Class of 2020 - Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
What leads you to think he's a 1 year difference maker at this high of a level? He did 11/6 with a block on 66% shooting in the Ivy last year. Sidibe is at 5/7 on 68% with a block in the ACC. Obviously if the coaches are interested that means more than anything we can decipher from stats but I see a lot of similar comments and just don't really get it. No fan of Sidibe but not sure its a guarantee that this kid is an upgrade when factoring in a big step up in competition. Towns on the other hand...

I think Tape would improve our team, and in the absence of other choices I'd take him, but what we really need is a guy with half his scoring ability and double his shot blocking ability. A top notch rim protector would make all the difference in the world to this team.

I think Tape would improve our team, and in the absence of other choices I'd take him, but what we really need is a guy with half his scoring ability and double his shot blocking ability. A top notch rim protector would make all the difference in the world to this team.
i miss chukwu, plus bringing Tape in would give Jesse and JBA some more time to develop.

I agree, but half a loaf is better than none. Sidibe is not a rim protector and not enough of an offensive threat that teams bother to provide help. Also, Sidibe and Marek cant stay out of foul trouble and we need help now. Tape is a threat to score and will help others get open shots. We need Tape as a stopgap until the other 2 are ready. Imo we have to take him in a heart beat.

[/QUOTE]I think Tape would improve our team, and in the absence of other choices I'd take him, but what we really need is a guy with half his scoring ability and double his shot blocking ability. A top notch rim protector would make all the difference in the world to this team.
[/QUOTE]
I agree with this. Centers often take several years to develop, and I'm not sure that either Edwards or Bol Ajak will be ready to help much next year. As a 5th year player, Tape would be ready to play. At the very least, he would help by providing 5 more fouls at Center. That would keep Dolezaj at forward, where he can be more effective against the better teams.

If we could grab this guy, then maybe we could give Edwards a RS year next year.

A big concern for me is that if he comes in then we are going to lose all 3 guys that eat up all of the mins at the 5 and probably the majority at the 4 depending on where Quincy gets his mins. We'd be left with 2 guys that have barely touched the floor going into the '21-'22 season.

Guess my preference would be for JBA and Edwards to battle it out to be the 3rd big even if that means the rotation is slightly less effective than if Tape were part of it. I would think its in the best interest in the program going forward to have at least 1 of them getting some minutes. I would hope 1 of them is capable of playing spot minutes in year 2, not like it will be much anyway with Sidibe and Marek around.

Maybe I'm completely off and Tape improves the team slightly and that ends up being enough to push the team to the right side of the bubble next year.

A big concern for me is that if he comes in then we are going to lose all 3 guys that eat up all of the mins at the 5 and probably the majority at the 4 depending on where Quincy gets his mins. We'd be left with 2 guys that have barely touched the floor going into the '21-'22 season.

Guess my preference would be for JBA and Edwards to battle it out to be the 3rd big even if that means the rotation is slightly less effective than if Tape were part of it. I would think its in the best interest in the program going forward to have at least 1 of them getting some minutes. I would hope 1 of them is capable of playing spot minutes in year 2, not like it will be much anyway with Sidibe and Marek around.

Maybe I'm completely off and Tape improves the team slightly and that ends up being enough to push the team to the right side of the bubble next year.
I hear you Chugg, but the ultimate goal is to win. Adding Tape means we likely don't have 180 lb Marek trying to play the 5 in crunch time against FSU, which is not ideal. It gives the coaches more options for lineups, red-shirting, insurance in case of injuries, etc.

I hear you Chugg, but the ultimate goal is to win. Adding Tape means we likely don't have 180 lb Marek trying to play the 5 in crunch time against FSU, which is not ideal. It gives the coaches more options for lineups, red-shirting, insurance in case of injuries, etc.
That’s why we need a center is the worst way. The opposition is throwing bigs at us non stop.

Tape was fifth in the Ivy League in blocks and 10th in rebounds last season playing 22.7 minutes per game. That isn't shabby. If you look at the game by game breakdown, he clearly got better as the season progressed.
He was 220 pounds in 2018-19. My guess he that he will likely add 10-20 pounds after sitting out a year and getting access to better training/nutrition/weight lifting.

I think he would make a major impact here if he decided to come.

Tape was fifth in the Ivy League in blocks and 10th in rebounds last season playing 22.7 minutes per game. That isn't shabby. If you look at the game by game breakdown, he clearly got better as the season progressed.
He was 220 pounds in 2018-19. My guess he that he will likely add 10-20 pounds after sitting out a year and getting access to better training/nutrition/weight lifting.

Any idea why he played only 22.7 minutes per game?

Tape would be a great fill in as well for what could be a real strength for us in Ajak and Edwards jr years. Those two, especially Jesse could be an awesome two headed monster. Jesse has the unique ability in being tough on the high post entry and being a 7 footer to block shots. He just lacks strength. A kid like Tape is perfect to be around and get stronger but also not be over relied on in his second year. Similarly, Ajak is a year behind Jesse having not played so while he may bring more beef he also has a longer developmental curve at this juncture. Both I hope allow us to continue the trend of playing smaller offensively with skill 1-4. Marek may not be smaller persay but he is a playmaker.

We have all said it but the ability at the 5 missing is key alongside better D at the top. If we can get both next year with improvement, adding Richmond etc there is a lot of promise. Definitely a ton of value in getting this kid for a year. Especially if no Eli- we will need more offense overall anyway.

Tape would be a great fill in as well for what could be a real strength for us in Ajak and Edwards jr years. Those two, especially Jesse could be an awesome two headed monster. Jesse has the unique ability in being tough on the high post entry and being a 7 footer to block shots. He just lacks strength. A kid like Tape is perfect to be around and get stronger but also not be over relied on in his second year. Similarly, Ajak is a year behind Jesse having not played so while he may bring more beef he also has a longer developmental curve at this juncture. Both I hope allow us to continue the trend of playing smaller offensively with skill 1-4. Marek may not be smaller persay but he is a playmaker.

We have all said it but the ability at the 5 missing is key alongside better D at the top. If we can get both next year with improvement, adding Richmond etc there is a lot of promise. Definitely a ton of value in getting this kid for a year. Especially if no Eli- we will need more offense overall anyway.
McAllister said in an article I just read that Tape is up to 232. Makes me want to see him in orange even more!

That was a great handle in the open floor, similar to what Marek has done a few times this year
If you aren't impressed with Tape's tape, your standards are incredibly high. He would be a huge difference maker for us. With the shooters and slashers we have, we would be really hard to defend.

Let’s just say for instance Tape came here and Hughes returned, I think we’d have a legit shot to win it all and that’s all you can really ask for!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom