OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers? | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers?

Blanton's is good. It is not worth the markup. I just picked some up somewhat over retail and find it incredibly easy to drink. I was lucky that duty-free had a ton of it when I recently traveled. It is nothing special. It is slightly better than regular Buffalo Trace, which is also becoming marked up and increasingly harder to find at retail or close to retail. Both are what I expect a lower proof bourbon to taste like. I find Michters to be in the same class. The markup is artificial from people who like the bottle, collect the tops, and want to fit in.
I agree with this take.

A handful here I haven't heard of, and a few that are impossible to find or unavailable in NY. Peerless is overrated. No depth, just high proof alcohol. I just picked up and highly recommend the Pinhook artist series

Let me ask a question of our serious bourbon and scotch guys here. I'm not a serious spirits drinker. I've tried Glen Livet and a bunch of the "Glens", and found them fine, but always with some "character" that struck me as a little off putting.

Chivas Regal has always been fine for me. Yes, I know it's a blend, but it's not like it's crap; in fact I find it quite smooth. Anyone have any respect for Chivas for the casual drinker?
Will take a nice glass of Chivas any old time. This is also a very good 12 yr old blend. Can usually be found under $30. Buchanan's is also nice and a similar price point.

1639769049428.jpeg

The Buffalo Trace mania is getting goddamn ridic.

I used to be able to buy it for ~27 here where i live. Then it creeped into the low-mid 30s.

Yesterday, i saw at at $50. The same price as one of my all time faves, Angel's Envy, which I stopped buying dur to the cost.

Insanity. BT is a good solid bourbon but in NO WAY a $50 bourbon

Anyone know a good cognac? I am thinking about expanding my sipping horizons.

I used to be able to buy it for ~27 here where i live. Then it creeped into the low-mid 30s.

Yesterday, i saw at at $50. The same price as one of my all time faves, Angel's Envy, which I stopped buying dur to the cost.

Isn't $50 the floor for decent bourbon, these days?

I've never been a fan of pleated whiskeys until I had Kilchoman Machir Bay with a cigar. Was very surprised how well they complimented each other.

De Luze VSOP
Bache-Gabrielson VS
Dudognon Reserve

Should be able to find any of these for under $60.

If you're buying yourself a Christmas present, Martel Cordon Bleu.

Isn't $50 the floor for decent bourbon, these days?
Nope. That's people chasing labels or bottles. There are plenty of excellent daily pourers for $30-$35 or less. A couple of my favorites

Old Bardstown Estate Bottled 101
Old Bardstown 90
Very Old Barton 100
Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (the steal of all steals)
Early Times Bottled in Bond 100
Larceny 90 proof

Nope. That's people chasing labels or bottles. There are plenty of excellent daily pourers for $30-$35 or less. A couple of my favorites

Old Bardstown 90
Very Old Barton 100
Larceny 90 proof
Agreed.

I probably have ~ 25 bottles in my cabinet and at least half are under 50.

All you mentioned are great.

I also love Elijah Craig Small Batch

Old Bardstown 90
Very Old Barton 100
Larceny 90 proof
The only one I ever see on that list is Larceny, which I like and have. I'll see if I can track down the rest somewhere.

Agreed.

I probably have ~ 25 bottles in my cabinet and at least half are under 50.

All you mentioned are great.

I also love Elijah Craig Small Batch
I have a bunch in my cabinet that were under $50 when I bought them. Some I no longer see and others aren't under 50 anymore.

It's probably been mentioned already somewhere in this thread but it's worth mentioning again. Wild Turkey 101. $27 for a 1 liter bottle at Empire Wine and Spirits in Albany. Tough to beat at that price in my opinion.

It's probably been mentioned already somewhere in this thread but it's worth mentioning again. Wild Turkey 101. $27 for a 1 liter bottle at Empire Wine and Spirits in Albany. Tough to beat at that price in my opinion.
I usually shop at Exit 9 but I noticed in Empire's flyer that they have some pretty good prices.

Couldn't agree more, BT mania has jumped the shark and it's just solid imo. It's still around $27 at a few places out here in CO but some other well known spots they're charging in the $35 range. My brother got me a bottle of Colonel Taylor small batch for my bday a few weeks back, love that stuff.

Couldn't agree more, BT mania has jumped the shark and it's just solid imo. It's still around $27 at a few places out here in CO but some other well known spots they're charging in the $35 range. My brother got me a bottle of Colonel Taylor small batch for my bday a few weeks back, love that stuff.
Colonel Taylor SB would be my daily drinker if I could find that at retail all of the time.

Last time I looked, Empire had Blanton's, E.H. Taylor Single Barrel and a few other allocated bottles. Expensive but they make nice gifts.

I'd start at the XO level, the difference between that and the vsop or any levels below XO is night and day imo. Henny XO or Remy XO I do from time to time, but I'm definitely not a connoisseur.

Colonel Taylor SB would be my daily drinker if I could find that at retail all of the time.
Yeah they're doing this thing out here now where they'll have a few special bottles on the shelf behind the counter and you have to earn "points" or the owner has to know or like you to be able to buy one. My brother haggles/argues with the owner of one place all the time to be able to buy them. It's kind of weird.

Was fortunate to find 1972 Pierre Ferrand when out to dinner last weekend. Fantastic.

The last time I drank that stuff, it literally burned the top layer of skin off my tongue. My tongue was raw and painful for a couple days after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom