Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft

If this is true, then it's an absolute no-brainer for him to go.

Having said that, I look at Mike Schmitz' (who is actually reputable compared to this guy) article about the risers and fallers from the Combine and he mentions Luka Samanic as the biggest riser of the Combine, going from #39 on the big board to potential first round consideration. This guy thinks Oshae went from outside the top 100 to now a potential first rounder. It just doesn't really work that way, especially with guys that were already in the public eye.

Schmitz went on to mention 16 guys that seem to be trending up after the Combine and Oshae was not one of them. Seems unlikely that this tweet is true.
Great post

But even if he was a borderline late first round potential to early 2nd to me it’s not a no brainer
to leave early unless you’re guaranteed first round!
Some even say lottery or stay for players. It really comes down to if he could improve his stock from coming back and obviously he can.

In this case I think he wants to leave and may do so thinking he is late first early second when in all reality he will probably not get drafted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok- call me old fashioned and unaware, clueless, what have. But when it comes to the Twitter, what have I missed? Mali retweets a post about OB- was it insulting, or what exactly? And now some morons engaging him on a tweet, what’s the debate all about anyway? So confused... :(:confused::oops:

Cuse fan tweets Malachi about how Brissett should return to school to win the championship. Malachi replies with a couple laughing emoji’s, and a putting the palm of the hand over your face emoji.

Other Cuse fan replies to Malachi that if he had returned to school, Cuse would’ve won it all and Malachi would’ve been drafted top 10.

That’s where I checked out, out of sheer aggravation at how annoying most sports fans are.

In going back to see what I missed:
Malachi explained how he was laughing because “you fans are funny”. Then he explained how everybody dreams of getting to the league and how most aren’t turning that down, and gave the opinion that Battle should’ve left last year.

When someone said his laughing could be interpreted as a poke against the school, Malachi replied with:

“Poke against the school I went to? Fans need to grasp the fact that we are MEN . Men make decisions . Going to Syracuse was AMAZING . But be drafted ? Even better . Why be upset as a fan ? That young man has a chance to make millions . You wouldn’t turn that down.”

Basically twitter fans are doing what they do. I appreciate Malachi’s candor.

The best/worst are the draft experts...”you’ll be a top ten pick next year.” Lol, yeah sure.

Last edited:
I wish the kid luck. I met him. Great kid. Very personable. But I didn't enjoy watching him clunk up all those 3's and not finish in the lane. I hope I'm wrong but I dont see him being a NBA player. I see him as a international player making a couple hundred grand a year. Which isn't bad. I dont see him getting a whole lot better. But Syracuse would be a better team next year with his leadership. I wish the kid well.

It’s funny how Mali got drafted based on his performance against Brogdan, but Brogdan stayed four years and is still playing a big role for Milwaukee in the playoffs. The question is, do you want to get drafted or actually have an NBA career?

It’s funny how Mali got drafted based on his performance against Brogdan, but Brogdan stayed four years and is still playing a big role for Milwaukee in the playoffs. The question is, do you want to get drafted or actually have an NBA career?

I know what the response to this is going to be, but most of these guys just want to get to the league and play basketball and get paid.

Of course, the longer they play in the NBA the more they make. But these guys, can get better development, coaching, access to facilities, doctors, S&C coaches, nutritionists than they could even dream of in college.

Some guys develop into great NBA players, and some don't. I don't think Mali regrets making his decision. Every player's dream is to make the NBA.

I don’t quite understand the logic that if he stays in college longer then he’ll have a better pro career. They have more time to work on their craft and with some of the world’s best coaching when they get to the NBA. If a first round pick (who more times than not, the organization gives every chance to succeed) isn’t able to make it in the league, then that player most likely wasn’t going to make it regardless.

All every one of these kids have dreamt about their entire life, has been to play in the NBA. When you have even the slightest opportunity, it’s very tough to turn that down.

Cuse fan tweets Malachi about how Brissett should return to school to win the championship. Malachi replies with a couple laughing emoji’s, and a putting the palm of the hand over your face emoji.

Other Cuse fan replies to Malachi that if he had returned to school, Cuse would’ve won it all and Malachi would’ve been drafted top 10.

That’s where I checked out, out of sheer aggravation at how annoying most sports fans are.

In going back to see what I missed:
Malachi explained how he was laughing because “you fans are funny”. Then he explained how everybody dreams of getting to the league and how most aren’t turning that down, and gave the opinion that Battle should’ve left last year.

When someone said his laughing could be interpreted as a poke against the school, Malachi replied with:

“Poke against the school I went to? Fans need to grasp the fact that we are MEN . Men make decisions . Going to Syracuse was AMAZING . But be drafted ? Even better . Why be upset as a fan ? That young man has a chance to make millions . You wouldn’t turn that down.”

Basically twitter fans are doing what they do. I appreciate Malachi’s candor.

The best/worst are the draft experts...”you’ll be a top ten pick next year.” Lol, yeah sure.
Good summary and Malachi came off better than our fans in the conversation.

I don’t quite understand the logic that if he stays in college longer then he’ll have a better pro career. They have more time to work on their craft and with some of the world’s best coaching when they get to the NBA. If a first round pick (who more times than not, the organization gives every chance to succeed) isn’t able to make it in the league, then that player most likely wasn’t going to make it regardless.

All every one of these kids have dreamt about their entire life, has been to play in the NBA. When you have even the slightest opportunity, it’s very tough to turn that down.
There’s something called maturity both physically and mentally. There’s more than just the talent to make it. The NBA doesn’t have to wait for these players to be ready to play because they can go out and draft the next shinny, new toy. You better show you can play early or you’re gone. Not many of these guys stay around very long.

Power, that’s great if Oshae is selected in the NBA draft and makes it into the NBA. I would be really happy for him.

However, in my following of the different publications and mock drafts, I have not seen his name even mentioned. Ironically, I have recently seen Tyrus’ name mentioned as a second round pick. That would be great if he was drafted.

Getting drafted/making it to the NBA is a dream/goal. Not getting drafted would not be the end of the world. There are numerous opportunities available in overseas leagues, G-league and whatever. If available, take the money and go.

If there is no money, come back to Syracuse for your junior year and work on the areas that need improvement which will make you more attractive to NBA. They have shown an interest with an invitation to the combine. Keep in mind that there is always a risk of injury but going back to college may be a better option than making some obscure roster in some developmental league.

Oshae has some good skills but development /experience is still needed. If there is no financial guarantee, then it would be best for Oshae to return, listen to the coaches, work on the areas that need improvement and produce in the games and be a leader.

Good luck Oshae.

There’s something called maturity both physically and mentally. There’s more than just the talent to make it. The NBA doesn’t have to wait for these players to be ready to play because they can go out and draft the next shinny, new toy. You better show you can play early or you’re gone. Not many of these guys stay around very long.

Exactly...lets not act like teams have long leashes with late first rounders and second round picks

Agreed. However, many may have a “get in while
you can” outlook, especially given how hard it is to stick. There’s no guarantee that the opportunity will be as good a year later. Sometimes it’s better, sometimes it’s worse. Every guy’s situation is different.

Then why didn't Gbinije make it?
It's funny that the NBA is made up of guys who spent 4-5 years in college learning to mature while the G-league and euroleagues are made up of college froshs and sophs who bailed early for the glamour of the league and flamed out.

The reality of these should he or shouldn’t he go conversations are simple. Many people assume they would stay in school given the same choice. Reality is given your major when you were in college if someone in that field offered you a 3 year multi million dollar job that required you to leave school most would do it. Even if it never materialized into those 2-3 years. Coming back can only really do one positive thing and that is increase his draft stock but the likelihood of that isn’t guaranteed. If he gets late first early second round he needs to bet on himself, which many of us would do on ourselves. Malachi was right, they dream of playing in college, but once that happens they set their sight on the ultimate prize. The NBA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom