Class of 2020 - Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice if Hughes went ahead and made it official. We need to move on here.

Interesting on the comment about Towns. Sounds like that would almost be more attractive to Tape if Hughes left and Towns came than Hughes staying.

Just spoke with Pat. I'll probably have something on him Thursday morning. Here's a few notes from our conversation:
-Academics are really, really important
-There are concerns about Hughes leaving and how he gets replaced
-Playing in the ACC/around North Carolina is big
-Says Syracuse is among the top schools but he's likely waiting for the dust to settle in terms of NBA departures, other transfers before making a choice
-He and Seth Towns have spoken and ST landing in Syracuse would be huge

Thanks for your excellent post. It's refreshing to get actual information, as opposed to "he isn't coming here", followed by nothing. It still seems like an uphill battle, but one that isn't over. Here are the positive takeaways:

-- Tape stresses academics and is an urban studies major. I admit not knowing much about that major. Infrastructure/designing better social & economic systems? There should be crossover between those issues and creating public policy. SU's Maxwell School is nationally renowned for public administration.
-- Concerns about Hughes' departure would seem to be alleviated by Towns replacing him. The fact these transfer candidates have actually spoken is HUGE, along with the fact that one or two posters seem to confirm mutual interest between Towns and SU.
-- Tape is from Charlotte. Maryland is a major threat to land him and geographically closer to North Carolina. But SU plays in the ACC and has road games down there where his family can see him. UM is playing Big10 road games nowhere near there. The post also suggests he likes the ACC, which makes sense, given where he grew up. Now if he starts visiting ACC schools from NC/VA, that's a killer for us.
-- Tape seems in no hurry to make his decision. There's a decent chance we/he will know the personnel and scholarship situation before he commits.

The negative is that Tape knows he's speaking to a Syracuse person and maybe doesn't want to tip his hand. Maybe he framed our chances as better than they actually are. On face value though, there seems to be encouraging stuff here.

Thanks for your excellent post. It's refreshing to get actual information, as opposed to "he isn't coming here", followed by nothing. It still seems like an uphill battle, but one that isn't over. Here are the positive takeaways:

-- Tape stresses academics and is an urban studies major. I admit not knowing much about that major. Infrastructure/designing better social & economic systems? There should be crossover between those issues and creating public policy. SU's Maxwell School is nationally renowned for public administration.
-- Concerns about Hughes' departure would seem to be alleviated by Towns replacing him. The fact these transfer candidates have actually spoken is HUGE, along with the fact that one or two posters seem to confirm mutual interest between Towns and SU.
-- Tape is from Charlotte. Maryland is a major threat to land him and geographically closer to North Carolina. But SU plays in the ACC and has road games down there where his family can see him. UM is playing Big10 road games nowhere near there. The post also suggests he likes the ACC, which makes sense, given where he grew up. Now if he starts visiting ACC schools from NC/VA, that's a killer for us.
-- Tape seems in no hurry to make his decision. There's a decent chance we/he will know the personnel and scholarship situation before he commits.

The negative is that Tape knows he's speaking to a Syracuse person and maybe doesn't want to tip his hand. Maybe he framed our chances as better than they actually are. On face value though, there seems to be encouraging stuff here.

To add a little more to this:
-He said there's something similar to his program from Columbia at Syracuse, though he said it wasn't a perfect fit but it was good enough
-Said most of his family went to UNC and I'm under the impression they didn't get to go to his games at Columbia
-I did ask about his current rankings -- even offered to go off the record if he wanted to be honest -- and he said he's waiting to see decisions for NBA/transfers before evaluating his options

Edit: If I have stuff left over after the story I'll just drop the quotes in here.

Doesn’t sound super promising but we appreciate the info!

Sounds like Tape and Towns could be a package deal. That could eliminate a lot of schools potentially.

We have all 13 scholarships allocated right now.

We have 2 guys coming in next year ( Newton, Kadary) - so we need to free up 2 scholarships, 1 is a senior (Belbey), and we aassume Eli will be the other.

If we add a Grad Transfer (Towns, Tape) we will need someone else to leave (Carey, HoWash, Braswell)

was EH noticed at uncgame?

I'm convinced that the same a-hole responsible for bringing back PBR is now trying really hard to bring back short shorts. Patrick should eliminate the Terps from consideration for forcing him to wear those things and then posting a pic of it.

Sounds to me he grew up an ACC basketball fan and his family is in ACC country. Having the opportunity to play against the schools he grew up watching for one year in front of his family would be a big factor IMO.

If Elijah doesn't leave it makes all this moot though.

He was quoted prior to the game that he didn't want to be regardless of what he decision will be. That day is for seniors.

Isn't he a senior (though a red shirt junior, eligibility-wise, due to sitting out a year)?

If he's not going to be graduating this spring, maybe that's a good reason for him to come back next year.

Sibide was never mobile while healthy, check his HS highlights, he's not that good and Syracuse couldn't recruit anyone better.

Edwards needs to bulk up w/ 20 lbs of muscle to contribute at all next year.

Ajak, I think he'll be productive and very good in the 2021-2022 season.
This post is so erroneous, it is really funny.
Watch this video:

I've watched several of JAB's high school games. He did not show the same level of athleticism as Sidibe at the same age. Maybe a better face up jumper but not the quick leaping ability and quick moves to the basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom