Oklahoma Wants out of Big XII | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Oklahoma Wants out of Big XII

Ok...assume all the teams in the other leagues stay at their current school rosters'...

ACC 14 teams plus our South Bend Diva
SEC 14 teams
B1G 14 teams
PAC 12 teams

Notre Dame would have to commit. The ACC grabs either WVU, Cincy, UConn, Temple, UCF or USF. Texas is the wild card...not sure Texas works as a sole geographical outcast. My obvious pick is: WVU

The Big 12 doesn't break up nicely. How do you break them up?
I would break up B12 like this:
Texas OU to Big10
WVU, Okie St to SEC
KU, Texas Tech to PAC
TCU, KSt, ISU, BU to MWC

ND, Cincinnati to ACC

I don't think you will see 4 x 16.

I doubt Texas will be first to leave but they will determine how many teams end up in each conference.

I think Oklahoma moves first and goes to the B1G. If the B1G foolishly denies Oklahoma then the SEC or even P12 would grab them. In which case there is no way Texas ends up in the B1G. With Oklahoma in, the B1G should take Kansas too. They can still go for Texas, staying at 16 is internet lore.

I can't see Texas going to the P12 so they will stay at 12. It is hard to see them getting to 13, let alone 16 schools.

I think Texas ends up in the SEC. They want to be in the best football conference and don't want A&M having that over them. The SEC will then get to 16 by adding Okie State.

The ACC adds ND football. Do they add one more to get to 16 or add 3 more to get to 18? Cincy, UConn, and WV would all make sense. In the end I think they take just WV.

ACC at 16
B1G at 16
P12 at 12
SEC at 16
This has some logic although are we past the point of the power conferences having fewer members than non power schools? That used to be a strong consideration but I vaguely recall that changing a couple of years ago. Because the power schools would break off totally? I can't remember.

Yeah I was going to say that as well - 4 X 18 is just as easy and would accomplish ending the Big 12 while at the same time add enough additional teams that it makes the "haves" greater than the "have nots", which from a legal perspective is always a good position to be in. Also gives the P4 effectively the ability to grab every decent market out there not currently covered. That takes you to 72, covers the current 64+1 and then allows 7 spots for teams that are deserving of being invited to the party, i.e. BYU, Houston, Boise, etc...aka not UCONN.

Which begs the question - if the new P4 went to 72, and ND was #65 in that scenario, who would be the other 7 teams?

My guess would be: Houston, BYU, Boise, Cincy... and then it gets pretty hard lol. Memphis? SD State? Nevada? Co St? Temple? USF? UCF?

good question, even if just hypothetical

best 7 to add to the current P5 + ND:

Houston
SD State
New Mexico
BYU
Cincy
Temple

first 4 to the PAC, Cincy is solid and Temple brings in the Philly market

bubble for the final spot:

UConn
USF
UCF
Memphis
Co State

all depends on what the powers that be decide the best criteria for the last chair is, but all other things equal UConn should get the nod

I don't think you will see 4 x 16.

I doubt Texas will be first to leave but they will determine how many teams end up in each conference.

I think Oklahoma moves first and goes to the B1G. If the B1G foolishly denies Oklahoma then the SEC or even P12 would grab them. In which case there is no way Texas ends up in the B1G. With Oklahoma in, the B1G should take Kansas too. They can still go for Texas, staying at 16 is internet lore.

I can't see Texas going to the P12 so they will stay at 12. It is hard to see them getting to 13, let alone 16 schools.

I think Texas ends up in the SEC. They want to be in the best football conference and don't want A&M having that over them. The SEC will then get to 16 by adding Okie State.

The ACC adds ND football. Do they add one more to get to 16 or add 3 more to get to 18? Cincy, UConn, and WV would all make sense. In the end I think they take just WV.

ACC at 16
B1G at 16
P12 at 12
SEC at 16
So, only 60 P5 (errr...P4) teams?

The only teams in the Big12 that other power conferences want are; Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and WV. UT and WV to the SEC. OU and KU to the B1G.

The small teams in the Big 12 that voted against expansion are going to get very little for their greed. Iowa State may be in Conference USA when all is said and done.

Big10 could go to 20 and split into two 10 team divisions. I don't think anything is off the table. Will be interesting when the B12 GoR expires.

OU & T Boone U to the b1g

Texas brings the whole family to the Pac...TT, Baylor and whomever wins the Death Match between Houston & TCU

SEC takes Kansas as that will effectively kill kstate football while getting the bigger name and either WV, Cincy or maybe the Death Match loser finds a home

ND to the ACC and the ACC takes whomever the SEC doesn't want which could be a choice of both WV or Cincy

SEC pods
Pod 1
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma State
Missouri

Pod 2
Auburn
Alabama
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Pod 3
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Kentucky

Pod 4
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Arkansas

B1G
Pod 1
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Illinois

Pod 2
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern

Pod 3
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
Iowa

Pod 4
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Purdue
Indiana

ACC
Pod 1
Syracuse
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Notre Dame

Pod 2
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Cincinnati/West Virginia

Pod 3
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest

Pod 4
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Clemson

Again, this allows all the conferences to protect basic history as much I could do.

Big10 could go to 20 and split into two 10 team divisions. I don't think anything is off the table. Will be interesting when the B12 GoR expires.

This is probably one reason UT is less interested in the B1G, aside from too many power schools in the conference already. Essentially, the split would be east/west, UNL, OU, UT - getting the band back together, though this would still garner less TV interest than most of the eastern powers (UM, tOSU, PSU, MSU) simply due to markets involved.

* Disclaimer, this is based on casual conversations with UT fans (donors) with some connections. No guarantee on how high up the connections go, though I do know my contacts are donors, season ticket holders, and attend most, if not all, UT home games.

Texas brings the whole family to the Pac...TT, Baylor and whomever wins the Death Match between Houston & TCU
Traditionally, the Pac has not accepted religion-based institutions.

Traditionally, the Pac has not accepted religion-based institutions.
Cal-Berkeley will not allow Texas Tech or Baylor in the PAC-12.

All it takes to keep a team out of expansion is 1 team according to the PAC-12 charter.

In 2011 the PAC-12 turned down Oklahoma and Oklahoma State because of Cal and Stanford objecting.

A few things to keep in mind, based on what Clay Travis has said over the years:

1. 4x16 probably doesn't happen unless a few ACC teams are poached by the SEC and B1G. (Possibilities include NC State/Virginia Tech to the SEC and Georgia Tech/Notre Dame to the B1G.)
2. The SEC and B1G are not interested in bringing in teams from states that are already represented in their respective conferences. They're going after new markets. (The one exception would be ND.)
3. As stated above, don't expect the Pac-12 to bring in any religion-based institutions.
4. Texas wants no part of the SEC. Probably not wild about the B1G either.

For the record, I can't stand Travis, but he knows his stuff on this particular subject.

A few things to keep in mind, based on what Clay Travis has said over the years:

1. 4x16 probably doesn't happen unless a few ACC teams are poached by the SEC and B1G. (Possibilities include NC State/Virginia Tech to the SEC and Georgia Tech/Notre Dame to the B1G.)
2. The SEC and B1G are not interested in bringing in teams from states that are already represented in their respective conferences. They're going after new markets. (The one exception would be ND.)
3. As stated above, don't expect the Pac-12 to bring in any religion-based institutions.

For the record, I can't stand Travis, but he knows his stuff on this particular subject.
agree with you on travis, hes dialed in, but I think he said that, assuming the bevo was 1 of the 4.

now that is not possible.

if we are playing with academic guidelines, then the SEC will never be a possibility for UT is right, but then again the bevo is filled with a bunch of community colleges right now...so anything is possible.

I don't think texas looks west again, because I don't think they think much of the west.

they like the east and I can see them angling for the ACC, start a bidding war between us the b1g...but wow would the Olympic sports be racking up the frequent flier miles.

just like Dallas thinks its located somewhere between philly and DC, Austin thinks its between boston and NYC.

I also think they don't think much of fla st and Clemson but probably acknowledge M and tOSU as players.

didn't know that about religion and the Pac...wheres my earthquake??

Oklahoma to the Big Ten is the first move.
They go to the Big Ten West and bring back the season ending Nebraska-Oklahoma game to rival Ohio State-Michigan.

Big Ten 16 comes from Kansas, UConn( I kid) or an ACC team.

SEC always has West Virginia for their East division and can add Oklahoma State/Texas or both and not WVU.

ACC needs ND as the 15th team and the 16th team could be a Cincinnati, UConn or a Big XII team.

PAC-12 can't expand unless Texas goes West.

UVA and Virginia Tech are politically joined at the hip as are NC State and UNC. If there was any conference adjustments, those "couples" would have to go together.

Will Notre Dame be motivated to join a conference? I know far less than most people here - Is the football contract they currently have bound to be less valuable going forward?

UVA and Virginia Tech are politically joined at the hip as are NC State and UNC. If there was any conference adjustments, those "couples" would have to go together.
I wouldn't count on that. Think Texas and Texas A&M.

There's a new thought process on this. Those pairs don't have to go to the same conference so long as they both end up in conferences of equal stature. Having one go to a "new SEC" and the other going to "another Conference USA" wouldn't be allowed. But if one of those pairs were to go gladly and voluntarily to another conference, either pair would be allowed to be split. The key is both schools of each pair must have a soft landing of their choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom