Oklahoma Wants out of Big XII | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Oklahoma Wants out of Big XII

They would take UNC if they could get them
NC State would want to Texas A&M out of UNC's shadow

Is the Sec really that desperate to get nc cable boxes?

Is the Sec really that desperate to get nc cable boxes?
NC is a growing state with a large southern population.
If the SEC expanded they wouldn't double dip into a state they already have a school.
NC would make a lot of sense if they expanded.
UNC is the king of the ACC they wouldn't leave the ACC to become a pawn/cog in the SEC unless the ACC blew up.
NC State would love to get out from UNCs shadow.

NC is a growing state with a large southern population.
If the SEC expanded they wouldn't double dip into a state they already have a school.
NC would make a lot of sense if they expanded.
UNC is the king of the ACC they wouldn't leave the ACC to become a pawn/cog in the SEC unless the ACC blew up.

Wouldn't Clemson be a lot more attractive? we were kings of the Big East and left.

Wouldn't Clemson be a lot more attractive? we were kings of the Big East and left.
Expansion is about $$$.
Clemson doesn't bring any new subscribers to the SECN. It is already on in SC because of South Carolina.
If the SEC expands it wants new markets like it got with Texas A&M in TX and Missouri in MO.
They would want a NC school most likely if they could choose because it would help expand the SECN onto cable boxes in NC and bring in more money.

USC-e would go bananas, plus it doesn't add enough new viewers compared to adding a new state. Same is true with Ga Tech, Fl State, and Louisville. The ideal situation is adding a school from VA and NC to complete "the missing corner". They would like UVA and UNC as the flagships, but would be satisfied with VPI and NC State. Bevo is a special case, and aTm may feel that Bama and LSU can make Bevo be on its best manners (which is why Bevo seems to prefer the ACC).

I believe the thinking is that the GoR goes away if a conference votes to disband.

As it stands now, Notre Dame will only join a conference if that is the only way they can get into the Playoff. For example, if there was a 4x16 with the four conference winners getting into the playoff and that was it, ND would be in a conference. As long as ND can remain independent in football and have access to the playoff (even if it requires an undefeated regular season), it will remain independent. The question that has never been asked of ND is whether it would remain independent in football if no other conference would take ND's Olympic sports. The Big East and ACC have accepted ND as a partial member. So long as ND can find a home for its Olympic sports, it has no reason to join a conference if it still has access to the CFP.

Notre Dame likely will always have a spot in the Big East for its basketball and Olympic sports.

Ideally for the UT fans: The SWC reforms with OU and OSU. In today's media world that won't happen.

If Notre Dame can survive as an indy...UT would like that too...problem is where do the Olympic Sports go? UT's Olympic sports are pretty much elite across the board. The ACC competitively would be their best spot. However, geography is tough to overcome.

If OU bolts to the B1G then UT will be forced to action. I can't predict but my guess is they do one of three things: ACC in a superconference of 20-24 full time teams to include ND, SEC to 16 with UT and OSU (Houston, TCU and TTech also considered), or INDY in FB (ND like deal for 5 ACC games) and Olympic Sports to the ACC.

The last option could be a 16/18 hybrid. UT and ND in the Prima Donna INDY bracket and the ACC brings in two among these teams to help travel and market penetration (TCU, Houston, Baylor, Tulane or SMU)

One thing I don't see happening is UT ever going to the PAC12. Texas looks east not west. Texas feels they are their own Republic in no region with other states. However, that Republic thinks/looks east of the 100 degree longitude line. The only part of Texas that matters is roughly a triangle from DFW to San Antonio to Houston. Schools in that triangle are likely lil brothers to come along with Bevo.
mr bevo doesn't have the national cache to go indy.

ND built theirs through WWII on up, UT is just a good football team...occasionally.

indy is not an option for them because no tv will pay for it...and then when you add, where do the Olympics go? its more than a dead option.

im telling ya, their best bet is to the b1g with okie, but that leaves the country a mess as far as expansion goes.

I can see nc state leaving the ACC as per your reasons...

mr bevo to the ACC (especially with no ncst) keeps things fluid and workable towards a gulp..stable ending...

Last edited:

ND built theirs through WWII on up, UT is just a good football team...occasionally.

indy is not an option for them because no tv will pay for it...and then when you add, where do the Olympics go? its more than a dead option.

im telling ya, their best bet is to the b1g with okie, but that leaves the country a mess as far as expansion goes.

mr bevo to the ACC, keeps things fluid and workable towards a gulp..stable ending...
Texas and ND to the ACC. The ACC solidifies itself as the best conference in the country academically and athletically.

The B1G continues the long, slow process of Rutgersization, unless it becomes a MAC level league.

The PAC 12 continues their weird ways and becomes the POT 12.

The SEC continues to cheat better than anyone and remains the conference of choice for illiterates and tobacco chewers. They will fight it out with the ACC for national championships every year.

The rest of the country...doesn't really matter.

mr bevo to the ACC (especially with no ncst) keeps things fluid and workable towards a gulp..stable ending...
I can't see Texas knelling before Ohio State and Michigan.
Oklahoma and Kansas gives BTN an elite football and elite basketball brand. Without the ego of Texas.
ACC won't expand without ND.
SEC if they can't get an ACC school are looking at
WVU/Texas/Oklahoma State/Kansas/Oklahoma as options.

Notre Dame likely will always have a spot in the Big East for its basketball and Olympic sports.
Exactly. And if not the Big East, every other non P5 conference in the country would line up to take ND's basketball and Olympic sports.

Exactly. And if not the Big East, every other non P5 conference in the country would line up to take ND's basketball and Olympic sports.
No other P5 conference would give ND Olympic sports a home without 5 game commitment from ND football.
The 5 annual games makes the deal work. ND is a quasi ACC football member.

No other P5 conference would give ND Olympic sports a home without 5 game commitment from ND football.
The 5 annual games makes the deal work. ND is a quasi ACC football member.
That's not what I said. I said "every other NON P5 conference."

That's not what I said. I said "every other NON P5 conference."
ND wouldn't join a non P5 conference it would kill their Olympic sports and ND cares about their Olympic sports.
ND could have stayed with Catholic schools when the BE blew up they didn't like that conference. So they gave the ACC 5 football games annually to get the deal done.

Contracts are made to be broken. The GOR is a speed bump. Look at Maryland and the ACC

There was no GOR when Maryland left. No team has left a conference with a GOR for good reason. The new conference would not have the rights to bargain with ESPN/FOX/ETC and the old conference would keep the money until the GOR ran out.

I can't see Texas knelling before Ohio State and Michigan.
Oklahoma and Kansas gives BTN an elite football and elite basketball brand. Without the ego of Texas.
ACC won't expand without ND.
SEC if they can't get an ACC school are looking at
WVU/Texas/Oklahoma State/Kansas/Oklahoma as options.
that is the biggest thing right there.

they will leave them be.

just like they will leave usc be.

and Bama, LSU, Fla etc...

they will see the ACC and think...we can dominate here.

I think that would pull ND in as indy will be hard way to schedule going forward.

no matter how you slice it, Syracuse football is totally flucked because whether its Atlantic or Coastal...2 of Fla St, Clemson, Texas and ND will be in the way.

but at least we will have great games in the Dome!!

ND wouldn't join a non P5 conference it would kill their Olympic sports and ND cares about their Olympic sports.
ND could have stayed with Catholic schools when the BE blew up they didn't like that conference. So they gave the ACC 5 football games annually to get the deal done.
I disagree. As it stands now, football independence is the number one issue for ND sports and as long as ND can get to the playoff and be independent, it will do so even if it means putting the Olympic sports into a non P5 conference like the Big East or the American. Now, as long as P5 conferences allow ND to be a quasi member, that will never be tested. But up until now, ND has not given any inclination that Olympic sports affiliation will be the driving force to make ND join a conference for football.

I disagree. As it stands now, football independence is the number one issue for ND sports and as long as ND can get to the playoff and be independent, it will do so even if it means putting the Olympic sports into a non P5 conference like the Big East or the American. Now, as long as P5 conferences allow ND to be a quasi member, that will never be tested. But up until now, ND has not given any inclination that Olympic sports affiliation will be the driving force to make ND join a conference for football.
Notre Dame could've controlled their entire schedule for football and remained with the Big East basketball Catholic schools.
However Notre Dame didn't want to stay with the Big East Catholic schools and agreed to join the ACC by giving them five football games annually.
ND didn't want to be in the BE without the FB schools.

Notre Dame could've controlled their entire schedule for football and remained with the Big East basketball Catholic schools.
However Notre Dame didn't want to stay with the Big East Catholic schools and agreed to join the ACC by giving them five football games annually.
ND didn't want to be in the BE without the FB schools.
You may be right. ND would rather be in the ACC than the BE for Olympic sports. But ND giving up football independence because of Olympic sports is not accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom