OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers? | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers?

My dad and 2 uncles went and met Chris a while back as they all have deep family history from the Big Island. They got to sample a couple stashed spirits (li hing mui) that he's trying to get approved for legal sale, and "grandmas recipe" that isn't for sale. I'll definitely be adding a bottle or 2 to my collection. Curious on which major distiller is going to distribute his product, for the limited distribution that came with winning the competition.

My dad and 2 uncles went and met Chris a while back as they all have deep family history from the Big Island. They got to sample a couple stashed spirits (li hing mui) that he's trying to get approved for legal sale, and "grandmas recipe" that isn't for sale. I'll definitely be adding a bottle or 2 to my collection. Curious on which major distiller is going to distribute his product, for the limited distribution that came with winning the competition.
I really hope it stays the same brand name. I
love that place.

Sounds like a pretty talented guy.

So I visited my sister in DC last weekend for my birthday. I enjoy my scotch - I probably have about 15 bottles in my collection right now. I usually buy a bottle of Blue Label every couple years, which I always considered to be the cream of the crop for what I would try or buy.

We went to the MGM National Harbor for the day, and my sister’s boyfriend, who is quite a high roller treated us to dinner. He said, “OrangeTown, get whatever you want for your birthday.” On the way to our table, we walked through the bar and I took a look at the selection. When the waiter came to take our drink order, I asked for a double of Macallan 25 neat. He gave me a double take and I suddenly realized I might have gotten a bit greedy. This was confirmed when it was brought back and the guy said this is the nicest birthday drink I think anyone has ever received. It wasn’t until I looked it up on my phone before I realized just how nice it was.

I savored it for the entire dinner, and when I tried to leave with the remainder of it, they made me pour it into a damn plastic cup to take on the gaming floor.

No real point to the story - just had to share my once in a lifetime scotch experience with some other degenerates.

So I visited my sister in DC last weekend for my birthday. I enjoy my scotch - I probably have about 15 bottles in my collection right now. I usually buy a bottle of Blue Label every couple years, which I always considered to be the cream of the crop for what I would try or buy.

We went to the MGM National Harbor for the day, and my sister’s boyfriend, who is quite a high roller treated us to dinner. He said, “OrangeTown, get whatever you want for your birthday.” On the way to our table, we walked through the bar and I took a look at the selection. When the waiter came to take our drink order, I asked for a double of Macallan 25 neat. He gave me a double take and I suddenly realized I might have gotten a bit greedy. This was confirmed when it was brought back and the guy said this is the nicest birthday drink I think anyone has ever received. It wasn’t until I looked it up on my phone before I realized just how nice it was.

I savored it for the entire dinner, and when I tried to leave with the remainder of it, they made me pour it into a damn plastic cup to take on the gaming floor.

No real point to the story - just had to share my once in a lifetime scotch experience with some other degenerates.
Got the same on my birthday in Vegas with my brother 2 years ago. Good stuff!

Anyone ever have Glenlivet Caribbean? It was very cheap and while i have found rum finishes hit or miss, at less than 30 bucks worth a shot

Anyone ever have Glenlivet Caribbean? It was very cheap and while i have found rum finishes hit or miss, at less than 30 bucks worth a shot
Had it, loved it

Bit pricier down here in bucks county PA but I love it

Loved the cognac barrel finish also

EDIT: should be noted that glenlivet is my absolute go to brand and I’ve enjoyed many more expensive bottles but I always come back to glenlivet

Had it, loved it

Bit pricier down here in bucks county PA but I love it

Loved the cognac barrel finish also

EDIT: should be noted that glenlivet is my absolute go to brand and I’ve enjoyed many more expensive bottles but I always come back to glenlivet

Nice. 5 years ago I was a bourbon guy exclusively. Its become more of a 50-50 thing lately, and I may even be leaning more towards scotch these days. I liked Glen 12 a lot but I do tend to gravitate more to those with a little peat. Doesn't need to be laphroaig peat (although i love that, its like drinking a meal sometimes).

Honestly, my favorite scotch right now, and this certainly isnt high end, is JW Green. Its got the exact amount of everything I am looking for in a scotch.

Nice. 5 years ago I was a bourbon guy exclusively. Its become more of a 50-50 thing lately, and I may even be leaning more towards scotch these days. I liked Glen 12 a lot but I do tend to gravitate more to those with a little peat. Doesn't need to be laphroaig peat (although i love that, its like drinking a meal sometimes).

Honestly, my favorite scotch right now, and this certainly isnt high end, is JW Green. Its got the exact amount of everything I am looking for in a scotch.
Love JW Green! Good value too (given recent price increases across the board).

Let me ask a question of our serious bourbon and scotch guys here. I'm not a serious spirits drinker. I've tried Glen Livet and a bunch of the "Glens", and found them fine, but always with some "character" that struck me as a little off putting.

Chivas Regal has always been fine for me. Yes, I know it's a blend, but it's not like it's crap; in fact I find it quite smooth. Anyone have any respect for Chivas for the casual drinker?

Let me ask a question of our serious bourbon and scotch guys here. I'm not a serious spirits drinker. I've tried Glen Livet and a bunch of the "Glens", and found them fine, but always with some "character" that struck me as a little off putting.

Chivas Regal has always been fine for me. Yes, I know it's a blend, but it's not like it's crap; in fact I find it quite smooth. Anyone have any respect for Chivas for the casual drinker?
I've got no problem with blends. They're some of my favorites! Haven't had Chivas in too long to comment, specifically.

I haven't had Chivas enough to have a firm opinion, but I have no issue with blends done well. Like I said, JW Green is probably my favorite scotch right now. Such a perfect blend of good things

Regal 12 or 18? Not critical that we differentiate, but there are some material deltas betwixt the two. You can sometimes filter out the individual components of the 18 under optimal conditions (e.g. Strathisla, Stratchlyde) so that tells me they're doing something right. Regardless: either is an acceptable drink if offered - so I'd not think less of a causal drinker going with a dram of Regal!

Some (subjectively) superior blends to consider: Suntory Hibiki Blender's Choice (somewhat proximal to the Chivas profile), Cladach Diageo 2018 Special (this one had an array of coastals: Caol Ila, Clynelish, Lagavulin, Oban, Inchgower, and Talisker IIRC, all at a monster ABV of 57%).

Anyone know where to get Blanton’s around Syracuse?

Liquor stores get it, but it goes super fast and some really jack up the price. Some liquor stores will take your name and number and let you know if they get a bottle, but most are just first come, first serve. I usually just pop in and ask if I am driving by a store. I am not sure if there are any goldmines for it in the Cuse area, as I am out of town.

Liquor stores get it, but it goes super fast and some really jack up the price. Some liquor stores will take your name and number and let you know if they get a bottle, but most are just first come, first serve. I usually just pop in and ask if I am driving by a store. I am not sure if there are any goldmines for it in the Cuse area, as I am out of town.
I found a bottle for $110 on Saturday at a little hole-in-the-wall liquor store next door to my daughter's apartment in Brooklyn. Overpriced but I grabbed it anyway.

I found a bottle for $110 on Saturday at a little hole-in-the-wall liquor store next door to my daughter's apartment in Brooklyn. Overpriced but I grabbed it anyway.
That is not that bad, I have seen some as high as 200. Got one for 63 right at the Buffalo Trace Distillery, that was the best.

Am i the only one who finds Blanton's tremendously overrated? Like...its good. I like it. And at 50...maybe 60 bucks, I'm game. But when I see people spending $100+ on it, blows my mind

Am i the only one who finds Blanton's tremendously overrated? Like...its good. I like it. And at 50...maybe 60 bucks, I'm game. But when I see people spending $100+ on it, blows my mind
It's frequently called overrated. I agree.

Blanton's is good. It is not worth the markup. I just picked some up somewhat over retail and find it incredibly easy to drink. I was lucky that duty-free had a ton of it when I recently traveled. It is nothing special. It is slightly better than regular Buffalo Trace, which is also becoming marked up and increasingly harder to find at retail or close to retail. Both are what I expect a lower proof bourbon to taste like. I find Michters to be in the same class. The markup is artificial from people who like the bottle, collect the tops, and want to fit in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom