Our beloved fan base... | Syracusefan.com

Our beloved fan base...

20Plus

Our beloved fan base or the majority of the people that go to the games (not necessarily the ones on this board) get more excited about
T-shirts
the stupid chair
the halftime show
the kiss cam
the fan cam
and every other stupid thing that’s going on except for a big possession in the game.

I know it’s been discussed too many times before but it didn’t used to be this way

Also the students were no-shows tonight there was no way there was 24,000 people there.

I’m just sad because the Dome used to be fun.

I still do my best to have fun but it’s not the same. I try to limit standing but for Big possessions I like to stand in though no one yelled at me to sit down I felt obligated to sit down because I was the only one standing in section 110. The worst section I’ve ever seen. Everybody on their phones and worried about getting in line for half time and leaving for the game instead of actually the game itself I guess they’re just not big time fans

But these of the same fans that said we were done and are doomed to finish under 500 after Notre Dame

Our beloved fan base or the majority of the people that go to the games (not necessarily the ones on this board) get more excited about
T-shirts
the stupid chair
the halftime show
the kiss cam
the fan cam
and every other stupid thing that’s going on except for a big possession in the game.

I know it’s been discussed too many times before but it didn’t used to be this way

Also the students were no-shows tonight there was no way there was 24,000 people there.

I still do my best to have fun but it’s not the same. I try to limit standing but for Big possessions I like to stand in though no one yelled at me to sit down I felt obligated to sit down because I was the only one standing in section 110. The worst section I’ve ever seen. Everybody on their phones and worried about getting in line for half time and leaving for the game instead of actually the game itself I guess they’re just not big time fans

But these of the same fans that said we were done and are doomed to finish under 500 after Notre Dame
didn't you already write this post? Or has the board finally driven me crazy?

As a 25 year member of section 315 I can tell you that the joy of cheering at the games has gone down through the years.
We have a good crowd up there this year who love to cheer the team on but also the same old suspects who give us dirty looks and sneer at our children when they feel that they are being over zealous when a call, or a no call goes the other way. We even have to go as far as convince the ushers that we cheering fans and the loud house is the way we want the atmosphere to be.
I say get up and be loud and be heard. Stop the nonsense and send the others home. They leave early anyway.

When (if?) we return to national relevance and the Top Twenty on a sustained basis I am sure energy will return to the fan base and the Dome. It's just plain hard to fill seats with a fully engaged crowd when the team is living in the land of the unranked, and the last-in first-out tournament bubble. Expectations during the Boeheim era have been set high- i.e. live in the top twenty during the season and get in the tournament . . . and then you better win at least the first couple of rounds. Real world fact, fans are fickle so if you don't meet their expectations intensity drops and they lose interest . . . even when talking about our beloved Syracuse.

I get what you mean, but I always disagree with these posts. At least these people are in the Dome. Better than not being there. One day if Cuse is averaging a 35k sellout every game, then we can critique the fans who go to games. However, until then, at least they are in the building providing support. (That isn't to try and call out people who can't go to all the games, just saying we can't be critiquing the fans who do show up, until we are averaging 35k IMO.)

T-shirts
the stupid chair
the halftime show
the kiss cam
the fan cam

Crowds everywhere are generally horrible and not the same anymore. That goes for everything from high school b-ball to big time college hoops to pro games to concerts. Like you said, phones are a huge reason.

I get what you mean, but I always disagree with these posts. At least these people are in the Dome. Better than not being there. One day if Cuse is averaging a 35k sellout every game, then we can critique the fans who go to games. However, until then, at least they are in the building providing support. (That isn't to try and call out people who can't go to all the games, just saying we can't be critiquing the fans who do show up, until we are averaging 35k IMO.)
Yes and no

T-shirts
the stupid chair
the halftime show
the kiss cam
the fan cam

Today was an entertaining game and we won. Nothing to be sad about.

Reactions: cto
There's also the fact that if you wanted to watch Cuse BB, you had to go to the Dome. Now every game is on tv or stream. I'm sure it makes a difference.

I just couldn't hate these type of posts more. we have had almost 20 years of crap football, and we are on year what, 4 or 5 of crap basketball? yet we bring in 20k or so for a game against wake forest. and then some tool has to post about how much the crowd sucked. it's a shame, people should try to appreciate what it is now, because it is going to get worse. attendance is declining for all college sports across the board and we wont be immune. if anything our fanbase has been unbelievably resilient and should be applauded not chastised. Boo to the Op.

Reactions: cto
There's also the fact that if you wanted to watch Cuse BB, you had to go to the Dome. Now every game is on tv or stream. I'm sure it makes a difference.

Exactly. It's a whole different world today than it was back in those days for this and other reasons including the at home viewing experience being much better than it used to be.

Today was an entertaining game and we won. Nothing to be sad about.
This is true and I’m astatic but I feel like somethings is really missing for our Home Court

Before anyone gets too down on the current fan base please remember a staple of any SU broadcast back in the day was a camera shot of the Dome Knitter. I can't say knitting brings up images of rabid fan support. Bottom line - it's always been this way.

My apologies in advance if she was/is your wife, girlfriend, aunt, cousin, mom, grandmother or has any other association with you

Before anyone gets too down on the current fan base please remember a staple of any SU broadcast back in the day was a camera shot of the Dome Knitter. I can't say knitting brings up images of rabid fan support. Bottom line - it's always been this way.

My apologies in advance if she was/is your wife, girlfriend, aunt, cousin, mom, grandmother or has any other association with you
Hey, she was always there. I always thought that she was just nervous. Much like me.

I thought it was a great crowd. Bad weather playing a bad team. What were you expecting.

Seriously. It was an exciting game. While I never thought we would lose, we lost to them before and they’re a terrible team. The fact we had such a huge crowd is incredible.

We have a great fan base. We have a top 5 fan base with a top 15 program.

T-shirts
the stupid chair
the halftime show
the kiss cam
the fan cam

This may surprise but the crowds/fans are better when the team is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom