Pat Narduzzi is the top Pitt Target, already interviewed | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Pat Narduzzi is the top Pitt Target, already interviewed

You would also think we could at least keep our commits that Doaust brought here. I hope? As a courtesy?
No courtesies when it comes to a young man's future. If they're comfortable here then fine, if not, understandable.

These are all ifs... Ifs, ifs, ifs.

Who knows if it comes to fruition.

Just found this nugget on Spartan nation...
What’s Next for the Michigan State Defensive Coordinator Position?
Chuck Bullough current DC at Syracuse: A great coach with a fiery attitude that has made many jokingly call him “Mini Narduzzi.” He is a Spartan great, a super coach, and his bloodlines run deep in the Spartan Nation. Hiring Bullough is an absolute no brainer. Although not tied to Dantonio per say on the field, there is enough connection that this is a simple fit. The question must be asked, if he is hired as the DC, would that cost MSU Mike Tressel and Harlon Barnett or could one of them share CO DC titles with him? Adding him to the staff is also a possibility and not as the DC, but as one MSU athletics administrator told me last night, “Most underrated thing about Pat was his passion and fire. He changed games in the 4th quarter coming out of the box and down to the field inspiring both sides of the ball. I would love to see Chuck back. Should have been back before this, but if not as the DC can you have your fire and emotion guy being an assistant? How would that work with Mike and Harlon?” Bringing Chuck home is a no brainer.

Pitt Admins must not read this board. They don't realize that hiring a guy with no prior HC experience is stupid. Just because he used to be a DC at a big Michigan school means nothing.

Last edited:
If he is smart, he will hire his OC & DC who have lots of proven experience and/or he takes coaches already coaching for and with him on the D side of Mich State. This is where I never really liked what HCSS did - hiring his friends over experienced coaches - you just shouldn't do that when your new at being the HC. But maybe all Football HCs are meatheads by nature.

The new DC at Mich State will be he position to watch.

HCSS friends are experienced coaches...last I checked we don't have a coach with no experience.

xc84 said:
Pitt Admins must not read this board. They don't realize that hiring a guy with no prior HC experience is stupid. Just because he used to be a DC at a big Michigan schools means nothing.

No - if they read it, the wouldn't come to that conclusion. They would think people who think Shafer is done after one bad season are delusional.

just throwing it out there maybe the msu coach wouldn't allow him to follow any other coaches?

My point all season was that the problems were multi-dimensional. Our offensive coaching stunk, the play calling stunk, the injuries bit us hard, and yes--our talent was subpar compared to peer programs.

Lots of posters would point to one reason as the overarching cause of the offensive difficulty--i.e., it's the play calling, not the talent.

Unfortunately, it was all of the above...

Our HC, much as I like him, has a LOT of proving to do in 2015. If he can't straighten out the offensive lack of production, IMO he's toast.
My theory is this: I want an OC who can flat out call plays and, if possible, develop talent, and I want a DC who can flat out recruit and take orders from HCSS. I have no problem letting HCSS control the defensive side of the ball so long as there's someone on our staff who has a high rank who can recruit.

That fixes play calling and helps recruiting, and may even help coaching. Worst case scenario, it addresses 2/3rds of the causes, which should lead to significant improvement. The proceeds from winning can then be invested into position coaches and improve the 3rd cause.

With Scott Shafer as head coach, I'm really not all that worried about our defense. It should be fine.

Offense is, and always has been, the issue with this staff.

Michigan State: The school has announced that defensive backs coach Harlon Barnett and linebackers coach / special teams coordinator Mike Tressel have been promoted to co-defensive coordinators. Barnett also adds the title of assistant head coach. Both have been on Mark Dantonio’s MSU staff since 2007 and were considered possibilities to join Pat Narduzzi’s staff at Pitt.

Michigan State: The school has announced that defensive backs coach Harlon Barnett and linebackers coach / special teams coordinator Mike Tressel have been promoted to co-defensive coordinators. Barnett also adds the title of assistant head coach. Both have been on Mark Dantonio’s MSU staff since 2007 and were considered possibilities to join Pat Narduzzi’s staff at Pitt.

One down, one to go

With Scott Shafer as head coach, I'm really not all that worried about our defense. It should be fine.

Offense is, and always has been, the issue with this staff.

Agree 100%

This isn't good news for SU. Both of those guys staying might mean Daoust moves up the Pitt DC list.

I think that Pitt will go with a coach with prior DC experiance

@colin_dunlap: Just got text from source close to Pitt staff situation.
Tim Daoust -- d-line coach at Syr -- to speak to Narduzzi about d-coord job.

@colin_dunlap: Just got text from source close to Pitt staff situation.
Tim Daoust -- d-line coach at Syr -- to speak to Narduzzi about d-coord job.
It would be a great position for him. Familiarity with the staff, great mentor in Narduzzi, P5 Coordinator gig, moving on up, good for Tim if he can get it. Selfishly, I hope Narduzzi goes in a different direction.

Daoust is definitely in the DC running at Pitt. Don't feel good about this one.
Tea leaves say this one's setting up well for Coach Daoust. He'd be under Narduzzi's wing. These guys like him and are looking to continue his development, the Midwest connection lives on.

He's earned the opportunity to be involved in these discussions.

I will look at the brightside and say that HCSS can start to begin his coaching tree.

Just like the best players want to play for programs that can get them to the next level, so do great coaches want to go to places they feel will advance their careers longer term.

Pitt fans are less than enthused. Looking at it from their perspective, I get it. Knowing what SU has in him, I hope he stays. If he gets offered the DC position I fully expect him to take it.

If Daoust is indeed in the running here I am happy for him, but I just can't stand that it will be with a team in the ACC.

If Daoust is indeed in the running here I am happy for him, but I just can't stand that it will be with a team in the ACC.
Agreed. Hate to see him go somewhere that he'll be against us on the field and on the trail. Don't look for any recruit flips this year though. Unless it's absolutely what the recruit wants, highly highly doubtful there'd be any poaching for the 2015 class. 2016 though, fair game. If this does come to pass, expect Pitt to be involved in a lot of our recruiting battles.