Oklahoma Wants out of Big XII | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Oklahoma Wants out of Big XII

Will Notre Dame be motivated to join a conference? I know far less than most people here - Is the football contract they currently have bound to be less valuable going forward?
prima donna: Money and attention motivate

Notre Dame will move only when they they feel either are threatened. Other conferences (not named ACC) might have to swallow hard and set things in motion to drive Notre Dame to the ACC with conference rules to eliminate independents a reasonable chance to the playoffs. The other conferences will only do that when they see a benefit (breaking up the B12).

Texas would be very smart to go SEC - and bring little brother TT along. Baylor (and Houston) getting left behind. The Pac 12 is simply not a fit for them. Their alumni would despise the late games and distances. No way are they going to want to watch a game in Arizona starting at 9:30 in the evening (their time) in Texas. Nor will they have ANY appetite to play at Oregon State or Washington State.

SEC reunites them with A&M and is, to a degree, a geographic and cultural fit.

Big 10 then swoops up OU and OSU - possibly Iowa State

ACC? It's pray for ND and maybe add WVU.

Pac12 - likely one of the Nevada schools upgrade - probably UNLV with the new NFL stadium - and maybe they add BYU or Colorado State.

Kansas, KSU, UConn, Houston, Baylor, ISU, Cincinnati, SDSU, Boise and the rest all get lumped into the AAC or something like it.

Fascinating. And thank GOD we are on the inside with our ACC seat.

Cusecactus...your post is very logical. UT's best landing spot is the SEC. However, Prima Donna's do not think logical.

Ironic that TAMU is in a better place than UT all over a network no one watches outside of folks wearing Burnt Orange

Just wake me once Cincy is back in the same conference as SU again. That literally is all that matters to me on this subject.

giphy.gif

Texas would be very smart to go SEC - and bring little brother TT along. Baylor (and Houston) getting left behind. The Pac 12 is simply not a fit for them. Their alumni would despise the late games and distances. No way are they going to want to watch a game in Arizona starting at 9:30 in the evening (their time) in Texas. Nor will they have ANY appetite to play at Oregon State or Washington State.

Pac12 - likely one of the Nevada schools upgrade - probably UNLV with the new NFL stadium - and maybe they add BYU or Colorado State.

Kansas, KSU, UConn, Houston, Baylor, ISU, Cincinnati, SDSU, Boise and the rest all get lumped into the AAC or something like it.

Yeah the PAC12 is not well positioned going forward.

Cusecactus...your post is very logical. UT's best landing spot is the SEC. However, Prima Donna's do not think logical.

Ironic that TAMU is in a better place than UT all over a network no one watches outside of folks wearing Burnt Orange
TexanMark - where do you see Tex landing? I just can't see them in the Big 10 - really bad and unnatural fit.

Just a few reminders:

The B1G already attempted to gut the ACC and failed. Miserably. Sure, they got Maryland, but they almost lost PSU and had to take Rutgers. UNC, UVA, GATech, Duke and the rest are not going anywhere. Louisville replaced Maryland and the only hits taken were academics (and Louisville has been improving them) and lacrosse while improving football and basketball, the two money makers in conference rights.

Texas refuses to look west because of the time zone. They flirted with the issue once, but has since refused to loo west. Texas is NOT married to TTU, if offered the chance, UT would drop them and pick up one of several others. Once TAMU broke UT, UT has no real commitment to the other in-state schools (recall that they dumped UH when the SWAC fell apart because UH was competitive and chose TTU because they were not when moving to the Big 12).

Texas has always avoided the SEC due to academics. Austin has some dignity with academics (football and hoops excepted, as needed) and most SEC schools do not.

Texas has stated they like the ACC. Not clear whether this was a ploy or a tease to the B1G or what; however, UT wants east coast exposure, already has the plains states/central time zone covered.

The ACC landed Syracuse and Pitt with ND as buddy and a deal that if ND football joins a conference, it will be the ACC. See Louisville, above.

OU can probably go to any conference. It has been formally stated that OU and OSU are NOT a state mandated pair (though OU has stated they would try to help OSU). OU has similar academics to UNL, so the B1G cannot pretend academics is an issue. Besides, UNL would love that rivalry to reignite and it would add a balance to the heavier eastern division. OU was part of the Pac's offer to UT, but is not sufficient to bring along three academically weaker brothers (OSU, TTU, KState) as evidenced by their attempt to work a deal to the PAC without UT. Recall that not all of the PAC schools are academic leaders. As noted above, the PAC has little to no interest in religious schools. The SEC would probably let OU bring anyone they want to bring, they can afford to do so and they have no issue with more power teams (they haven't done the math that there can only be one champion yearly, but then, the SEC isn't known for doing math, or English, or history, or science...). The ACC could be interested in OU if part of a deal with UT, yet as a solo outlier, there probably is not enough interest (though Clemson and FSU likely would be interested).*, **

The remainder of the Big 12 is not very attractive, except maybe Kansas: PAC and B1G.

* From OU sources (second and third hand) OU wants out of the Big 12. They hate UT but that is what they have done for over 100 years, being in the same conference is not the issue, falling behind (i.e. playoffs, exposure) the other conferences is the main issue.
**Disclaimer: I wouldn't mind games in Norman. One of my daughters lives 10 minutes from the stadium, no bad seats, hard benches (any good SU fan already knows about these!), fun atmosphere, great tailgating.

Would WV prefer the ACC? Would VT prefer the SEC? Could the ACC trade NCST or VT for Vandy?

I like everything you said except for BYU. PAC will never take a religious school.

Last edited:
The academics argument is all superficial. All of the snobs in every conference hold their noses - Duke with Louisville, Stanford with ASU, Texas with West Virginia, etc., etc., etc.

Would WV prefer the ACC? Would VT prefer the SEC? Could the ACC trade NCST or VT for Vandy?

WVU would take any seat at the big boy table.

VT talks like they want the SEC but cannot win the Coastal let alone the ACC. They will fare no better, and likely worse, than they do now.

Would the ACC make the NCState for Vandy trade? Yes, before anyone can change their minds or think twice! Would the SEC take NCState over Vandy? Why? Would Vandy leave the SEC? Probably not, they have been the doormats in football but like the others. They are the academic powerhouse and enjoy that status, too.

WVU would take any seat at the big boy table.

VT talks like they want the SEC but cannot win the Coastal let alone the ACC. They will fare no better, and likely worse, than they do now.

Would the ACC make the NCState for Vandy trade? Yes, before anyone can change their minds or think twice! Would the SEC take NCState over Vandy? Why? Would Vandy leave the SEC? Probably not, they have been the doormats in football but like the others. They are the academic powerhouse and enjoy that status, too.

I can't see the Sec taking Va Tech or Nc State, neither really fit.

The academics argument is all superficial. All of the snobs in every conference hold their noses - Duke with Louisville, Stanford with ASU, Texas with West Virginia, etc., etc., etc.

Louisville would not have been voted in the ACC had they not been improving and had not ND and Syracuse (with others) worked to verify this.

The B1G takes academics seriously, that was the knock on Syracuse, that the hard sciences was small and the lack of a medical school.

The PAC, SEC and Big 12 have no significant position on academics as you clearly point out.

TexanMark - where do you see Tex landing? I just can't see them in the Big 10 - really bad and unnatural fit.

Ideally for the UT fans: The SWC reforms with OU and OSU. In today's media world that won't happen.

If Notre Dame can survive as an indy...UT would like that too...problem is where do the Olympic Sports go? UT's Olympic sports are pretty much elite across the board. The ACC competitively would be their best spot. However, geography is tough to overcome.

If OU bolts to the B1G then UT will be forced to action. I can't predict but my guess is they do one of three things: ACC in a superconference of 20-24 full time teams to include ND, SEC to 16 with UT and OSU (Houston, TCU and TTech also considered), or INDY in FB (ND like deal for 5 ACC games) and Olympic Sports to the ACC.

The last option could be a 16/18 hybrid. UT and ND in the Prima Donna INDY bracket and the ACC brings in two among these teams to help travel and market penetration (TCU, Houston, Baylor, Tulane or SMU)

One thing I don't see happening is UT ever going to the PAC12. Texas looks east not west. Texas feels they are their own Republic in no region with other states. However, that Republic thinks/looks east of the 100 degree longitude line. The only part of Texas that matters is roughly a triangle from DFW to San Antonio to Houston. Schools in that triangle are likely lil brothers to come along with Bevo.

Last edited:
Ideally for the UT fans: The SWC reforms with OU and OSU. In today's media world that won't happen.

If Notre Dame can survive as an indy...UT would like that too...problem is where do the Olympic Sports go? UT's Olympic sports are pretty much elite across the board. The ACC competitively would be their best spot. However, geography is tough to overcome.

If OU bolts to the B1G then UT will be forced to action. I can't predict but my guess is they do one of three things: ACC in a superconference of 20-24 full time teams to include ND, SEC to 16 with UT and OSU (Houston, TCU and TTech also considered), or INDY in FB (ND like deal for 5 ACC games) and Olympic Sports to the ACC.

The last option could be a 16/18 hybrid. UT and ND in the Prima Donna INDY bracket and the ACC brings in two among these teams to help travel and market penetration (TCU, Houston, Baylor, Tulane or SMU)

One thing I don't see happening is UT every going to the PAC12. Texas looks east not west. Texas feels they are their own Republic in no region with other states. However, that Republic thinks/looks east of the 100 degree longitude line. The only part of Texas that matters is roughly a triangle from DFW to San Antonio to Houston. Schools in that triangle are likely lil brothers to come along with Bevo.
No P5 conference is going to expand beyond 16. It will be too many mouths to feed and eventually TV money will dry up.
ESPN overpaid for MLB and NBA TV contracts and they're paying for it now with their layoffs. ESPN will not pay enough to make these conferences the same profits. Eventually the ACC, Big Ten, SEC, and PAC-12 will devour the big 12.

No P5 conference is going to expand beyond 16. It will be too many mouths to feed and eventually TV money will dry up. ESPN overpaid for MLB and NBA TV contracts and they're paying for it now with their layoffs. ESPN will not pay enoughto make these conferences the same profits. Eventually the ACC, Big Ten, SEC, and PAC-12 will devour the big 12.
I think a ACC 16/18 hybrid would fly with ESPN. The Longhorn Network would shut down to help pay for it.

Will Notre Dame be motivated to join a conference? I know far less than most people here - Is the football contract they currently have bound to be less valuable going forward?
As it stands now, Notre Dame will only join a conference if that is the only way they can get into the Playoff. For example, if there was a 4x16 with the four conference winners getting into the playoff and that was it, ND would be in a conference. As long as ND can remain independent in football and have access to the playoff (even if it requires an undefeated regular season), it will remain independent. The question that has never been asked of ND is whether it would remain independent in football if no other conference would take ND's Olympic sports. The Big East and ACC have accepted ND as a partial member. So long as ND can find a home for its Olympic sports, it has no reason to join a conference if it still has access to the CFP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom