Other than HBO ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Other than HBO ...

longislandcuse said:
That being said, this 4th episode has me wondering if I actually like it or think its a bunch of pretentious nonsense.
I have a high tolerance for pretentious nonsense. Only The Newsroom has beaten it.

Just started Shameless today. After the pilot, I think I'm in for the long haul.

4th episode of Leftovers was a bit of a miss for me. It was okay but I really can't give it any higher praise than that.

4th episode of Leftovers was a bit of a miss for me. It was okay but I really can't give it any higher praise than that.
I guess the teenagers being ultra-degenerate is symbolism for the dire times the show is conveying but im sorry, the whole spin the iphone (bottle) scene and then episode 4 ridiculous baby Jesus scene was overkill. Noone acts like that. I find myself rolling my eyes alot during this show.

I hear you. Sometimes the teens are what I imagine a super religious conservatives' darkest nightmares about godless teenagers would be like. Those scenes you are talking about reminded me of an Onion article they were so over the top.

E: I found myself rolling my eyes at the GR people breaking into houses to take pictures and NONE of them getting caught in the act.

Right now, HBO is worth it simply for Last Week Tonight. John Oliver is incredible.

Right now, HBO is worth it simply for Last Week Tonight. John Oliver is incredible.

My buddy hooked me up with his HBOGO password, and his grandma cancelled HBO when I was 2 episodes away from the Sopranos finale... I hate my life

I consider myself pretty mainstream politically.. Probably a little left leaning in the fact that I am Pro-Gay Marriage, Pro-Gun Control, Anti-Death Penalty and fiscally more left leaning than right. I have my issues with the left over abortion and the ultra-left verbal attacks on Christianity but overall I favor the liberal agenda.

That being said, seriously, enough, we get it.. Last night's episode of True Blood was ridiculous. So unnecessary and I fear that people my age (their target audience 16-35) arent smart enough to not be brainwashed by this type of ignorance.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollyw...s-Stake-Through-Heart-of-True-Blood-Producers

So if you watched HBO Sunday Night, you saw a generalized attack on Republicans, a veiled attack on a current prominent Republican and a former Republican President as well as a baby Jesus doll being mocked and thrown around like a rag doll.

Good stuff.. While I consider myself pretty open minded, HBO's insistence on putting forth a certain agenda is starting to wear thin.

That being said, seriously, enough, we get it.. Last night's episode of True Blood was ridiculous. So unnecessary and I fear that people my age (their target audience 16-35) arent smart enough to not be brainwashed by this type of ignorance.
I don't think you should lose sleep over the idiots of the world. If artists have to worry about how the ignorant will interpret their work, then art is dead. Many voices out there are competing to brainwash the idiots. You don't have to look further than to your local churches.

Take pride in not being an idiot and teach your children to do the same.

I too was finding it tedious and boring until the 3rd episode. That episode was freakin amazing. That being said, this 4th episode has me wondering if I actually like it or think its a bunch of pretentious nonsense.

So is it worth slogging through the first couple of episodes? I just watched the pilot and it was really boring. Not sure if I should continue or not.

So is it worth slogging through the first couple of episodes? I just watched the pilot and it was really boring. Not sure if I should continue or not.
I'd say so; it seems like episode 3 won most of us over, at least temporarily.

It's worth it. If anything, you'll get hooked just to find out what the Guilty Remnant's deal is. It's very slow moving and really dark at times but it has alot of upside.

I would grade the episodes as follows:
1 - B+
2 - B
3 - A+
4 - C

Supposedly AV Club got to see episodes 1-5 ahead of time and 3 and 5 were the best. I hope that's the case if that means 5 is as good as 3 was.

Well, I wouldn't say it was as good as Ep03, but it was a good bounce back after last week.

CuseCPT said:
Well, I wouldn't say it was as good as Ep03, but it was a good bounce back after last week.

I think it's a measure of good writing and storytelling when you can sympathize with the perpetrator of a horrible crime. At least before the rocks I was kind of 50/50 as far as sympathy.

Was incredibly taken aback when she started begging and just couldn't imagine the fear of seeing and hearing blood gush out of your head. Her begging came back to hit even stronger when Patty told the story of taking her to the diner.

The GR does some awful things though, so I can see why people would want to harm them. But stoning to death is just so brutal vs tying her up to a tree and making her scream for help, which is what I initially thought would happen.

That opening scene was tough to watch. That being said, the GR is the most annoying group of people I have ever seen a television show portray. The show kind of needs to develop some other story lines because right now, IMO, the GR is all it has going for them. Everyone else is just unlike able and not interesting. Unless the GR is always the main focus of the show? Which I would be ok with.

I think it's a measure of good writing and storytelling when you can sympathize with the perpetrator of a horrible crime. At least before the rocks I was kind of 50/50 as far as sympathy.

Was incredibly taken aback when she started begging and just couldn't imagine the fear of seeing and hearing blood gush out of your head. Her begging came back to hit even stronger when Patty told the story of taking her to the diner.

The GR does some awful things though, so I can see why people would want to harm them. But stoning to death is just so brutal vs tying her up to a tree and making her scream for help, which is what I initially thought would happen.

Yeah, same thing happened to me with Theon in GoT. I thought he really had it coming to him, but once he got it I was like okay, even he doesn't deserve this.

It's a beautiful irony that in a world that just lost 2% of the population, the remaining people are do indifferent to losing even more people (like ATFEC extermination program, telling chief not to investigate too hard) just because they are acting weird. Matt's quest to "bring them back to life" is about the only genuinely decent thing going on in the show.

That opening scene was tough to watch. That being said, the GR is the most annoying group of people I have ever seen a television show portray. The show kind of needs to develop some other story lines because right now, IMO, the GR is all it has going for them. Everyone else is just unlike able and not interesting. Unless the GR is always the main focus of the show? Which I would be ok with.

I think Matt Jamison is pretty likeable and interesting. But yeah, the GR really knows how to push buttons. The whistle scene at the end is a great example.

Yeah, same thing happened to me with Theon in GoT. I thought he really had it coming to him, but once he got it I was like okay, even he doesn't deserve this.

It's a beautiful irony that in a world that just lost 2% of the population, the remaining people are do indifferent to losing even more people (like ATFEC extermination program, telling chief not to investigate too hard) just because they are acting weird. Matt's quest to "bring them back to life" is about the only genuinely decent thing going on in the show.

The notion of how indifferent they are to losing more people gets to me as well. I think this show is far greater than the sum of its episodes to date. The premise was never that interesting to me, but now I find myself genuinely looking forward to it every week.

The notion of how indifferent they are to losing more people gets to me as well. I think this show is far greater than the sum of its episodes to date. The premise was never that interesting to me, but now I find myself genuinely looking forward to it every week.

Yeah, the premise probably wouldn't have hooked me. I was just too intrigued by Damon Lindelof's involvement not to give it a try. Yes, I am a big enough LOST nerd to watch shows just because of connections like that. Intelligence, cough, cough,

I'm not huge on following shows but with DVR i've started to come around. Right now i'm following Tyrant, The Strain, The Leftovers and True Blood.

Another very good episode for Leftovers. The episodes that focus on one character are the best, not surprising given Lindelof's pedigree. Best show on TV right now, ie currently airing new episodes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom