Class of 2020 - Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You had me at 6’10 and 240.

I was thinking the same and then Matt Gorman ( not hating loved Matt) was also 6'9 235 himself. The skills and aggressiveness is what is so sexy about Tape at that size.

Its really scary when you think about either how poorly the staff has evaluated hs players or been unable to get commitments from its top targets when the guy on Columbia looks better than what they have/had in Sidibe, and Chuckwu.

I remember watching the first weekend of the NCAA last year and noticed how many mid majors and major programs that are not historically successful, had centers that looked more polished or stronger than what Cuse has been stocked with. It was startling.

Its really scary when you think about either how poorly the staff has evaluated hs players or been unable to get commitments from its top targets when the guy on Columbia looks better than what they have/had in Sidibe, and Chuckwu.

I remember watching the first weekend of the NCAA last year and noticed how many mid majors and major programs that are not historically successful, had centers that looked more polished or stronger than what Cuse has been stocked with. It was startling.

Centers typically have a longer developmental curve and you see more "diamonds at the position". Even look at Arinze for us. No one saw that coming as he developed into one of the most consistent low post scoring threats we have had.

We have no doubt also had some good talent at the 5. You then look at guys like Chukwu and Sidibe and it is fair to assess there was potential there and things haven't worked out. There are a lot of reasons for where we are at right now. Guys like Edwards and Ajak might make the staff look genius in a couple years and flashes have been there for Edwards.

Big guys are slow to develop. They are the hardest players to evaluate and coaches make the most mistakes with them.

Kentucky took a big transfer from Bucknell last recruiting cycle no one wanted out of HS.
One of the best bigs in college ball right now is Nathan Knight, out of William and Mary. He played at Nottingham HS in Syracuse. No one heard of him or recruited him. He had to go to prep school just to get an offer from that school.

Mfiondu Kabengele was one of the best big guys in the country last season at FSU. He had one offer, from Binghamton, out of HS.

Tape wasn't the player he is now when he was in HS. Credit to him for working hard and Columbia for doing a good job developing him. I think our young bigs are going to be fine players in a year or two. We need a big right away, like a lot of other programs. That is why so many schools are going after Tape hard.

Big guys are slow to develop. They are the hardest players to evaluate and coaches make the most mistakes with them.

Kentucky took a big transfer from Bucknell last recruiting cycle no one wanted out of HS.
One of the best bigs in college ball right now is Nathan Knight, out of William and Mary. He played at Nottingham HS in Syracuse. No one heard of him or recruited him. He had to go to prep school just to get an offer from that school.

Mfiondu Kabengele was one of the best big guys in the country last season at FSU. He had one offer, from Binghamton, out of HS.

Tape wasn't the player he is now when he was in HS. Credit to him for working hard and Columbia for doing a good job developing him. I think our young bigs are going to be fine players in a year or two. We need a big right away, like a lot of other programs. That is why so many schools are going after Tape hard.

Bummer for Binghamton. Not that he would have stayed there but that program could have used a gem since the Broadus mess. Nice university, really nice little field house and love having it a quick drive for a college hoops game or two every winter.

Centers typically have a longer developmental curve and you see more "diamonds at the position". Even look at Arinze for us. No one saw that coming as he developed into one of the most consistent low post scoring threats we have had.

We have no doubt also had some good talent at the 5. You then look at guys like Chukwu and Sidibe and it is fair to assess there was potential there and things haven't worked out. There are a lot of reasons for where we are at right now. Guys like Edwards and Ajak might make the staff look genius in a couple years and flashes have been there for Edwards.

AO showed potential as a true freshman. We were all surprised then, as he looked way better than his recruiting rankings. He was just caught behind a veteran Watkins. Then he got hurt. By his 3rd year he was a legit go to guy. He never looked flat out bad offensively the way our recent guys all have.

Watch the play at 30 seconds. Imagine trying to guard us 1-5 with him and Marek on the court together
Holy crap.
Weird, seeing his modest statistics, versus the plays he's making in the highlight reel.
We can say that Sidibe has similar/better stats in a better conference, but i don't see Sidibe making these kinds of plays if he were in the Ivy. I mean, heck, i wish we had those plays and motion in our book.
This kid also has a physicality that has to be respected by opposing players.

He may affect the development of Edwards and turn him into a 'break glass in case of emergency' option, but i hope never to see Ajak at center. JBA plays like a 3.

AO showed potential as a true freshman. We were all surprised then, as he looked way better than his recruiting rankings. He was just caught behind a veteran Watkins. Then he got hurt. By his 3rd year he was a legit go to guy. He never looked flat out bad offensively the way our recent guys all have.

From a pure recruiting perspective expectations were not high. I was getting at the whole lack of offers with a guy like Tape. Big guys can be late bloomers was my point and show up in college where they didn't in HS. You can see the potential in Edwards. We saw potential in Sidibe as a freshman that hasn't matriculated given injury issues.

Great footwork and really good finisher with both hands. He has a good understanding of the pick and roll and slips the roll very well. My only reservation is the competition he’s playing. All HS tapes look good too, but he has a very high skill level that is very noticeable.

Last edited:
Holy crap.
Weird, seeing his modest statistics, versus the plays he's making in the highlight reel.
We can say that Sidibe has similar/better stats in a better conference, but i don't see Sidibe making these kinds of plays if he were in the Ivy. I mean, heck, i wish we had those plays and motion in our book.

He may affect the development of Edwards and turn him into a 'break glass in case of emergency' option, but i hope never to see Ajak at center. JBA plays like a 3.

JBA at 6'10 230 lb ( his words on expected gain from article) would be an interesting "3". Not sure where anyone has seen enough of him in Orange to lay claim he plays like a 3.

Holy crap.

Yeah, the highlight reel vs what I was imagining based on stats were 2 very different things too.
I've been complaining for years that I just want a 6'9 beefy 5 like Notre Dame grows on trees. Those guys have been putting 18 and 12 on us for over a decade. Pitt used to have the same thing too. Zone recruiting at the 5 is always annoying because the lanky 7 footers that JB wants as rim protectors usually come with 0 offensive ability.

JBA at 6'10 230 lb ( his words on expected gain from article) would be an interesting "3". Not sure where anyone has seen enough of him in Orange to lay claim he plays like a 3.
I'm obviously speaking only of how he played in High School. More like a Tyler Lydon than a Rak Christmas. And, obviously, JB could stick him at the 5, like he has with Marek. I just hope that's not the plan. Doesn't [edit: DIDN'T] seem like it's in his DNA. I also don't see him getting to 230, but hey, stranger things...

Last edited:
I'm obviously speaking only of how he played in High School. More like a Tyler Lydon than a Rak Christmas. And, obviously, JB could stick him at the 5, like he has with Marek. I just hope that's not the plan. Doesn't seem like it's in his DNA. I also don't see him getting to 230, but hey, stranger things...

The good news out of practice is that the opposite seems to be true. As in JBA is the rare big man who actually wants to / is working hard to improve his low post capabilities, instead of wanting to play on the perimeter. He's a good shooter already, which will hopefully manifest in pick-and-rolls, etc. -- but it would be nice to have someone who can also do some damage inside.

Word on the street is that he's a hard worker, he's hitting the weight room, and trying to play more physically. Here's hoping.

The good news out of practice is that the opposite seems to be true. As in JBA is the rare big man who actually wants to / is working hard to improve his low post capabilities, instead of wanting to play on the perimeter. He's a good shooter already, which will hopefully manifest in pick-and-rolls, etc. -- but it would be nice to have someone who can also do some damage inside.

Word on the street is that he's a hard worker, he's hitting the weight room, and trying to play more physically. Here's hoping.
Thanks. That's awesome. He looked like the kind of guy who could be effective inside, but like he only wanted to stand on the outside and heave threes.

It’s all speculation at this point, but I would be surprised if JBA plays anywhere other than the 5. He has skills, but on tape he seems to lack explosiveness and quickness. Speaking in absolutes before we’ve seen the kid play at this level isn’t real smart...but I don’t see a 3

It’s all speculation at this point, but I would be surprised if JBA plays anywhere other than the 5. He has skills, but on tape he seems to lack explosiveness and quickness. Speaking in absolutes before we’ve seen the kid play at this level isn’t real smart...but I don’t see a 3

I envision him as a taller RickJack sorta guy, only with much better J (not saying much);
Not particularly explosive, but solid positional D, and can play the 5 or 4 as needed.

Rick was super-crafty around the rim, but pretty much useless on O from farther than 5' away.
JBA has some shooting skills (for a Big), but probably isn't going to the rebounder/defender that Rick became.

I envision him as a taller RickJack sorta guy, only with much better J (not saying much);
Not particularly explosive, but solid positional D, and can play the 5 or 4 as needed.

Rick was super-crafty around the rim, but pretty much useless on O from farther than 5' away.
JBA has some shooting skills (for a Big), but probably isn't going to the rebounder/defender that Rick became.
I’d take a R Jackson type in a heartbeat. IMO, Jackson showed as much or more development than any 5 we’ve had.

I think that's a fair assessment -- he's NOT explosive, from what I understand. Whereas we typically have jumping jack pogo-stick types to be runner / rejectors on defense, this guy is bigger and plays somewhat below the rim. Which can totally work on both sides of the ball -- see Arinze and Rick, who used their size / strength to anchor position on defense.

And by the way, that's not to suggest that he isn't a good athlete, he's just not an elite one. Few are. JBA can get up and down the floor just fine, too.

I’d take a R Jackson type in a heartbeat. IMO, Jackson showed as much or more development than any 5 we’ve had.

13 and 10 with 2.5 blocks AND 2 assists per night. Would kill for that.

JBA’s a stretch 5 that already has a developed j. Taurean Thompson thats not allergic to rebounds and defense is my hope.

What do you guys think our chances are with Tape? I have a decent feeling because he played with Red and Griff over the summer. Just wondering what other people thought are chances would be with this guy.

What do you guys think our chances are with Tape? I have a decent feeling because he played with Red and Griff over the summer. Just wondering what other people thought are chances would be with this guy.
Definite chance, for all those reasons.

I think it comes down to whether he wants a clear path to a starting role -- might not get that at SU.

If he's willing to bet on himself and compete for PT and potentially be a cog on a good team, then we've got a good chance.

Definite chance, for all those reasons.

I think it comes down to whether he wants a clear path to a starting role -- might not get that at SU.
That and his pursuit of a degree from his next school. I have no idea what his undergrad degree was already in.

As for playing time, I'd say its 50/50 whether he starts over Bourama, but BS can't stay on the floor without fouling so the playing time would be there whether he is starting or not.

I think he’d be starting right away imo. I bet sidibe would be more effective as a backup anyway.

That and his pursuit of a degree from his next school. I have no idea what his undergrad degree was already in.

As for playing time, I'd say its 50/50 whether he starts over Bourama, but BS can't stay on the floor without fouling so the playing time would be there whether he is starting or not.
Good point in first paragraph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors