OT: cable vs. Direct TV or DISH | Syracusefan.com

OT: cable vs. Direct TV or DISH

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
So I'm trying to get a new service hooked up at a camp up north to get ESPN, etc. for college games.

The place used to have direct tv so was about to pull the trigger for...until I hit GOOGLE and read thousands upon thousands of complaints about Direct TV and DISH as well with all sorts of issues from overcharges to bad service to no service often in bad weather. This vs. just hundreds against Time warner whom I'm familar with and have here in Syracuse. And though I know their customer service is ranks horribly I decide go with the devil you know.

So after hitting their web site I decided I wanted the Standard service with 70 channels with a "standard hd box" that allows HD and pay per views/on demand etc. Their site says you can get that combo. This vs. getting 200 more digital channels with a DVR type box which I don't need.

Well after dealing with 3 clueless customer service reps whom I had to educate and walk them through their own website offerings, they tell me that even though it says on their own web site I can get the lower tier "standard" 70 channel with an hd box that they can't do that and I have to get the digital 200+ channel service to go with the box. After 30-45 minutes on the phone with each of them, with interminable delays, cut off calls, transfers and on and on I finally ask for a supervisor but, of course, one is not available. But one will call me back. That was 2 days ago.

So I'm currently scheduled in two weeks to get the digital 200 channels with the non dvr standard hd box. However I'm thinking I'm calling to cancel it all before it even goes in and wing it with direct tv with whatever their lowest/smallest plan is. So I'd love to hear others thoughts on what I read online about all these companies and what your experiences are with your cable or satellite companies and what you may be paying monthly for what type of services. It seems one is worse than the next.

I really don't care to get Sunday ticket NFL as college is my thing and don't want all these free channels that I'll never watch and that I'll just forget to cancel when there no longer free and then have to deal with more "customer service" schmucks and hassles to change things. Appreciate any thoughts and opinion and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
We had DirecTv and decided to get rid of it because it would go out during thunderstorms and snow storms. More channels but when they're out... they're out. We've been happy with fios, though they don't carry the Pac 12 network, which stinks for me as CU is my 2nd favorite team.

DirecTv is excellent. Have had them for 17 years and would NEVER go back to Time Warner. In my mind, Dish is not an option. Only real competitor is Fios.
thanks for the input. No problem I take it like I read about with reception, etc. Interesting, just dont what to believe sometimes. If I'm not being too intrusive and you don't mind my asking which level of service do you have and what does it cost? Thanks

We had DirecTv and decided to get rid of it because it would go out during thunderstorms and snow storms. More channels but when they're out... they're out. We've been happy with fios, though they don't carry the Pac 12 network, which stinks for me as CU is my 2nd favorite team.
yeah, thanks Faegan, if they had FIOS up in the great white north country I'd be going with that. Unfortunately they haven't made it that far.

So I'm trying to get a new service hooked up at a camp up north to get ESPN, etc. for college games.

The place used to have direct tv so was about to pull the trigger for...until I hit GOOGLE and read thousands upon thousands of complaints about Direct TV and DISH as well with all sorts of issues from overcharges to bad service to no service often in bad weather. This vs. just hundreds against Time warner whom I'm familar with and have here in Syracuse. And though I know their customer service is ranks horribly I decide go with the devil you know.

So after hitting their web site I decided I wanted the Standard service with 70 channels with a "standard hd box" that allows HD and pay per views/on demand etc. Their site says you can get that combo. This vs. getting 200 more digital channels with a DVR type box which I don't need.

Well after dealing with 3 clueless customer service reps whom I had to educate and walk them through their own website offerings, they tell me that even though it says on their own web site I can get the lower tier "standard" 70 channel with an hd box that they can't do that and I have to get the digital 200+ channel service to go with the box. After 30-45 minutes on the phone with each of them, with interminable delays, cut off calls, transfers and on and on I finally ask for a supervisor but, of course, one is not available. But one will call me back. That was 2 days ago.

So I'm currently scheduled in two weeks to get the digital 200 channels with the non dvr standard hd box. However I'm thinking I'm calling to cancel it all before it even goes in and wing it with direct tv with whatever their lowest/smallest plan is. So I'd love to hear others thoughts on what I read online about all these companies and what your experiences are with your cable or satellite companies and what you may be paying monthly for what type of services. It seems one is worse than the next.

I really don't care to get Sunday ticket NFL as college is my thing and don't want all these free channels that I'll never watch and that I'll just forget to cancel when there no longer free and then have to deal with more "customer service" schmucks and hassles to change things. Appreciate any thoughts and opinion and thanks in advance.

I dont have much knowledge on Dish or Direct TV but the best recommendation I can give regarding TW is to show up at there main building and talk to someone direct. Forget speaking to someone on the phone over there its useless. I had an issue a few years ago and I just showed up there and spoke with someone, had it cleared up in like 10 minutes.

During Sandy, our cable line (fios) was flat on the ground and still worked once I ran power through a generator.

yeah, thanks Faegan, if they had FIOS up in the great white north country I'd be going with that. Unfortunately they haven't made it that far.

Is time warner the only cable option?

DirecTv all the way and nothing is even a close second for me. When its a HEAVY rain it might go out but its very short and i never have an issue. Great customer service, Great equipment, great channel selection, and BETTER picture than the others. only down side is that i can get pricey.

During Sandy, our cable line (fios) was flat on the ground and still worked once I ran power through a generator.

Been thinking about switching to Fios for a while myself. I actually have had mostly positives experiences with TW ( a few issues though to be sure) but the cost seems to go up every 3 months due to some new fee that at this point I think there just making up. Only thing holding me back is TW sports. Sounds like they may have the rights to the Lax games again and I dont want to get burned as I have heard tyring to watch TW sports on Fios is an absolute nightmare.

Is time warner the only cable option?

TW and Dish are the only options that far North in NY. To be honest even FIOS is extremely limited, not all of CNY has it and there are apparently no plans on the horizon to expand.

I have had DirecTV for 18 years... since the time we had to purchase the receivers at the hardware store. When we built a new home, even though it was prewired for cable we again installed DirecTV. I have had no major issues over all these years . When we upgraded one of the additional tv receivers to HD they shipped it to me the next day and talked me through the one problem with installation. I have the regular sports package that gets all the college games and haven't missed a Syracuse FB or BB game that is televised.

I do have Dish at a lake cottage because of DirecTV not being available in the area at the time. The basic channel packages are horrid. Lots of filler that no one would want to watch. And I hate dealing with their customer service. The only saving grace is that you can hook up two tvs to one receiver.

As for Time Warner...working for them was my first job out of SU and I wouldn't let them in the house.

My DirecTV works..I just wait for the generator to kick in within 30 seconds;)

I have had DirecTV for 18 years... since the time we had to purchase the receivers at the hardware store. When we built a new home, even though it was prewired for cable we again installed DirecTV. I have had no major issues over all these years . When we upgraded one of the additional tv receivers to HD they shipped it to me the next day and talked me through the one problem with installation. I have the regular sports package that gets all the college games and haven't missed a Syracuse FB or BB game that is televised.

I do have Dish at a lake cottage because of DirecTV not being available in the area at the time. The basic channel packages are horrid. Lots of filler that no one would want to watch. And I hate dealing with their customer service. The only saving grace is that you can hook up two tvs to one receiver.

As for Time Warner...working for them was my first job out of SU and I wouldn't let them in the house.

Just curious about your ability to get SU games. For say cupcake fball and bball games that were handled by only TW sports were you able to get them via Direct TV? Were you able to get the Wagner game?

I dont have much knowledge on Dish or Direct TV but the best recommendation I can give regarding TW is to show up at there main building and talk to someone direct. Forget speaking to someone on the phone over there its useless. I had an issue a few years ago and I just showed up there and spoke with someone, had it cleared up in like 10 minutes.
thank dude. Where is their main building to go in person?

thank dude. Where is their main building to go in person?

There is one in East Syracue and one dowtown I believe as well. I think your best bet is the East Syracuse one thats where I went. Like I said it was a few years ago but when you walk in they have people right there you can speak with. If you explain the situation I am pretty sure (way to hesitant to make any guarantee with TW) they can get you the answer or at least clear up the website/box issue.

Just curious about your ability to get SU games. For say cupcake fball and bball games that were handled by only TW sports were you able to get them via Direct TV? Were you able to get the Wagner game?

The BB games were never a problem except this year no Canada. But I always could watch all the other games on SNY or MASN. Wagner I was forced to watch on ESPN3. I don't think there will be any problem with viewing any of the other FB games this season..but y'all have to remember I am in NC.

And good for you with being able to resolve your problem with TW in person. Down here they are sneakier and keep the front door of their office locked. When we had an issue with them and needed them to move a line during construction my husband had to lurk in the bushes at their front door and then follow someone else in and then make a scene in their lobby. And once was not enough to get the problem resolved...silly people.

Where you at up North?

-
right by Texanmark who turned me on to the area, in Dexter technically, on south shore road on Lake Ontario at what is know as Pillar point. Go to end of middle road, take left on south shore rd, 10 camps or so down on the right vs. Marks you take a right off middle go up several and he's on the left.

The BB games were never a problem except this year no Canada. But I always could watch all the other games on SNY or MASN. Wagner I was forced to watch on ESPN3. I don't think there will be any problem with viewing any of the other FB games this season..but y'all have to remember I am in NC.

And good for you with being able to resolve your problem with TW in person. Down here they are sneakier and keep the front door of their office locked. When we had an issue with them and needed them to move a line during construction my husband had to lurk in the bushes at their front door and then follow someone else in and then make a scene in their lobby. And once was not enough to get the problem resolved...silly people.

Sorry to hear about your issues with TW, I know they can bad and many people in CNY have had about all they can handle from them. Luckily as I noted I have had a pretty good track record with them and if I am being honest I can't remember the last time the cable went out. There HD for sporting games especially the NFL used to have like a half second tick a few years ago that was driving me freaking insane but it has gone away. The other good thing about TW is they now finally offer just about every channel, it may cost extra but you can get your hands on everything from the PAC 12 network, Big 10, redzone, etc.

Glad to hear you can access the early season fball and bball games. As a local I was always curious about Direct TV but was worried I wouldnt be able to get the TW televised bball games I didnt get or the Lax games especially those on the road at Hobart/Cornell etc that TW televises. I wonder if those games would be blacked out for someone local who had the sports package.

CR - I would pay more attention to the folks that live closest to you and what the line of sight is like on your lot. I'm in Central NJ and my lot is fairly wooded. I don't think the weather is related to the line of sight, though.

Sorry to hear about your issues with TW, I know they can bad and many people in CNY have had about all they can handle from them. Luckily as I noted I have had a pretty good track record with them and if I am being honest I can't remember the last time the cable went out. There HD for sporting games especially the NFL used to have like a half second tick a few years ago that was driving me freaking insane but it has gone away. The other good thing about TW is they now finally offer just about every channel, it may cost extra but you can get your hands on everything from the PAC 12 network, Big 10, redzone, etc.

Glad to hear you can access the early season fball and bball games. As a local I was always curious about Direct TV but was worried I wouldnt be able to get the TW televised bball games I didnt get or the Lax games especially those on the road at Hobart/Cornell etc that TW televises. I wonder if those games would be blacked out for someone local who had the sports package.

Well the games being blacked out is still my fear when we play NC teams here in Carolina. I am hoping that since I pick up the games through the regional provider for NY that won't be a problem.

Oh and if anyone likes watching European soccer...I confess I have a second dish. It is DirecTVs International dish. Italian soccer.

TW and Dish are the only options that far North in NY. To be honest even FIOS is extremely limited, not all of CNY has it and there are apparently no plans on the horizon to expand.

Fios is spotty... there are people in my town that have it and others that don't.

right by Texanmark who turned me on to the area, in Dexter technically, on south shore road on Lake Ontario at what is know as Pillar point. Go to end of middle road, take left on south shore rd, 10 camps or so down on the right vs. Marks you take a right off middle go up several and he's on the left.
Ha, cruised by your camps this summer, beautiful area. Anyway, I have had all three services. How TW is still in business I have no idea! I currently have Directv and love it. Only blacks out in torrential rains or snow build up, and not for very long. Hint, mount your dish in a spot that is reachable, to clear off sticky snow. But I digress, Directv is VERY good for sports. Get the package that includes MSG+ , it will have everything you need for football and basketball. You also get locals which carry a ton of sports. I haven't missed an SU Bball game with directv. Also, you can upgrade to regional sports packages if something unique is needed. My two cents

directv and this Saturday they are upgrading everthing for free...getting the genie.

had it for about 5 years and it's cheaper than time warner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom