Class of 2020 - Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edwards shows so much promise. Remember when we wanted to redshirt BJ and it caused him to leave? He blew up at LaSalle after that
His RS at LaSalle helped to become the player he is.

Plus centers are different they take long to develop because they general stop growing later in life.

Edwards needs to gain muscle and a lot of it, both in his upper body and lower body. This cannot be done in a summer and can't be done during the season either.

Ah good ole tuttle making the obvious comment thanks captain!
No duh they go there Jesus Christ
If you understood context, the post to which I was replying proposed that an important reason to come to SU would be for all of the scouts that would come to games at the Dome, as if an equal number of scouts didn't go to other games.

If you understood context, the post to which I was replying proposed that an important reason to come to SU would be for all of the scouts that would come to games at the Dome, as if an equal number of scouts didn't go to other games.
Hey buddy let’s actually use our brain for once. Why was it that only you made a comment about it? Because everyone already understood thats not what he meant. Wow hard!

Why was it deleted? Because it wasn’t true lol

More likely because the kid didn't want the word out. His preference is Maryland. The sportswriter said that basically he had eliminated us. I'm sure the kid doesn't want to close out his options, but he's very unlikely at this point.

Last edited:
I was much more impressed with him as a recruit than I was with Edwards. Concerns me a bit that he was a redshirt while Edwards was not though.

Didn't you see how he played in the scrimmages? He had literally no idea what he was doing out there.

More likely because the kid didn't want the word out. His preference is Maryland. The sportswriter said that basically he had eliminated us. I'm sure the kid doesn't want to close out his options, but he's very unlikely at this point.
Well if it’s not him we need another big we cannot win with what we have next year. Need a grad transfer.

Plus centers are different they take long to develop because they general stop growing later in life.

Edwards needs to gain muscle and a lot of it, both in his upper body and lower body. This cannot be done in a summer and can't be done during the season either.
I agree it helped, but he left because we wanted him to RS...

I agree it helped, but he left because we wanted him to RS...

Uh, no.

We were newly under the scholarship reductions, so him taking a RS would have been the exact last thing we needed at that time.

BJ SHOULD have taken a RS his Frosh year, but Robey couldn’t clear the NCAA clearinghouse / wheelhouse, so when we went to Canada and BJ played well in his stead, he ended up not RS’ing.

Which in retrospect was a mistake.
He only appeared in 10 games for a total of 55 minutes as a Frosh.
What a waste.

A RS year clearly benefited him (he was VERY young for his class) and he turned into a great college player - combo of CJ Fair with Souty’s shooting.

If immediate playing time isn’t enough then I suggest we hire the best maids Vegas can spare to do a thorough deep cleaning of all athletic facilities, equipment and staff. This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry can’t sell a stinky car.

No, I think we have to simply play more of the guys we have. That's how they get better, not in practice, but under the bright lights, with referees, in games that matter.
I agree with that. But at the same time who do you see making an impact? Edwards has potential but is not physically ready and don’t believe he will be ready next year either. JBA??? Sidibe??? If we have Stewart this year we’re dancing with room to do a lot of damage.

There is only so much you can do in practice. Also anyone who has played at the College level regardless of sport will tell you that when you come off the bench into a game the first few minutes i would say 2 minimum are a blur, foggy. The point is practice can only take you so far. Every player needs game time. As a coach the art is how you accomplish that.

I agree with that. But at the same time who do you see making an impact? Edwards has potential but is not physically ready and don’t believe he will be ready next year either. JBA??? Sidibe??? If we have Stewart this year we’re dancing with room to do a lot of damage.
Why won't Edwards be ready next season?

Is he going to put on 30 lbs? I think he needs to redshirt next year and bulk up imo.

You mean, just like Baye and Lydon and CDB & Marek did?

Non-medical RS is very rare these days.
JBA is the exception, not the rule.

Only way that happens for Jesse (barring injury) is if we get Tapé or similar Grad transfer 5 , who locks down the starting job for 25+ mins a game, leaving CDB & JBA fighting for scraps.

In that scenario, maybe JB can talk Jesse into the RS.
But even then - it’s always the player’s decision.

Unfortunately that 5* that took his starting spot was a sophomore (Frank Kepnang) I believe. Not a good look for a senior to lose his starting spot to a senior. I have no idea why the staff stayed so focued on JBA and never looked at Oscar Tshiebwe of WV who played last year in PA
He got pushed all the way to the bench by Collier at the 4 spot also. It wasn't necessarily an indictment on him, because those guys who pushed him to the bench are top line players. He was the 4th option on his high school team playing the 4 next to Big Frank.

How bad are we if we think a high school backup PF will save us as a starting ACC Center as a redshirt freshman??????This has NOTHING to do with JBA as he is a great kid and good role player prospect at ACC level as a 3 or stretch 4. But its crazy for people to think he is a center UNLESS they have never seen him play. The problem is I have watched him (really his team again he was 4th option) play multiple times. He wasn't the guy on that team that we need at Syracuse. Jalen Gaffney, Noah Collier, Frank Kepnang all would be difference makers for us. Again its not JBA fault and he gives his all. Just weird we got him. He's essentially a Brasswell clone with less athleticism and still learning the game.

Last edited:
You mean, just like Baye and Lydon and CDB & Marek did?

Non-medical RS is very rare these days.
JBA is the exception, not the rule.

Only way that happens for Jesse (barring injury) is if we get Tapé or similar Grad transfer 5 , who locks down the starting job for 25+ mins a game, leaving CDB & JBA fighting for scraps.

In that scenario, maybe JB can talk Jesse into the RS.
But even then - it’s always the player’s decision.

Edwards is similar to JBA. Again another guy just LEARNING the game. Once they finally learn how to play they can then gain weight and we will see if they actually CAN play. We took a flyer and Dolezaj and he has exceeded expectations. Lets hope these guys do as well..... but I wouldn't count on it.

There is only so much you can do in practice. Also anyone who has played at the College level regardless of sport will tell you that when you come off the bench into a game the first few minutes i would say 2 minimum are a blur, foggy. The point is practice can only take you so far. Every player needs game time. As a coach the art is how you accomplish that.

And everyone who knows anything about anything knows that it’s not realistic to play more than an 8 man rotation. The exception being if you press all game and play extremely fast, Helter skelter ball, which we dont.

Edwards is similar to JBA. Again another guy just LEARNING the game. Once they finally learn how to play they can then gain weight and we will see if they actually CAN play. We took a flyer and Dolezaj and he has exceeded expectations. Lets hope these guys do as well... but I wouldn't count on it.
It's not linear i.e. first learn how to play then gain weight, these things have to happen concurrently.

I believe JBA more physically developed than Edwards, but Edwards is more skilled basketball wise.

Dolezaj arrived on campus for more skilled than either of them...

Then why do players redshirt if you can only get better playing games?

tapé is plan b. plan a is developing the 4 bigs already on the roster.

kick the tires on any other available bigs & they become plans c, d, e . . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors