Path to Top 25 Ranking | Syracusefan.com

Path to Top 25 Ranking

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
If we take care of business vs. Virginia and Wagner, we still need some help getting into the top 25. Focusing on the AP Poll, here are the borderline ranked and unranked teams that we need to drop some games this week. Teams highlighted are the games to watch; either underdogs or favored by no more than 3 points:

1663725320225.png

If by chance we don't slip in @ 5-0. A victory over NC State, catapults us way into the low teens.

Ark plays TAM as well. Minn-MSU.. if Wake plays like the did vs Liberty they lose. Wash st probably loses to Oregon. Who knows if ND wakes up but UNC might lose and then App st/James madison.. Lots of App state love I know but they could also be 0-3.. James Madison might beat them as well coming of 3 weeks of emotional games,

If we take care of business vs. Virginia and Wagner, we still need some help getting into the top 25. Focusing on the AP Poll, here are the borderline ranked and unranked teams that we need to drop some games this week. Teams highlighted are the games to watch; either underdogs or favored by no more than 3 points:

View attachment 220221
Wake, Texas, ATM, Mich State, UNC, Washington State, Cincy, Oregon State, Minnesota all can lose this week.

I don't think that's going to happen but there should be movement ahead of us

Ultimately I think Wake wins, Minnesota wins, UNC wins, and Kansas wins to move up.

IF we handle business we end up like 27-28.

Then we drop next week slightly because, well, it's Wagner.

Last edited:
SU is only in control of one game. Friday night, hosting UVA, take care of business, let the chips fall where they may. Fretting about others only distracts the team from what they must focus on, Virginia.

The Cavs cannot be overlooked. They have not been the same since last year but they have many of the same players who know they can play. While I am confident with our coaches and team, the game must be played and there is no use looking past the Cavs. Stay focused, play one one game at a time, take care of our business, and then things will fall into place.

Go Orange!

Let me make this very easy for everyone: If we win next two games, we'll be comfortably ranked. I would gather with the bye week after the two wins, we'll be in the 12-15 range. Otherwise the system is broken. We're not Bucknell. We'll be 2-0 in the ACC at that point as well.

All that matters is an undefeated season = playoff, 1 loss = NY6 bowl, the rest is analyst fodder.

I’m not saying either of those are likely events, but thats really the only reason why the rankings matter

I think some of the unranked teams are going to pull upsets.

We'll move up some. Might be next week or the bye when we get into the top 25 but being on TV will help. There are some good teams ahead of us with better wins lets be honest.

All that matters is an undefeated season = playoff, 1 loss = NY6 bowl, the rest is analyst fodder.

I’m not saying either of those are likely events, but thats really the only reason why the rankings matter
I don't know. Wake went undefeated deep into last year and were only ranked in the teens. I guess they might get in over Georgia but I don't know what the rankings would have been.

Be thankful that we played 2 legit P5s ND and Purdue and the tougher half of the ACC were it to happen because the polls would be a huge anchor pulling us down. We could run the table and simply not move up over 1/2 loss teams if they were pulling off wins vs other SEC programs.

I think we can keep every game this year close which is why I would not dismiss it out of hand. Probably have already lost too many guys to injury though.

I don't know. Wake went undefeated deep into last year and were only ranked in the teens. I guess they might get in over Georgia but I don't know what the rankings would have been.

Be thankful that we played 2 legit P5s ND and Purdue and the tougher half of the ACC were it to happen because the polls would be a huge anchor pulling us down. We could run the table and simply not move up over 1/2 loss teams if they were pulling off wins vs other SEC programs.

I think we can keep every game this year close which is why I would not dismiss it out of hand. Probably have already lost too many guys to injury though.
Wake was #9 and then they lost to UNC and then they were #10 when they lost to Clemson - they had the respect they earned (they only played 1 ranked team in the regular season), they just needed to not lose to under achieving groups and they could’ve been in the conversation.

Win this week and I think we move up to 27-30. Blow out Wagner by more than 45 points and we move up to the 22-25 range. During the bye week a couple teams ahead of us will lose and will be 17-20 for the NC state matchup.

SU is only in control of one game. Friday night, hosting UVA, take care of business, let the chips fall where they may. Fretting about others only distracts the team from what they must focus on, Virginia.

The Cavs cannot be overlooked. They have not been the same since last year but they have many of the same players who know they can play. While I am confident with our coaches and team, the game must be played and there is no use looking past the Cavs. Stay focused, play one one game at a time, take care of our business, and then things will fall into place.

Go Orange!
You understand I'm posting this for fans on a message board, and not in the team locker room, right? Many fans like me find this interesting. Looking ahead is what we do. There is only 1 game per week and it is fun to consider what may happen 2-3 weeks down the road. Do you only watch and check scores of SU's game, or do you see how other ACC and ranked teams fare?

The year began with wishing we had a map to see 5-0.. Now are close enough to see a path to 5-0. Win this week and the sign on the corner to 5-0 house shows up.. Win that and the 6-0 door can have a chance to be opened.. but you have to get past this week first

As has been mentioned before. Top 25 matters for perception, recruiting, and how much we’re talked about on the national stage. Ranked outside the 25 nobody is talking about us. If we were ranked 22 right now we’d have a lot more coverage. Right or wrong, it matters.

As has been mentioned before. Top 25 matters for perception, recruiting, and how much we’re talked about on the national stage. Ranked outside the 25 nobody is talking about us. If we were ranked 22 right now we’d have a lot more coverage. Right or wrong, it matters.
This. We can say "keep winning" all we want, which is obviously good, but you know what recruits love? Coming to a loud dome and watching a RANKED team win. Lets say the perception nationally was that we were going to be good this year. If we had started off the season ranked, we'd be top 15 right now. Every high school player thinks they're the s***, so you get a couple higher ranked players to visit, and they envision themselves being the pieces that takes the team to the "next level." You see verbiage like that all the time in visit interviews. So win, yes, but let's also pray that some other teams lose so we can be ranked ASAP.

Big-time recruit coming this week in Caden Brown, a legacy.

Need a strong performance and environment this week.

He's the type of recruit, from NYC, rated highly, at a position that is always a need (DL), that with wins and a great environment, we can get back to landing - like during the glory years.

It's important to be ranked or close to ranked, and winning games, to win these recruiting battles.

Convincing win and some luck, we’re ranked. If we’re 5-0 and two more weekends of games, I find it hard to believe we’re not ranked. Enough movement will happen and we will be 5-0 with 3 P5 wins.

As far as the Gameday watch (yeah, I can look ahead, I'm a fan), cross Knoxville off the list since they're hosting the crew this weekend. They host Alabama on Oct 15.

NC State would have to beat Clemson and FSU.

More problematic is Penn State @ Michigan, highly doubt either loses before then.

If Kansas and Oklahoma keep winning, that could also be a problem. Kansas has 3 home games, Oklahoma will be favored in all their games.

Still think USC - Utah would be on the radar too if they both keep winning, even though Utah lost to Florida. Utah is still in the top 15.

Score scroll on TV has a top 25 category. ESPN app score page for NCAAF comes up with top 25 selected by default. Being in that group gets your name in front of eyeballs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom