Our last week in the Big East | Syracusefan.com

Our last week in the Big East

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
Sunday night at midnight it's official. ACC member. List your top 5 favorite moments (don't have to be in order) as a Big East member.

Sunday night at midnight it's official. ACC member. List your top 5 favorite moments (don't have to be in order) as a Big East member.

Too many to only name 5 but I will comply with your evil wishes. I am limiting myself to games against BE opponents to make the games all true Big East moments.

In chronological order (I think)...

1) Leo Rautins taps in a shot near the buzzer to clinch SU's first BET in the Carrier Dome. SU beats Nova in triple OT.

2) Pearl hits a shot from half court near the buzzer to shock Boston College in the Dome, running into the locker room without stopping immediately after releasing the shot.

3) SU caps a huge comeback with a TE throwback play to Brominski to beat V Tech in football in the Dome.

4) SU destroys BC in Chestnut Hill in the last BE football game the Eagles would ever play, breaking the hearts of the sombrero hatted Superfans, aka the Diamond Ferri Game.

5) SU defeats Pittsburgh in basketball in the Dome during the 2003 NC season in a game that established them as NC contenders and featured 3 court stormings.

2003 NC
1989-90 basketball season including sweeping Mourning/Mutombo Gtown
92 football season finishing top 10
TE throwback FTW against VaTech in '98
Watching Freeney plant Vick on his backside 4 times in 2000

Too many to only name 5 but I will comply with your evil wishes. I am limiting myself to games against BE opponents to make the games all true Big East moments.

In chronological order (I think)...

1) Leo Rautins taps in a shot near the buzzer to clinch SU's first BET in the Carrier Dome. SU beats Nova in triple OT.

2) Pearl hits a shot from half court near the buzzer to shock Boston College in the Dome, running into the locker room without stopping immediately after releasing the shot.

3) SU caps a huge comeback with a TE throwback play to Brominski to beat V Tech in football in the Dome.

4) SU destroys BC in Chestnut Hill in the last BE football game the Eagles would ever play, breaking the hearts of the sombrero hatted Superfans, aka the Diamond Ferri Game.

5) SU defeats Pittsburgh in basketball in the Dome during the 2003 NC season in a game that established them as NC contenders and featured 3 court stormings.
I don't think I would change that list at all. Well done.

2003 National Champions Baby!
6 OT game
First win I saw live (was Seton Hall this year, only got to the Dome once for Pink Floyd show)
First game with my wife and son (Temple, harrumpf, but sentimental)
John Wallace buzzer beater vs Georgia 1996 Sweet 16

Sticking to recent history:

6OT

BET Friday night against Georgetown this year.

06 BET

A little unconventional but the football win at WVU in 2010. Snapped their huge win streak against us and was so unexpected after the Pitt beat down the week before. That was the game I felt we turned the corner and weren't going back to the Robinson era.

2012 BE football co champs. I cheered for Louisville in their game against Rutgers almost as hard as I cheer for SU.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Big East specific moments only!!

Honorable mention - Diamond Ferri game, GMac's BE tourney run
5). Pearl half courter
4). Va Tech throwback
3). West Virginia 1987 the pitch for the win.
2). 6 OT game
1). Pearl beating Georgetown and Ewing in 1985.

1. 2003 NC title run bar NONE
2. 2006 Big East Tournament run. I still remember the students at Schine Center for the UConn game.
3. 2009 6 OT game
4. 1998 Syracuse football first two games Tennessee 34 Syracuse 33, then the next week in the Big House Syracuse 38 Michigan 28.
5. 1990 Syracuse-Georgetown season ending game. I was really young, but that game had a lot of drama and had a ton of great players in the game.

Beating Virginia Tech in 98 - I still remember McNabb's block
Special teams scores three touchdowns against Pitt in (I think) 96 - Aaah, the days when so many of those Big East games were gimmees
6OT game - before the game my friend said to call afterward...I didn't realize I'd be calling at 2 am
McNamara hits a three to beat Georgetown in DC - We shut down the bar that night
Sims hits a shot at the buzzer to force overtime against Nova - We lost, but I loved the excitement

Big East specific moments only!!

Honorable mention - Diamond Ferri game, GMac's BE tourney run
5). Pearl half courter
4). Va Tech throwback
3). West Virginia 1987 the pitch for the win.
2). 6 OT game
1). Pearl beating Georgetown and Ewing in 1985.
Not to nitpick, but the 87 game against WVU was not big east yet in football.

One of my all time favorite games evah was '01 vs VT at Lane. The last time there (in 99) we came in ranked and they had pasted us 62-0. The following year - Vick beat us in the Dome even though Freeney ran wild. I remember wanting the '00 game so badly - and beating those delustional MF'ers that year was SO sweet.

Jamel Riddle yo.

-National Championship Season
-GMac's run through the BET
-SU-Va. Tech football games (several come to mind Freeney sacking Vick 4 times, McNabb throwback, 50-43 OT thriller)
-Blackwell's buzzer beater in the BET
-Reyes running all over Notre Dame (even though ND wasn't a BE football member)

These are all more recent ones since I am too young to remember Pearl's half court heave and Leo's tap in.

Well I haven't been following SU for a very long time but here it goes.

5. The SU basketball game against Pitt when they started the game on a 17-0 run. Which SU promptly followed it up with a 19-0 run to end the 1st half. I will never ever forget that game. And I hated Pitt basketball the most at this point because I don't believe I had seen SU beat them yet.
4. SU football win over WV in 2011-2012 season. First time I had witnessed SU beat them. And it was a shellacking! That win made the 0-5 slide right after it bearable.
3. SU football win over WV in the Pinstripe bowl this last year. Second time witnessing SU whoop on overrated Geno and those Mountaineers. Just slightly ahead of the last win over them because it was a post-season game.
2. 6 OT game against . What a glorious game with just a fantastic finish. I also happened to be smoking a very large bong for most of OT. Yes the bong piece was so large it had to hold around a dub in it. It lasted for at least 4 of the 6 OT's.
1. SU's run through the BEAST tourny with GMAC. What made this even better is because either the championship game or semi-final game we were allowed to watch while I was in class at Henninger!

Honorable mention. SU '03 season. I wasn't a fan of basically any sport at this time. I was still messing my time away with RTS games on computers. I remember the night of the game I was sitting in my moms room playing Age of Mythology while she, her boyfriend and several of his friends watched SU win the championship in the living room right next to me. GOD I am still kicking myself for not at least watching the damn game......

These are exclusive to games/memories against BE opponents so the '03 Championship isn't listed. Hoops makes up 4 of my 5 since the BE was, at its heart, a basketball conference. Although I've been following SU since before the birth of the Big East, my top 5 memories have all occurred within the past decade.

Honorable Mention - Leo's tip-in vs Villanova
5) '13 & '12 Lax Tournament Championships - I just think it's fitting that SU won all of the Men's Lacrosse BETs that will ever be
4) '03 Senior Day vs Rutgers - a win here to cap off an undefeated home season & revenge for an earlier road loss. Plus the ceremony (I still remember Duany's mom dressed in traditional garb) & the crowd chanting for another year of Melo.
3) '03 home vs Pitt - the 3 Court Storming game
2) the '06 BET run - the memory of this is tempered a bit by knowing what came next (a 1st round NCAA exit vs Texas A&M as GMac was hobbled by his groin injury - I defer to JAB on all things basketball related but for this: I think he should have not played GMac at all & saved him for a 2nd round matchup against LSU)
1) 6 Overtimes - this game is of the "I remember where I was when..." variety not only for SU fans but fans of college basketball in general (I was watching on a small TV with built-in VCR, luckily for me I had some spare VHS tapes on hand & was able to record everything)

These are exclusive to games/memories against BE opponents so the '03 Championship isn't listed. Hoops makes up 4 of my 5 since the BE was, at its heart, a basketball conference. Although I've been following SU since before the birth of the Big East, my top 5 memories have all occurred within the past decade.

Honorable Mention - Leo's tip-in vs Villanova
5) '13 & '12 Lax Tournament Championships - I just think it's fitting that SU won all of the Men's Lacrosse BETs that will ever be
Actually, the 'BE' still exists with Georgetown, Providence, St. John's, etc. But it is certainly true that SU won all the the Men's Lacrosse BETs that they were involved in.:)

One of my all time favorite games evah was '01 vs VT at Lane. The last time there (in 99) we came in ranked and they had pasted us 62-0. The following year - Vick beat us in the Dome even though Freeney ran wild. I remember wanting the '00 game so badly - and beating those delustional MF'ers that year was SO sweet.

Jamel Riddle yo.

Saw that game in person with my son while sitting in the middle of a bunch of VT fans. Stopped them 3 and out. Riddle runs the punt back and I am screaming my head off. Son is trying to calm me down because we are sitting in enemy territory but Vt fans were pretty cool. Able to gloat when I got back to Richmond. I believe the game was in Sept. but it was still cold as hell in the mountains. Should have beaten Vick in the Dome if we Had had a QB.

I agree with all of these and would also add in holding Indiana, the number 1 offense in the country, to just 50 points in the sweet 16.

That rustled my jimmys in the best of ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom