one comment on # of guys that play | Syracusefan.com

one comment on # of guys that play

nobody on arizona played 40 minutes last night in a game they trailed. in fact nobody played more than 35.

It' s not the number of guys off the bench...it's getting some production off the bench. Unfortunately except for BMK our other two bench guys haven't given us a spark, they're mostly just placeholders for a few minutes (as in try not to do anything bad while you're in their).

ACC top ten minutes per game.

38.857C.J. Fair (SU)
38.0Tyler Ennis (SU)
37.875Pat Connaughton (ND)
37.75Eric Atkins (ND)
36.857Jerami Grant (SU)
36.0Joe Rahon (BC)
36.0Marcus Paige (UNC)
35.25Devin Wilson (VT)
35.0Marcus Georges-Hunt (GT)
34.875Garrius Adams (MIA)

any familiar names?
(edit fyi cooney is #13 at 34.)

Something else of note only one team is undefeated in conference. You know the team with 3 guys in the top 5 and none of them have fouled out of a game yet in conference either.
I would like Roberson and G to play more as well but not at the expense of winning and our games for the most part have been pretty close until the last few minutes.

It' s not the number of guys off the bench...it's getting some production off the bench. Unfortunately except for BMK our other two bench guys haven't given us a spark, they're mostly just placeholders for a few minutes (as in try not to do anything bad while you're in their).

No doubt this is a different bench than say the 09 team where Scoop and Kris really brought it off the bench and were as good as some of our starters. This is more of a buying a few minutes bench so far for our starting guards and forwards. Rak can play the 4 if needed but with only 2 centers left I think JB would press Roberson into action if that was the case. He's getting closer to being productive and certainly not hurting us while being out there. MikeG is fine in his minutes IMO he just isn't really a PG and doesn't pose the threat level Cooney does as of yet offensively.

ACC top ten minutes per game.

38.857C.J. Fair (SU)
38.0Tyler Ennis (SU)
37.875Pat Connaughton (ND)
37.75Eric Atkins (ND)
36.857Jerami Grant (SU)
36.0Joe Rahon (BC)
36.0Marcus Paige (UNC)
35.25Devin Wilson (VT)
35.0Marcus Georges-Hunt (GT)
34.875Garrius Adams (MIA)

any familiar names?
(edit fyi cooney is #13 at 34.)

I want to know why the he!! JB is resting Fair 1.143 minutes per game, and why Ennis is out 2 minutes per game. These are young kids, Jimmy, don't baby them.

nobody on arizona played 40 minutes last night in a game they trailed. in fact nobody played more than 35.

The big difference is that Arizona is playing wide open up and down games while our games have been slow and methodical. So ther depth for us only becomes a factor when foul trouble comes in to play. i really haven't seen a game yet where our guys look gassed. Saturday may be different as I think duke is going to try to speed up the game.

As for depth, i'm not totally comfortable with G at the point for too long.

Arizona plays 7 guys every game. They have an 8th man who sees less than Tyler Roberson sees in a game so for all of the "we need to develop a bench" argument...

Save it

IMHO, we need Roberson to get some minutes to move Grant to the 5 for a minute or 2 at a time...

As you saw last night, we can dangerously close to having to do that in crunch time. I'd rather do it in the 1st half and have a more offensive team in there.

*EDIT* The reason we have to do that, is our defense tends to over play and in turn funnel players into our shot blocking bigs who in turn tend to foul more often. We no longer have 15 fouls at the Center position. We used 9/10 last night.

Grant at the 5? He is uber athletic, but don't see that happening unless centers foul out. Boeheim has an obvious rotation and doesn't look like he will deviate unless there are foul outs. It's looking like Ginbiije at the guard spot and Keita at center, with a little Roberson thrown in to spell the forwards. If Duke is able to speed up the game, possibly more minutes for Gbinije at the pg but that's risky against a team that might press. That's 7+ players. Would love to see the other two freshman because it would mean that they are showing something in practice. That does not appear to be happening.

It' s not the number of guys off the bench...it's getting some production off the bench. Unfortunately except for BMK our other two bench guys haven't given us a spark, they're mostly just placeholders for a few minutes (as in try not to do anything bad while you're in their).[/quo

There's no excuse for this guys playing so many minutes and I think it's completely counter-productive. It's not like syracuse isn't recruiting well and doesn't have players that can contribute. JB has a great record but everything he does isn't always the best No matter who he has on the bench he still won't play more than 7 guys. Two years a go he kept the best player in the team (MCW) on the bench for most of the season. If you think he couldn't have played or didn't deserve more minutes then you're wearing your JB blinders

Arizona plays 7 guys every game. They have an 8th man who sees less than Tyler Roberson sees in a game so for all of the "we need to develop a bench" argument...

Save it

So, at no point during last night's game did you wish we had spent more time developing our bench? Roberson and Gbinje did an amazing job considering the situation they were thrown into.

So, at no point during last night's game did you wish we had spent more time developing our bench? Roberson and Gbinje did an amazing job considering the situation they were thrown into.

Amazing, no. Adequate, yes. Roberson threw up a quick shot that led to a run out. MG hit a big three, but that was it. What they both did do was play adequate defense. Neither is ready for prime time this year...

Amazing, no. Adequate, yes. Roberson threw up a quick shot that led to a run out. MG hit a big three, but that was it. What they both did do was play adequate defense. Neither is ready for prime time this year...

2 starters in foul trouble, another in a funk. On the road. That was prime time., and they performed well. Adequate in that scenario given their prior experience is amazing in my book. Best way to get ready is though experience.

There was a sequence which led to a steal and a bucket for us as well. I believe Roberson knocked a ball away from a Wake player and Roberson or Keita grabbed it. Roberson had great energy. He is underappreciated on this board. If they don't perform the way they do for those 3-5 minutes Wake could have either pulled ahead, or if B hooked 'em, risk getting one of our starters in worse foul trouble.

As good pom pom twinkling Syracuse fans, we should shower our love on all players, no? Not just the starters and pre-season POYs.

In the 1975 NCAA championship game, Wooden's last title at UCLA, the Bruins went 6 deep. Four starters played 40 minutes. Marques Johnson played 26, had foul trouble. His sub, Drollinger, played the other 14. That was it.

So, how deep does a team have to be in order to win?

The majority of teams play 7-8 guys. I think this issue is overblown every year. Silent G can play 3 positions, Roberson can play either forward position and BMK is one of the best back up Centers in America. Would it be nice if Roberson was further along and Silent G was more aggressive on offense - sure. And it would be nice to have Coleman healthy and we had been able to land a true backup point guard. But I'm OK with where we are right now and would not want to sacrifice any wins just to get Roberson some additional playing time. BMK and Silent G already get significant playing time. Patterson does not bring enough to the table to play right now and BJ is not physically ready to make an impact.

In the 1975 NCAA championship game, Wooden's last title at UCLA, the Bruins went 6 deep. Four starters played 40 minutes. Marques Johnson played 26, had foul trouble. His sub, Drollinger, played the other 14. That was it.

So, how deep does a team have to be in order to win?

sure, if you avoid foul trouble and injuries, you don't need depth

what people are concerned about is the emergency situation . . . One of our big 4 picks up 3 early fouls in the 2nd round game, then a quick one in the 2nd half, and the best team in the nation might not see the second weekend because we don't have a decent backup to pick up the slack.

it's not a complaint, its a concern. and its both valid and fresh in the mind (2010)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom