OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers? | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers?

Has anyone ever tried Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey? Small batch hand crafted whiskey out of Denver.

Has anyone ever tried Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey? Small batch hand crafted whiskey out of Denver.
I have, but it was a few years ago. It wasn’t bad.

If you were to select one bourbon or rye that is easily accessible in most liquor stores that's less than $60/bottle (750ml) what would you go with?

So many options here. your heaven hill and brown Forman brands are great. I’m. Big “pound for pound” drinker. And by that I mean quality fit for best value.

Gentleman jack is hands down my all time favorite for quality for value (Tennessee whiskey though not a bourbon). Here are a few names:

rittenhouse rye
Lot 40
Rabbit hole boxergrail
Woodford anything at all
Wild turkey rare breed
Redemption rye (a great one)
Rebel yell
Evan Williams single barrel
Ezra brooks (value brand but solid)
Old forester 100
A new one laws whiskey is good

main rule is always look to see where it is made and where it is bottled

made in Indiana is not a bad thing , and actually a good thing like the redemption brand...as long as it’s honest

I was there! I asked which species of Japanese white oak he mentioned was so great for barrels. It turns out to be a species that grows well in the Syracuse area (and that I've had, but was killed by a buck rub while I was in grad school). I'm about to purchase a woodlot out there, maybe I should devote some space to it as a long-term investment.

the type of Japanese oak most commonly known tj be used in the industry is mizunara. It is a very hard to deal with , exceptionally tight grained type of oak. The Japanese were forced to use it after the United States stopped selling them wood in the 1940s. It takes around 100+ years to mature and by law 2 must be planted for every one harvested. About 10x cost of regular barrel, if not more.

if you have ever had the luck of tasting the portion of yamazaki that is aged in only mizunara it will be something you never forget

the type of Japanese oak most commonly known tj be used in the industry is mizunara. It is a very hard to deal with , exceptionally tight grained type of oak. The Japanese were forced to use it after the United States stopped selling them wood in the 1940s. It takes around 100+ years to mature and by law 2 must be planted for every one harvested. About 10x cost of regular barrel, if not more.

if you have ever had the luck of tasting the portion of yamazaki that is aged in only mizunara it will be something you never forget
Pretty cool. Looks like it's a specific regional variety of Quercus mongolica (var. crispula). I'll have to speak with my colleagues at the International Oak Society to see if they know anything about it being different in quality from Q. mongolica of other provenances.

Has anyone tried the Bar Hill Gin that is aged in Oak barrels? It is supposed to be a Gin for Whisky drinkers. I was able to get their regular Gin and it is quite good, if not slightly sweet (their calling card is infusing with honey.) A friend who is very into Gin says he has been able to convert several whisky fans to Gin with it. I just haven't been able to get my hands on a bottle to try.

Attachments

• B7467C91-6F2C-4813-8F7B-C21F34028E49_1_201_a.jpeg
    B7467C91-6F2C-4813-8F7B-C21F34028E49_1_201_a.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 101
Has anyone tried the Bar Hill Gin that is aged in Oak barrels? It is supposed to be a Gin for Whisky drinkers. I was able to get their regular Gin and it is quite good, if not slightly sweet (their calling card is infusing with honey.) A friend who is very into Gin says he has been able to convert several whisky fans to Gin with it. I just haven't been able to get my hands on a bottle to try.

the Tom Cat. Solid product, one of my co-worker’s girlfriend sells it. You can definitely drink it over ice if you are a gin person. Works in usual gin cocktails , good for a gin sling (aka gin old fashioned)

bar hill can come across sweet / confection at times. Brand will say that’s due to being distilled from honey, but can’t rule out use of glycerin

I have a 12 yr old bottle of Glenfiddich I bought in 1986...unopened. I assume it is basically 35 year old...12 year Scotch?

Any opinions if it would ages more in glass for 35 years?

I'll probably bring it to our first Fine Mess tailgate in '21.

as long as the bottle is closed and sealed properly you have a solid 12 year old scotch. A great example is how cognac uses glass vessels to stop the aging process .

I have a 12 yr old bottle of Glenfiddich I bought in 1986...unopened. I assume it is basically 35 year old...12 year Scotch?

Any opinions if it would ages more in glass for 35 years?

I'll probably bring it to our first Fine Mess tailgate in '21.
My understanding is that once it is out of the barrel and in the bottle, it stops aging. It should taste about the same as a new 12 year old
bottle

the Tom Cat. Solid product, one of my co-worker’s girlfriend sells it. You can definitely drink it over ice if you are a gin person. Works in usual gin cocktails , good for a gin sling (aka gin old fashioned)

bar hill can come across sweet / confection at times. Brand will say that’s due to being distilled from honey, but can’t rule out use of glycerin
We have a distillery in Dripping Springs Texas that does a gin like that. It's outstanding. Waterloo Antique Gin.

So many options here. your heaven hill and brown Forman brands are great. I’m. Big “pound for pound” drinker. And by that I mean quality fit for best value.

Gentleman jack is hands down my all time favorite for quality for value (Tennessee whiskey though not a bourbon). Here are a few names:

rittenhouse rye
Lot 40
Rabbit hole boxergrail
Woodford anything at all
Wild turkey rare breed
Redemption rye (a great one)
Rebel yell
Evan Williams single barrel
Ezra brooks (value brand but solid)
Old forester 100
A new one laws whiskey is good

main rule is always look to see where it is made and where it is bottled

made in Indiana is not a bad thing , and actually a good thing like the redemption brand...as long as it’s honest

I feel pretty good that some of the bottles in my regular rotation are the bottles called out by the guy who knows what he's talking about!

I just picked up an Elijah Craig Barrel proof at Pascales on Erie for only $60. I've seen it $80 plus a lot of places.

It is so freaking delicious. 127 proof. An absolute flavor explosion. Its hard to go lower proof once you begin enjoying the 100+ proof stuff.

I just picked up an Elijah Craig Barrel proof at Pascales on Erie for only $60. I've seen it $80 plus a lot of places.

It is so freaking delicious. 127 proof. An absolute flavor explosion. Its hard to go lower proof once you begin enjoying the 100+ proof stuff.
The Elijah Craig 18 year is my current favorite. I usually try to pick up a bottle of the barrel proof if I see it $60 or less. I believe those are 12 years old. It is almost as good as the 18 year.

The Elijah Craig 18 year is my current favorite. I usually try to pick up a bottle of the barrel proof if I see it $60 or less. I believe those are 12 years old. It is almost as good as the 18 year.
Yeah. They’re 12 yr. would love to try 18

Anyone have any interest in holding a board whiskey tasting? Bring a bottle to share, catch a ride to or arrive and leave by Lyft or Uber but definitely no driving home.

Alcohol related question. Where can I get the Sam Adams Jack-O Pumpkin Ale ? I saw it during a SNL Sketch on Saturday. Went to Wegmans today and all they had was the Octoberfest.

Alcohol related question. Where can I get the Sam Adams Jack-O Pumpkin Ale ? I saw it during a SNL Sketch on Saturday. Went to Wegmans today and all they had was the Octoberfest.
I believe I saw some at their main Germania St. location this past weekend. I went with their Black Russian instead and highly recommend.

Is that the B520 batch? I just finished my A120, 135 proof or something, needs a little ice...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom