Class of 2020 - Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither one of you know what our coach said or didnt. Sidibe was sensational at the end of the year, but couldn't be counted on the rest of the year. Not only was he constantly in foul trouble but he wasn't very good at all at times, he's a box of chocolates. If he plays well and if Tape wants to come here (we have to take him), then and only then will we know who is better. That's alot of ifs. And it's not even a fact that anyone will start but the best odds are Buddy and Marek. But coming off a 18-14 season I think no player or fan should write in stone who should start, especially with the inconsistent play of a couple of them.
I think the kid will have a senior year to remember. He won't be great every game, but he will be a double double threat every time out. A full off season without rehabbing will do him wonders.

“However, based on several conversations with people close to the program, it doesn’t appear likely Towns and Tape will choose Syracuse. So the Orange will still need to find options who could transfer in and play immediately.”

Can anyone contradict?

Those games aren’t lost on me but it’s not about four games he has been nonexistent for three quarters of the year! We lost 14 games and got abused down low
I think coming on strong at the end of the year says more than how he was playing in january. I want what is best for the team. If it is Tape, and I know the staff want him, but I think we might be okay if we don't get him. If Sid can continue to improve and we get something from JBA or Edwards, we will be okay.

I’m not ok with losing 14 games a year and being mediocre down low. We need a post presence that can be consistent...don’t know if that’s Tapé of not

“However, based on several conversations with people close to the program, it doesn’t appear likely Towns and Tape will choose Syracuse. So the Orange will still need to find options who could transfer in and play immediately.”

Can anyone contradict?

Uh oh.

he doesn’t disagree. You think he promised tape a starting spot? Sid starts next year. Tape or no tape.

Why get hung up on who starts? Tape isn't. In the Athletic article cited elsewhere in this thread, he's quoted saying he doesn't necessarily need to start but wants to be a contributor with a significant impact on the game. Tape seems to have the ability to do that. In fact, Boeheim's interest indicates he's counting on it. I think it's a safe bet that the most minutes and/or who plays in the most critical portions of the game will be whichever center Coach feels gives him the best chance to win any given game. As it should be.

Based on other posts, you don't seem interested at all in Tape coming here. My question is why. What's wrong with having two quality centers, if you can get it?

Okay so with half of our team leaving... what are we look at now as far as needs and ship numbers?

I think coming on strong at the end of the year says more than how he was playing in january. I want what is best for the team. If it is Tape, and I know the staff want him, but I think we might be okay if we don't get him. If Sid can continue to improve and we get something from JBA or Edwards, we will be okay.

I hope you're right but I still worry about Sidibe. This year, in his first 19 games against P5 teams, he averaged 4.5 pts and 5.5 rbs. In the last 6 games, his average jumped to 9.8 pts/11.7 rbs. Maybe that's a true turnaround or maybe there's too much optimism based on a small sample size of success and recency bias.

He also had two injury-riddled years, followed by one healthy one. Are the leg issues completely behind him? Two different guys, but DaJuan Coleman had knee issues for three years, bounced back to start every game in '15-'16, then had his knees go bad again for good.

Finally, even during that great 6-game stretch, he still showed foul problems. In the first 19, he averaged 4.4 fouls/gm and fouled out 7 times. In the last six, he averaged 4.2 fouls and fouled out twice. Even if Sidibe's turnaround is real, he can't help us if he's not on the floor. I would feel much better with Tape around.

I hope you're right but I still worry about Sidibe. This year, in his first 19 games against P5 teams, he averaged 4.5 pts and 5.5 rbs. In the last 6 games, his average jumped to 9.8 pts/11.7 rbs. Maybe that's a true turnaround or maybe there's too much optimism based on a small sample size of success and recency bias.

He also had two injury-riddled years, followed by one healthy one. Are the leg issues completely behind him? Two different guys, but DaJuan Coleman had knee issues for three years, bounced back to start every game in '15-'16, then had his knees go bad again for good.

Finally, even during that great 6-game stretch, he still showed foul problems. In the first 19, he averaged 4.4 fouls/gm and fouled out 7 times. In the last six, he averaged 4.2 fouls and fouled out twice. Even if Sidibe's turnaround is real, he can't help us if he's not on the floor. I would feel much better with Tape around.
The thing that bothered me the both about his fouls is how ticky tack a lot of them were. A little bit of that is bad officiating, but if you’re a big man and have been beat to the point where you’re going to foul a guy, at least make it a hard foul. A lot of his fouls led to and one’s. Tie the dude up if you have to, but you have to make a physical play.

I hope this stretch has at least built up BS’s confidence. If he can put on like 15 lbs, channel the play he showed down the stretch, and learn how to foul less, he could be an all conference big.

The thing that bothered me the both about his fouls is how ticky tack a lot of them were. A little bit of that is bad officiating, but if you’re a big man and have been beat to the point where you’re going to foul a guy, at least make it a hard foul. A lot of his fouls led to and one’s. Tie the dude up if you have to, but you have to make a physical play.

I hope this stretch has at least built up BS’s confidence. If he can put on like 15 lbs, channel the play he showed down the stretch, and learn how to foul less, he could be an all conference big.
Better players--or at least players who are perceived to be better--get a better whistle. Maybe, based upon his late-season improvement, Sidibe gets more respect.

Look at Rak's trend line that peaked in a huge senior season. I don't know if would look exactly similar, but he didn't also have to deal with overcoming the injuries that City Bay has had to deal with. There is reason to be optimistic about what City Bay may be able to bring next season, but if we can have more players that can contribute at a high level that's better than having fewer (assuming Juli can convince JB over the summer).

Sidibe played much better for sure. He also benefitted from Dolezaj and Guerrier becoming much bigger threats. Marek especially helped Bourama via being able to attack his man one on one and find Bourama for easy buckets. Elijah did the same.

Tape would be a huge addition given his size and ability to attack the rim somewhat like Dolezaj. I do think that we saw the frontcourt become a huge strength for this team. Hughes being a large part of that. Given as much, a Towns is much more important than a Tape. Dolezaj must have someone who can complement him with Hughes gone. Tape would be more of an upgrade at the 5 than any replacement for Eli.

What I got from Gus Johnson's pronunciation was "C. D. Bey"--like Bourama's from Turkey.

I always thought that Sid was saying his last name like "CDB".
But the last part sorta trails off, so it could be "CD Bay".

9. Patrick Tape, 6-foot-10, 232 pounds, PF, senior, Columbia
Tape redshirted this past season. A highly efficient offensive player, Tape averaged 11.3 points and 5.9 rebounds in 2018-19 while shooting 66.7% from the field. He has visited USC, Maryland and Syracuse.

Tape redshirted this past season. A highly efficient offensive player, Tape averaged 11.3 points and 5.9 rebounds in 2018-19 while shooting 66.7% from the field. He has visited USC, Maryland and Syracuse.

Providence is becoming Transfer U.

To add a little more to this:
-He said there's something similar to his program from Columbia at Syracuse, though he said it wasn't a perfect fit but it was good enough

Today, SU's Maxwell School sent word to alums that it was just voted by US News as the #1 grad school for Public Affairs. Congrats to the school! I am proud to have taken courses with Maxwell professors. Hopefully Patrick Tape is paying attention and there is a program here that suits him...

1584637509221.png

As a basketball player, he also wants to win games at a high level. With or without Seth Towns, there are still ways the team can measurably improve, beyond landing him.

Is it weird to pine for the 9th ranked guy on the list when we’re losing 6 and 11? Strange times! :)

Last edited:
Is it weird to pine for the 9th ranked guy on the list when we’re losing 5 and 11? Strange times! :)
To be fair, it's two different lists. Not sure how they would rank if they overlapped. We're also pining for #1 on the grad transfer list.

I know Carey has been a bit polarizing around here, but I'm not sure why he's ranked so highly on that list, other than being a Top-50 recruit out of HS. Other than the UConn game, unfortunately, I don't think he ever really provided much of anything on the court other than turnovers. Echoes of Kaleb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom