Orangemen and the NBA... | Syracusefan.com

Orangemen and the NBA...

tinyarch

Walk On
Minnesota fan here. Coming over here mainly because of the Gophs playing the Orange in football. However, we Minnesota fans have a bit of a bad taste for orange as our Twolves have picked a few Orangemen in the first round of the draft and they have flopped royally. Does anyone here have a good explanation for why Carmelo Anthony is basically the only Orangeman worth talking about in the NBA?

Is it that players can't figure out how to play man-to-man and make the rotations in the NBA? Is it that as individual players they have some major flaws that get exposed in the NBA, but the team play of Coach Boeheim covers up the individual flaws? Or is it...(add your own thoughts).

Finally, perhaps I'm missing a whole bunch of players that have had good to great NBA careers and I'm just biased by the complete flops that have been picked by the Twolves. When the Twolves picked Flynn and Johnson I had high hopes. What gives with the Orangemen when they move on to the NBA?

Minnesota has been where young promising orange talent has gone to die. I honestly have no idea why they flopped. Other than Jonny Flynn who had knee issues, I have no clue.

Minnesota has been where young promising orange talent has gone to die. I honestly have no idea why they flopped. Other than Jonny Flynn who had knee issues, I have no clue.

Wasn't his hip a bigger issue than anything?

And I just don't think Flynn or Wes were good fits in Minnesota. Wes is playing pretty well in LA now. Flynn will never recover completely from his hip injury, but yeah, I think Wes could have been a solid starter if he had been put in a system where he fit. Don't think he was ever destined for stardom regardless. He was a bit of a reach where Minnesota took him IMO.

Minnesota fan here. Coming over here mainly because of the Gophs playing the Orange in football. However, we Minnesota fans have a bit of a bad taste for orange as our Twolves have picked a few Orangemen in the first round of the draft and they have flopped royally. Does anyone here have a good explanation for why Carmelo Anthony is basically the only Orangeman worth talking about in the NBA?

Is it that players can't figure out how to play man-to-man and make the rotations in the NBA? Is it that as individual players they have some major flaws that get exposed in the NBA, but the team play of Coach Boeheim covers up the individual flaws? Or is it...(add your own thoughts).

Finally, perhaps I'm missing a whole bunch of players that have had good to great NBA careers and I'm just biased by the complete flops that have been picked by the Twolves. When the Twolves picked Flynn and Johnson I had high hopes. What gives with the Orangemen when they move on to the NBA?

It probably is a little bit of all three of this plus a lot of this:
12 positions x 30 teams = 360 spots.
Not all those spots are rolling over and opening up, plus the colleges (360+) are putting 3-4 players per team into the "job market".
Just saying, the numbers says the odds are long and hard to be a player at Melo's level. You would expect the NBA All-Star game to be some version of North Carolina vs. Kentucky but its not, for the same reason.

Despite his problems, dion waiters is averaging about 15 a game for Cleveland.

Part of JB's success has always been that the 2-3 appeals to kids that don't like to play D or just are not good at it. Wait for it - everybody goes nuts.

The 2-3 is the most popular defense in youth basketball because it is the easiest to learn, execute and is very effective. Almost everyone has played it before or during high school so they think they know how to run it or at least where they fit into it. That has to be reassuring for most recruits.

JB has taken the 2-3 to a higher level and, of course, he recruits for it. He just knows how to fit the pieces together better than most.

I think there is something to the notion that our guys are not naturals for the NBA but I could care less as the NBA is a very different game.

Wasn't Flynn's ability (or lack thereof) to play defense was seriously exposed in the NBA?

Wesley Johnson hasn't lived up the 4th pick hype...yet. First off, he should've never been drafted that high. Secondly, he's working out pretty well in LA. Just needed the right system to fit into.

Now go kick rocks.

Melo is Melo, MCW has been very good, and Dion has/had played well.

Wes lacked a handle and shouldn't have been drafted 4 but IIRC that was a weak draft class and Minnesota played him out of position. Flynn got hurt which has little to do with the 2-3 zone or where he went to college.

If dIon wasn't stuck in Kyries shi- hole he'd be doing alright.

Why would you visit and make that type of a post ? You try to put the blame on us, why don't you put the blame where it belongs on TWolves mgmt for making bad draft picks. Every major school has some kids who work out & others who disappoint. It is our job to win at the college level, and though, of course, as fans we want our own to succeed at the next level that is really secondary.

I suggest that you go back from where you came and have TWolves mgnt stick to drafting the best that Duluth can provide.

I'd say that it has a lot to do with your organization being third rate... pretty much like U of M's pecking order in the Big 10.

They do a great job when they draft for other teams. Ray Allen, Brandon Roy, Mario Chalmers, Ty Lawson, OJ Mayo.

They also traded their franchise for Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, and Ryan Gomes. Whoops.

How about the TWolves having a coach that stunk? Flynn put up very good numbers as a rookie, got injured, and never really recovered. Johnson is starting for the Lakers and doing reasonably well.

Since I live in Minneapolis, the answer to why a Minnesota fan would come to our board to make a douchey post is pretty self-evident.
man compared to the ACC fans from opposing teams who were by and large good contributors and posters, these Minny fans (with the exception of one guy on the football board) have been complete Dbags. Are we that way on whatever board they use too? Really find it interesting to see these things play out on these boards.

Why would you visit and make that type of a post ? You try to put the blame on us, why don't you put the blame where it belongs on TWolves mgmt for making bad draft picks. Every major school has some kids who work out & others who disappoint. It is our job to win at the college level, and though, of course, as fans we want our own to succeed at the next level that is really secondary.

I suggest that you go back from where you came and have TWolves mgnt stick to drafting the best that Duluth can provide.
Be careful, the M'polis Lakers won a few titles using that formula.

man compared to the ACC fans from opposing teams who were by and large good contributors and posters, these Minny fans (with the exception of one guy on the football board) have been complete Dbags. Are we that way on whatever board they use too? Really find it interesting to see these things play out on these boards.

Trust me, it really is bizarre. And I don't want to make the sweeping generalization that all members of the fanbase behave this way--but a disproportional amount do. I tried to warn you guys on one of those football threads you reference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom