Class of 2015 - OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI

well i have shared everything good and bad with you all so I will again. Yesterday i got phone call from Eric he wanted to let me know he already pulled shys sat score (I hadnt even called shy to do it it was so early) He said shys score went up 20 more points. He said by the numbers shy would need 1 a and the rest b's to qualify. i have been in constant contact with the school and shys teachers and was sure Shy had the required grades. Until last night. some how shy in the last week dropped to a 73 in algebra. She emailed me to let me know he didnt finish his final today. Shy has extended time for testing and will be able to take the test again today. He has all the required grades in every other class. this could be the only hold up. For those of you who follow shy on twitter please just give him some space. He is as stressed as a 17 yearold can possibly be. Dont even wish him well please. to make matters worse the teacher has informed me she wont have his final grade till Tuesday so we wont even know until then. I literally cant believe this is coming down to the absolute last minute. He doesnt even want to go to his prom he is so freaked out. He doesnt want to go to states for track tomorrow and he has been really looking forward to that. I cant tell you guys how much this really sucks. Its not over and he was up studying this morning at 5 ( we skipped lifting this week to let him prepare for finals) he says he will pull it off. I emailed the teacher and guidance to again stress how important this day really is. I will let you all know as soon as i know...untill then I just want to throw up.

Stay positive, Bam--and thanks for the update. Best of luck to Shy today.

well i have shared everything good and bad with you all so I will again. Yesterday i got phone call from Eric he wanted to let me know he already pulled shys sat score (I hadnt even called shy to do it it was so early) He said shys score went up 20 more points. He said by the numbers shy would need 1 a and the rest b's to qualify. i have been in constant contact with the school and shys teachers and was sure Shy had the required grades. Until last night. some how shy in the last week dropped to a 73 in algebra. She emailed me to let me know he didnt finish his final today. Shy has extended time for testing and will be able to take the test again today. He has all the required grades in every other class. this could be the only hold up. For those of you who follow shy on twitter please just give him some space. He is as stressed as a 17 yearold can possibly be. Dont even wish him well please. to make matters worse the teacher has informed me she wont have his final grade till Tuesday so we wont even know until then. I literally cant believe this is coming down to the absolute last minute. He doesnt even want to go to his prom he is so freaked out. He doesnt want to go to states for track tomorrow and he has been really looking forward to that. I cant tell you guys how much this really sucks. Its not over and he was up studying this morning at 5 ( we skipped lifting this week to let him prepare for finals) he says he will pull it off. I emailed the teacher and guidance to again stress how important this day really is. I will let you all know as soon as i know...untill then I just want to throw up.

Praying for you guys.

Take a breath. Again can he do anything else for exta cedit in that class and is signed up for another sat. And typing on this phone is a pia.:(

Thanks everyone! I just got 3 emails from other teachers seems to be shaping up as A in English A in Spanish 1 B in Spanish 2 B in psychology B in we are waiting on sociology (I have been told its a high b though not official) and algebra. I also just talked with eric again they are working on getting him adjustments threw the ncaa for his honor classes that will help if we come a little short in algebra. Still need a good score on this final but the stomach pain has subsided slightly.

Take a breath. Again can he do anything else for exta cedit in that class and is signed up for another sat. And typing on this phone is a pia.:(
lol welcome to my life its always from the phone. His math teacher has given him 2 assignments to take again and turn in before Tuesday. But again we are 3 and 1/2 hours away from his high school career being over. yes we do have the sat and act in our ;pocket next week but again he has taken them 5 times each as of now and come up 60 points from his first attempt. Im hoping for the grades to put this stress behind us.

Thanks everyone! I just got 3 emails from other teachers seems to be shaping up as A in English A in Spanish 1 B in Spanish 2 B in psychology B in we are waiting on sociology (I have been told its a high b though not official) and algebra. I also just talked with eric again they are working on getting him adjustments threw the ncaa for his honor classes that will help if we come a little short in algebra. Still need a good score on this final but the stomach pain has subsided slightly.
Despite excelling in other academics my graduation still came down to passing a math class my senior year. Always had awful issues with math so I sort of had the same worries going into my finals my senior year. All I can offer for advice is to get his studies in and stay relaxed. Get a big breakfast in and just remain calm, do your work and you'll have nothing to worry about. Leave it all on the field.

I assume that, if worst comes to worst, he'd probably be able to take a summer course to get qualified, right? It might delay him in getting to SU a month or so, but still, if it comes to that there are obviously options. If it's only ONE course in which he needs the grade, I'm positive he'll be able to get it settled and be on the field this fall.

I assume that, if worst comes to worst, he'd probably be able to take a summer course to get qualified, right? It might delay him in getting to SU a month or so, but still, if it comes to that there are obviously options. If it's only ONE course in which he needs the grade, I'm positive he'll be able to get it settled and be on the field this fall.
No unfortunately one thing that adds to the tension here is this is not an option. Again the disadvantage of being from mass and mass academic standards. Shy is taking 2 spanish classes this year even though he has passed 2 spanish classes in mass when he retook spanish as a summer class they only award pass fail grades not a number or letter grade. so he will not have the option to take summer classes. his only options will be higher sat or act score or making the gpa with this class.

Bam- thanks for sharing. I hope everyone is respecting your wishes and letting shy focus on his studies. All of Orange Nation is rooting for him!

With the amount of contact you've had with his teachers, they must know how important this is and I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to help him out. There's pressure on Shy, but there's also some pressure on the teachers too. If they're like most teachers, I'm sure they're pulling for him. There's no one at his school who can say he hasn't worked his butt off to get to SU. It's a great credit to him and to you. Good luck!

With the amount of contact you've had with his teachers, they must know how important this is and I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to help him out. There's pressure on Shy, but there's also some pressure on the teachers too. If they're like most teachers, I'm sure they're pulling for him. There's no one at his school who can say he hasn't worked his butt off to get to SU. It's a great credit to him and to you. Good luck!
Plus, Shy seems like a great kid and I'm sure the teachers know that, and will do whatever they can to help him. Most teachers want to see their students succeed, especially if they are good kids.

In an earlier post you said he needed 1 A and the rest B's. If he has 2 A's, 2 B's and a C that is the same GPA...am I wrong here??? On a 4.0 scale this is the same. Why would this not work?

In an earlier post you said he needed 1 A and the rest B's. If he has 2 A's, 2 B's and a C that is the same GPA...am I wrong here??? On a 4.0 scale this is the same. Why would this not work?
eric indicated this may be a possibility. depending on actual grade scored. it will be close. the big problem i have with yesterday is he had a 90 8 days before this. as i said the teacher hadn't told us of the change to that. if she had we wouldnt be scrambling with 1 1/2 hours to go. she is working with us but seemed surprised in her email last night. she acted as if she had no idea of the gravity of his grade. I cant imagine how she didnt know with the guidance department and us talking about this for months now.

Holy crap - it dropped from a 90 to a 73 in eight days? That's insane. That's the kind of precipitous drop you'd think they might have thought was worth mentioning.

Holy crap - it dropped from a 90 to a 73 in eight days? That's insane. That's the kind of precipitous drop you'd think they might have thought was worth mentioning.
exactly I have been saying all along we have no problems he is all set. apparently the teacher figured it was a good time to introduce compound interest and shy got lost. He says he went for extra help but still isnt comfortable. his ghrade dropped and its a big part of this final he is having trouble with

eric indicated this may be a possibility. depending on actual grade scored. it will be close. the big problem i have with yesterday is he had a 90 8 days before this. as i said the teacher hadn't told us of the change to that. if she had we wouldnt be scrambling with 1 1/2 hours to go. she is working with us but seemed surprised in her email last night. she acted as if she had no idea of the gravity of his grade. I cant imagine how she didnt know with the guidance department and us talking about this for months now.
I agree with your frustration here. Hoping it all works out. Good luck.

Hang in there Bam, it's all going to work out, Shy has been going so hard, that when he finally comes through it, the joy and excitement will be utterly astounding.

Bambrewer said:
exactly I have been saying all along we have no problems he is all set. apparently the teacher figured it was a good time to introduce compound interest and shy got lost. He says he went for extra help but still isnt comfortable. his ghrade dropped and its a big part of this final he is having trouble with

I'll do my best to transmit my accounting knowledge through electromagnetic waves into Shy's mind.

The fact that notification took 8 days... :bang:

Our school district would have that info to parents same day

I guess it's just more the realization that 4 years hundreds of assignments dozens and dozens of quizzes and tests all comes down to this one test. He is more relaxed tonite. We will have to wait for his final 2 subject grades till at least Tuesday maybe later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom