allows 7 spots for teams that are deserving of being invited to the party, i.e. BYU, Houston, Boise, etc.
Even if it ends up in less than mirror image # teams per conference - I'd be in favor of having a total # of teams that equals one more than the total of have nots. Would not want 7 more feeding at the financial and recruiting table. Plus my scenario should force ND all in. Would also like a pony.

Do you also want to include prima Donna wannabes in the calculation?
I reckon the list would be;Duke, North Carolina, FSU, Notre Dame, Clemson, Texas. That's an awful lot of tantrum potential right there.

Even if it ends up in less than mirror image # teams per conference - I'd be in favor of having a total # of teams that equals one more than the total of have nots. Would not want 7 more feeding at the financial and recruiting table. Plus my scenario should force ND all in. Would also like a pony.

The final 7...it gets pretty hard after about #2 or #3 to find worthy teams IMO, so I hear ya.

I reckon the list would be;Duke, North Carolina, FSU, Notre Dame, Clemson, Texas. That's an awful lot of tantrum potential right there.
Plus, I'd include VPI and NC State as wannabes on that list.

ACC 14
B1G 14
PAC 12
SEC 14
Big 12 has 10

Easy solution :)

So what does this mean, will they agree to jump now without the Cowboys?

If the ACC went to 18...here a few scenarios

1. Add UT, OU and KU (not likely to happen) Do this if you get it.
2. Add UT and (Pick only 2) TCU/TTech/Houston/Baylor (TCU is a good complement to UT, TTech is a secondary state Big Boy school but located in remote, desolate Lubbock, Houston has a great market waiting to take off "threat to UT?", and Baylor is a good complement but carries baggage.)
3. Add WVU, Cincy, UConn or Temple (Most likely scenario as it solidfies the northern flank) Southern FB schools could balk so it might be: WVU, Cincy and UCF/USF.

I'm not sure the FSU/Miami/GTech and Clemson folks want to give either USF or UCF an invite though. Could Tulane be a compromise?

I don't think you will see 4 x 16.

I doubt Texas will be first to leave but they will determine how many teams end up in each conference.

I think Oklahoma moves first and goes to the B1G. If the B1G foolishly denies Oklahoma then the SEC or even P12 would grab them. In which case there is no way Texas ends up in the B1G. With Oklahoma in, the B1G should take Kansas too. They can still go for Texas, staying at 16 is internet lore.

I can't see Texas going to the P12 so they will stay at 12. It is hard to see them getting to 13, let alone 16 schools.

I think Texas ends up in the SEC. They want to be in the best football conference and don't want A&M having that over them. The SEC will then get to 16 by adding Okie State.

The ACC adds ND football. Do they add one more to get to 16 or add 3 more to get to 18? Cincy, UConn, and WV would all make sense. In the end I think they take just WV.

ACC at 16
B1G at 16
P12 at 12
SEC at 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online