OT: vaccine | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

OT: vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had Covid. Similar reactions after both doses of Moderna. Fever started about 12 hours after the vaccine was administered and lasted 6-8 hours or so. Had a small bout of chills as well.

My girlfriend also had Covid and received her first dose of Pfizer a few days ago. Her sinuses flared up and she got extremely tired but no fever or chills. As SUFaninNJ said, it’s possible the reactions between Moderna and Pfizer differ.
Neither my husband or I ever tested for Covid but we think we had it. He was traveling the end of January/beginning of February 2020. When he got home he commented on how there were a lot of people traveling wearing masks. Few days later he had symptoms of Covid and lost his sense of taste and smell. There were no tests for Covid back then. So maybe that explains his response to the Moderna vaccine.

Neither my husband or I ever tested for Covid but we think we had it. He was traveling the end of January/beginning of February 2020. When he got home he commented on how there were a lot of people traveling wearing masks. Few days later he had symptoms of Covid and lost his sense of taste and smell. There were no tests for Covid back then. So maybe that explains his response to the Moderna vaccine.
Anecdotal of course, but it seems like there is an increase in side effects for people that have had covid, especially with Moderna. I've posted my experience with it in a few threads, but in a nutshell... Moderna dose 1 was rough on me. The second dose was rough about 12 hours later, but by the 24 hour mark I was back to normal.

I am unlocking the thread on one provision - there will be no politics discussed here.

None. Zero tolerance. No warnings, nothing.

Offending posts will be terminated with extreme prejudice. As may the poster.

Post wisely.
Clarification - the mods will be the sole arbiters of what is appropriate here and what is not.

This ain't a Democracy, folks. ;)

This thread is for discussions about obtaining the vaccine, your reactions to the vaccine, etc. Thanks.

Happy to see the JNJ vaccine getting rolled out quickly. Already know a few people who are younger, and were able to get it easily. Thinking about this mathematically. Continue to prioritize older/vulnerable people with PFE/Moderna, and use JNJ to fill in the gap.

For the side effects, noticed a couple of patterns
-Younger people generally have worse reactions
-If you had a reaction to the first shot, decent chance you had COVID
-If you had a reaction to the second shot, you likely never had COVID

It's still fairly random overall.

Happy to see the JNJ vaccine getting rolled out quickly. Already know a few people who are younger, and were able to get it easily. Thinking about this mathematically. Continue to prioritize older/vulnerable people with PFE/Moderna, and use JNJ to fill in the gap.

For the side effects, noticed a couple of patterns
-Younger people generally have worse reactions
-If you had a reaction to the first shot, decent chance you had COVID
-If you had a reaction to the second shot, you likely never had COVID

It's still fairly random overall.
Interesting. Particularly the last two points.

And, maybe younger people generally have worse reactions because of generally stronger immune systems?
1615213609995.gif

I'm hoping the forecast changes before Saturday, but not looking good to make my appointment. The forecast here calls for snow on Friday nite and Saturday, and maybe 6-8" by the time I need to head out for my appointment at noon. Maybe 10" by the time I'm done. I can chain up to get to county road and back, but still have an 80 mile round trip on an interstate they close when the snow gets bad. Do I wait and reschedule or risk the trip? Going to be an interesting week...

I'm hoping the forecast changes before Saturday, but not looking good to make my appointment. The forecast here calls for snow on Friday nite and Saturday, and maybe 6-8" by the time I need to head out for my appointment at noon. Maybe 10" by the time I'm done. I can chain up to get to county road and back, but still have an 80 mile round trip on an interstate they close when the snow gets bad. Do I wait and reschedule or risk the trip? Going to be an interesting week...
I would wait a few days to see if the forecast improves. If it does not, maybe check on the availability of another slot that isn't too far off in the future.

Interesting. Particularly the last two points.

And, maybe younger people generally have worse reactions because of generally stronger immune systems? View attachment 197610
Yes, that's the theory. Your body "attacks" the virus more, and you have a stronger reaction. It also depends on what illnesses you've had in the past, and what your body has already fought.

Truth be told, while the vaccine makers have figured it out the big picture (effectiveness), the way the virus attacks the body still has some unknown aspects to it. Two people can get COVID the same day and have way different reactions.

I will be making a political post but also letting orange79 know how great they are... really going to put you in a mod-pickle

kidding

however I am scheduled for the vaccine! I can see how people unfamiliar with buying something on a launch or being internet savvy could struggle with getting an appt. Happy to help anyone who might need assistance.

I had scheduled for 4/1 and the follow up being 21 days later. However I am leaving the country on the 23rd and did not want to risk any symptoms from shot 2 while i'll be traveling so I had to move it

I don't believe the #s are that high. As of March 4th 16.3% of the US population had received at least one shot and 8.4% had received two shots. The latest estimates I saw was that we would get to 50% by early June.
I saw the number at 87,000,000+ having received at least one as of yesterday. If that is wrong then blame some statistician.
Numbers of shots given are now growing rapidly though, with the addition of J&J. I got one Friday(Pfizer) and wife got one saturday(Pfizer). Steady and large flow at fairgrounds throughout weekend with J&J being given through the night, Pfizer in day time hours. I assume other sites are experiencing similar increases.

Last edited:
I saw the number at 87,000,000+ having received at least one as of yesterday. If that is wrong then blame some statistician.
Numbers of shots given are now growing rapidly though, with the addition of J&J. I got one Friday(Pfizer) and wife got one saturday(Pfizer). Steady and large flow at fairgrounds throughout weekend with J&J being given through the night, Pfizer in day time hours. I assume other sights are experiencing similar increases.

Yeah I've been saying that for a while now that this thing will be over much sooner than many folks realize. We agree on that. Not in any way trying to bust your chops but 87 million Americans had not received the vaccine as of late last week. Until very recently we were barely averaging 1 million shots per day.

you also stated he had a reaction other than sore arm after the first dose...which is a tell tale sign that he did have it at some point

From national database today: "2 doses given- 31,285,186, 1st dose given- 60,005,231" for a total of 91,290,417. National population 331,996,199 for a percentage for at least one shot given of 27.5 percent rounded. My figures for the weekend were pretty close to these.

Got 1st Pfizer shot on Thursday. Sore arm, body aches, chills. 2nd shot scheduled 3/25. Have not had COVID. Age 60’s with several chronic medical conditions

is Cuse Bubble Anxiety chronic enough to qualify? Its been a long term thing for many

Of the 332 mil, how many are under 18? How many mil do NOT want it?
That is the total population regardless of age. Your other questions are unknowable.

That is the total population regardless of age. Your other questions are unknowable.
Roughly 25% of the U.S. population is under 18.

10-15 % is under 18 in the US.. or so..

NY state has 10 million who can take the shot right now. 5.5 have gotten it 400K get a shot each week but that goes up every week.. if 30% dont want a shot we are only weeks away from starting to max out this phase..

you also stated he had a reaction other than sore arm after the first dose...which is a tell tale sign that he did have it at some point
Well I'm not telling him that he's right and we had covid. ;)

From national database today: "2 doses given- 31,285,186, 1st dose given- 60,005,231" for a total of 91,290,417. National population 331,996,199 for a percentage for at least one shot given of 27.5 percent rounded. My figures for the weekend were pretty close to these.
You can't add the 31 million who got the second dose back into the equation. Those folks are already counted in the 1st dose given numbers.

You can't add the 31 million who got the second dose back into the equation. Those folks are already counted in the 1st dose given numbers.
That is not what the data base said, but you can interpret it any way you want. They came out with the 27 percent figure not me, and that figure requires a cumulative number not what you describe. Again think what you want but your numbers would not add up to theirs.
If you have a problem with the numbers, you should question the database. Total vaccinations reported by CDC site is 92.1 million right now. So that also indicates your interpretation would be wrong.

Last edited:
The roll out you describe is already happening in many states, and the timetable for vaccinating every adult American who wants it is much closer to June than September.

I'm seeing news articles that are beginning to talk about more relaxed social guidelines for people who have had their vaccination(s). So, for instance, if you have your shots, you can buy a ticket to the game, or concert. That's going to be part of the "Great Reopening", in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom