OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers? | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers?

I’ve tried a lot of over the counter and some much better than others. There’s one at liquor city in Fayetteville, NY that’s a 5 pepper that’s good. I’ve had some good ones at restaurants too, but those are made on site.

OK, honest question, and I don't want to sound like a snob (because let's be serious, I'm not a snob, my very last post was about drinking too much Southern Comfort and barfing in someone's lawn): what's the appeal of getting a premade Bloody Mary mix?

Seems to me it's always been easy enough to mix up a bunch of bottled tomato juice, Worcestershire, horseradish, and a s---ton of hot sauces and celery salt. But maybe I'm missing something delicious that I need to learn about.

OK, honest question, and I don't want to sound like a snob (because let's be serious, I'm not a snob, my very last post was about drinking too much Southern Comfort and barfing in someone's lawn): what's the appeal of getting a premade Bloody Mary mix?

Seems to me it's always been easy enough to mix up a bunch of bottled tomato juice, Worcestershire, horseradish, and a s---ton of hot sauces and celery salt. But maybe I'm missing something delicious that I need to learn about.
Simplicity.

Back to the bourbon/whiskey topic

Picked up a bottle of Uncle Nearest a couple weeks ago. It seems like it is getting wider distribution. And enjoyed it very much
Starting to show up on some top bourbon lists. Will have to try it.

If you were to select one bourbon or rye that is easily accessible in most liquor stores that's less than $60/bottle (750ml) what would you go with?
Woodinville Straight Bourbon

If I had to pick a rye, it would be a tough call. I'd probably go with Knob or High West Double.

Last edited:
Ive come to realize while I drink bourbon, I am not a "bourbon drinker".

What i mean is this- I spend $5 a can or more on really good craft beer. Without blinking. But when I want a bourbon, scotch, or whiskey, I want something easy, and cheap, that just helps me relax. So I have zero problem reaching for $12 a bottle Heaven Hill white label, or $15 Grants scotch. I dont pretend they are awesome, but I enjoy them for what they are.

In terms of working your way up to drink the whiskey types, I had the same problem. Couldn't stand the stuff when I was younger. Then I tried Southern Comfort and ginger ale. Very sweet, super easy for a young guy to drink. Fast forward a few years and I traveled with guys who would buy a big bottle of whiskey and sit in the lounge at hotels, work, and drink a few. So I would add ginger ale (always available in a Marriott lounge) and imbibe with them. Eventually began using less and less ginger ale. Now I never use soda with the whiskey or bourbon.

Have tried scotch a bunch of times and just have resigned myself to the fact that I don't like the peaty style.
Try some Speyside. Not usually peaty. The Glenlivet or The Balvenie.

Recent finds include Stagg Jr. batch 13 & 14, Makers Mark 46 Cask Strength, Sam Houston 14... AND a Thomas H Handy Sazarac Rye!! (2019).

All at retail.

Cracked open my Michters 10 year to celebrate my first real estate transaction as well, very good juice!
How did the 10 year compare to the regular single barrel or unblended? Is it worth 3x the price?

How did the 10 year compare to the regular single barrel or unblended? Is it worth 3x the price?
I'm a big fan of the unblended whiskey and small batch that are both around $50?

The M10 is a very interesting bottle, more baking spice than I've really ever had. Very complex. I'm still trying to develop my palate so it's hard for me to say it's worth $120. Would definitely buy it again at retail though.

If you were to select one bourbon or rye that is easily accessible in most liquor stores that's less than $60/bottle (750ml) what would you go with?
Russel's Reserve single barrel or if you want something of higher proof, Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Both top notch!

I'm a big fan of the unblended whiskey and small batch that are both around $50?

The M10 is a very interesting bottle, more baking spice than I've really ever had. Very complex. I'm still trying to develop my palate so it's hard for me to say it's worth $120. Would definitely buy it again at retail though.
Nice I'm likely going to splurge. My last spendy bottle was the Knob Creek 15 year. I'm going top it this weekend

Ive come to realize while I drink bourbon, I am not a "bourbon drinker".

What i mean is this- I spend $5 a can or more on really good craft beer. Without blinking. But when I want a bourbon, scotch, or whiskey, I want something easy, and cheap, that just helps me relax. So I have zero problem reaching for $12 a bottle Heaven Hill white label, or $15 Grants scotch. I dont pretend they are awesome, but I enjoy them for what they are.

When I got into bourbon I bought some really Good middle to high end stuff That I enjoyed. But being the cheap bastard I am, I settled on Rittenhouse Rye, Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey 101 (which is my base bourbon for old fashioneds). I used to be able to grab Weller special reserve and antique at will up until a few years ago (now you have to know when it hits the Local market and ask for it).

If you're looking for harder to find whiskies I can recommend Seneca wine and liquor on West Seneca turnpike in the valley. He always has a Nice selection of stuff you don't see everyday, on the counter in front of the more common bottles.

Little Noah's Mill to take the edge off having to watch the Jets play on Thursday night...

Woodinville Straight Bourbon

If I had to pick a rye, it would be a tough call. I'd probably go with Knob or High West Double.

Rye has made a huge comeback since the 1920s. Rye is a beautiful spirit and right there with the best bourbons. Cheers:)

If you're looking for harder to find whiskies I can recommend Seneca wine and liquor on West Seneca turnpike in the valley. He always has a Nice selection of stuff you don't see everyday, on the counter in front of the more common bottles.

Nice, thanks. Locally I think beer selection has way outpaced good liquor selection, 99% of liquor stores seem to stick to more generic stuff. The exceptions where I shop are Harborview, Vinomania, and Cork Monkey. But I'll have to swing by West Seneca soon.

Nice, thanks. Locally I think beer selection has way outpaced good liquor selection, 99% of liquor stores seem to stick to more generic stuff. The exceptions where I shop are Harborview, Vinomania, and Cork Monkey. But I'll have to swing by West Seneca soon.
Best to not go after dark. Kind of a tough neighborhood.

FYI for any Stumpies here: Don Leopold is hosting a Zoom talk on American whiskey next Friday. You can register through the alumni association; it's part of the virtual homecoming.
I watched a bit of it. Cool stuff.

ACC499CB-1B59-4DA6-AD80-7B87355ECFE4.jpeg

I watched a bit of it. Cool stuff.

View attachment 188863
I was there! I asked which species of Japanese white oak he mentioned was so great for barrels. It turns out to be a species that grows well in the Syracuse area (and that I've had, but was killed by a buck rub while I was in grad school). I'm about to purchase a woodlot out there, maybe I should devote some space to it as a long-term investment.

I was there! I asked which species of Japanese white oak he mentioned was so great for barrels. It turns out to be a species that grows well in the Syracuse area (and that I've had, but was killed by a buck rub while I was in grad school). I'm about to purchase a woodlot out there, maybe I should devote some space to it as a long-term investment.
I heard that one actually. Took him a minute to remember, right?

I heard that one actually. Took him a minute to remember, right?
Yep; Quercus mongolica. Very large range and by coincidence I just got a new seed source for it from Russia to replace my previous plant. Hopefully there isn't too much variation in barrel-quality over that huge native range and my Russian seedlings are just as good as the Japanese.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom