On Benny Williams...I changed my mind... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

On Benny Williams...I changed my mind...

And he was dead serious.

Yes he was. I still think we see it some in certain situations. He’ll put Jimmy at the high post and have Benny running baseline with the 3 shooters around the perimeter.

The problem w this team is we may have trouble scoring against teams that play smothering defense. Im afraid of what houston did to us last year and not sure weve fixed the issue. Well light up teams that play soft d.
Don't most teams have trouble scoring against teams that play smothering defense?

This team uses screens better than any JB team. They curl or flair really well depending on how the defense plays. They are getting wide open looks. Joe has been great making the correct pass.

Jimmy does a nice job as a screener as does Cole. Benny will get there too. Makes a big difference as last year seemed the only guy who could set a solid screen was QG.

Don't most teams have trouble scoring against teams that play smothering defense?

Somewhat. I think some teams have players that you can’t play up on as much unless you want to get burned. Its why some teams may be better against a press. I don’t think we have those guys.

The problem w this team is we may have trouble scoring against teams that play smothering defense. Im afraid of what houston did to us last year and not sure weve fixed the issue. Well light up teams that play soft d.
But Houston was a top 5 defensive team per KenPom. Other than Virginia, we won’t be playing many smothering top 10 defensive teams this season. San Diego was a top 25 defensive unit, and we handled them just fine in the tourney and we were good against UVA in the ACC tourney. I’m not too worried about our offense, but I am concerned about our own defense. We may have to outscore some teams in those early season B4A and December games to grab some quality wins, and I think that’s totally doable.

But Houston was a top 5 defensive team per KenPom. Other than Virginia, we won’t be playing many smothering top 10 defensive teams this season. San Diego was a top 25 defensive unit, and we handled them just fine in the tourney and we were good against UVA in the ACC tourney. I’m not too worried about our offense, but I am concerned about our own defense. We may have to outscore some teams in those early season B4A and December games to grab some quality wins, and I think that’s totally doable.
We were a mess for long stretches of last season, but the way we started playing down the stretch, and especially in the UVA loss, was top 25 caliber - which is why I was really excited and hopeful for the dance (and we did not disappoint).

It had to do with both how we were playing defense, and how the offense became suddenly (thank you BB) functional. Setting aside the opponents - this team looks offensively functional right out of the gate. They have a good idea of what they want to do, and the ability to do it. I think the unknowns are Benny and the O that he can ultimately bring, and how to properly incorporate what Jesse has become as well. Defensively, we have work to do, but I like the length and the parts.

Bottom line, I think we are light years ahead of where we were last year - and will throw some sophisticated offense at our opponents right out of the gate. And there is serious upside as Benny and Jesse (and dare I say, Sid) come online.

Yes but teams that have only one reliable shooter that is not great at getting his own shot do worse than others. Hopefully, it'll be less of a problem this year.

Benny helps out this team in a lot of areas that we need help: athleticism, rebounding, getting in the lane, play-making, etc. Personally, don't care a ton if he starts or is sixth man as long as he plays the right amount of minutes. We discussed him more on the pod this week.

And he was dead serious.
It's going to get very interesting.

Only other option is put Cole up top when Buddy needs a break with one of the two PG's, to allow Benny, Jimmy Jr. and Jesse in the middle.

But we know Buddy is going to sit approximately 1-2 min/game. That's not moving the needle much.

Junior starting is a foregone conclusion and it wouldn't be happening if his name was Smith. Let's be honest about that. My concern is minutes and as I have said before will Benny become the "he's not ready to play" guy this year.

This type of post all year long is going to make this board unreadable. So we have to claim nepotism before we have even a shred of evidence? Give it a rest. The season hasn't even started.

Jimmy is a really good player. Benny will play in the NBA.
I agree. What I said is still true, though.

Whether people agree with it is a debate but if you took the two players and only changed Jimmy’s last name, Jimmy would still start.

I don’t think it’s a good or bad thing. And either one would/will be a very good sixth man relative to the rest of the sport.

I've been expecting Jimmy to start over Benny because of the experience factor...at least through November & December. But in 25 minutes tonight, he filled the stat sheet...

View attachment 209979
In those minutes he had 5 steals, 1 block, 5 rebounds, 3 of 3 FT and was 4-5 from the field.

I know JB always favors experience like Jimmy's early in the schedule, but I also know JB can see from the sideline when a guy like Benny with all his gifts is making plays all over the court. You know how he liked Marek? He makes the defense better, he makes the rebounding better, he makes the ball movement better...

How can he keep Benny off the court when facing the toughest opponents?
He won't, of course, cuz Benny will play A LOT even if he does come off the bench.

The question I'm entertaining is if perhaps JB is seeing a reason now for why he might want to put Benny in the starting line up from the get go. No, his game isn't perfect. He's not The Guy--right now, anyway--that you're gonna turn to when the team needs a bucket. But it's everything else that's so important & JB sees it clearly.

So what I'm saying is I think there's a chance, now, of Benny replacing Jimmy in the starting line up.

**Edit: JB has certain coaching 'instincts' he relies on. #1 is he always will turn to experienced players if he's got them. It's probably his most reliable tendency. That instinct keeps telling him Jimmy's the one, at least over the next 2 months.

But Jim Boeheim also has a special appreciation for super-talented big guys--Derrick Coleman comes to mind--who show him they have the physical talent & instincts to go after the ball, make a steal, grab a rebound. I got this sense in this game that Benny's showing him that he's gonna win some big games down the road, that he's a powerful weapon to develop.

In other words, JB's probably already treasuring Benny the way he treasured DC.

But what complicates JB's decision is the fact that Benny seems comfortable with 1) coming off the bench at this early point in the season & 2) seems content with the idea of a 2-yr career at SU. That reality gives JB an additional reason to lean into his pro-experience bias. And yeah, it would be nice to start Jimmy if he can really justify it to the rest of his coaching instincts.

I don't know when or if Benny will start this year, but I think that JB is gonna be feeling torn between those two competing instincts this year: 1) bet it all on experience, as the never-questioned constant priority, or 2) go with his other instinct which is to always have a multi-talented athlete like Benny on the court any time the game is in doubt.

I'm thinking he's really wavering on these two considerations. Of course, there's always the possibility that he will do both as we've always speculated: start Jimmy until January & then make a line up change. That way he could yield to both of the competing instincts and just embrace them at different times.

We shall see...
It was also a D2 school. Let’s see how things shake out

We were a mess for long stretches of last season, but the way we started playing down the stretch, and especially in the UVA loss, was top 25 caliber - which is why I was really excited and hopeful for the dance (and we did not disappoint).

It had to do with both how we were playing defense, and how the offense became suddenly (thank you BB) functional. Setting aside the opponents - this team looks offensively functional right out of the gate. They have a good idea of what they want to do, and the ability to do it. I think the unknowns are Benny and the O that he can ultimately bring, and how to properly incorporate what Jesse has become as well. Defensively, we have work to do, but I like the length and the parts.

Bottom line, I think we are light years ahead of where we were last year - and will throw some sophisticated offense at our opponents right out of the gate. And there is serious upside as Benny and Jesse (and dare I say, Sid) come online.
I like the way you think. :cool:

Shooting was off for the Houston game. Shooting well and making baskets usually beats good defense. I think this year's team is a better shooting team than last year so my expectations are higher.

Shooting was off for the Houston game. Shooting well and making baskets usually beats good defense. I think this year's team is a better shooting team than last year so my expectations are higher.

You’re advancing a circular argument. We shot bad because Houston played good defense. Houston was better than us last year. Girard couldn’t even get the ball to half court against the WV press.

I distinctly remember Marek throwing the ball about 10 feet or Girards head against WVU. He may have got fouled, but the ending of that game wasn’t just on Joe.

i didnt say he turned it over. i said he couldnt get the ball past half court. he couldn't get open.
Watch the end of the game again. Marek threw the ball 10 feet over his head or it would have been over.

I distinctly remember Marek throwing the ball about 10 feet or Girards head against WVU. He may have got fouled, but the ending of that game wasn’t just on Joe.

Marek both times threw it into the corner to Braswell.

Watch the end of the game again. Marek threw the ball 10 feet over his head or it would have been over.

I did because admittedly, it was an anxiety inducing experience so my recollection could have been affected. I dont know how you can say it wouldve over. A pg needs to get the ball and get it over half court.

I did because admittedly, it was an anxiety inducing experience so my recollection could have been affected. I dont know how you can say it wouldve over. A pg needs to get the ball and get it over half court.

Listen I am not a Girard defender by any means, but Marek made a lot of mistakes down the stretch that had nothing to do with Girard. I get narrative though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom