Class of 2020 - Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
of course it is.
Really a no lose situation. Position of need, good chance of instant impact, assume he's smart enough to pick up the zone, if he tanks we're no worse off and he'll be a good practice player, and it won't hurt us with recruits in 2021. Hopefully be able to matriculate for the summer.

And nobody left in 2020 class is going to be better than Edwards or JBA. Unless a 20 year old Rony Seikaly falls out of a tree.

Hard not to love this kid’s game. Great touch around the basket. Decent handle, and athleticism. Some bulk to man the middle on D. I think adding him would put us a lot closer to being a complete team. Let’s make it happen. Beat Duke, and give the kid no option but to leave Orange!

Lets take maybe the best shooter in the ACC, and put him under the boards.
Lets find one thing that works really, really well, and break it

The 2 and the 3 are the same position on offense. They’re both wings.

Carey for sure. I’d bet we’re more likely to lose Marek/Braswell than we are Goodine

**Obligatory qualifier -- I'm not predicting / suggesting that Goodine will transfer.

But it isn't easy to envision him looking around, seeing that Girard / Buddy are set in stone for the next two years, and that he wouldn't get a chance to start until he's a senior, and deciding to set off in search of greener pasture.

I’m just asking this is it really smart to take this guy for one year?

What's the downside?

At minimum - improved depth, better practice competition, five more fouls to use at the 5, an experienced guy with low post scoring capabilities, etc.

JB only has a few years left. He wants/needs to win now and is going to do anything possible to get the most talent on the floor as possible surrounding his kid.

He’s the leading scorer in the ACC and when it comes to the NBA, the longer you stay in college, the more your draft stock drops.. if he wants to get drafted, after this year would likely be his best chance, so i think saying yes would be an educated assumption rather than not knowing anything.

This makes sense for the most part, but he's also not projected to get drafted even now. He's currently #99 on ESPN's top 100. It wouldn't be unprecedented for him to leave despite having basically no chance of getting drafted (at least as of now) as evidenced by last year, but his draft stock basically can't get any lower than it is right now.

**Obligatory qualifier -- I'm not predicting / suggesting that Goodine will transfer.

But it isn't easy to envision him looking around, seeing that Girard / Buddy are set in stone for the next two years, and that he wouldn't get a chance to start until he's a senior, and deciding to set off in search of greener pasture.

I agree with this premise, but hope it does not happen. It would be great to get back to having three guards who could all be starters. I would love to see us get back to not playing our guards 40 minutes a game. It is nuts to think of how spoiled we were earlier in the decade. I think Goodine has the talent to be that third guard. This would be especially important if Buddy or Joe are having an off shooting night.

This makes sense for the most part, but he's also not projected to get drafted even now. He's currently #99 on ESPN's top 100. It wouldn't be unprecedented for him to leave despite having basically no chance of getting drafted (at least as of now) as evidenced by last year, but his draft stock basically can't get any lower than it is right now.
He’s graduating this year. He’s leaving. If the NBA doesn’t work out, he’ll make good money overseas.

He’s graduating this year. He’s leaving. If the NBA doesn’t work out, he’ll make good money overseas.
Or maybe he wants to come back to enjoy college for another year, live close to home for another year, try to win a conference title and a natty, be ACC player of the year, and leave a Cuse legend?

Yes, but he should probably wait and see what Carey and Washington decide to do first, don't ya think?

Yes, but he should probably wait and see what Carey and Washington decide to do first, don't ya think?

Doesn't matter what I, you, or anybody else thinks. Goodine was a fairly highly rated recruit -- I'm sure he wants to play. If starting as quickly as possible is important to him, then he'll have an uphill battle here. Whatever he decides will be totally up to him -- maybe he likes it here and thinks he can carve out PT, or maybe he'll see the path to PT as not being favorable. Impossible to know what evaluative criteria will be more important to him from afar.

Regarding Patrick’s highlights: a lot of Arinze Onuaku to his game, with a little more bounce, and end to end speed. Even if he splits time with Bourama, allowing Marek to stay at the forward spot, making it less likely we deal with game changing foul trouble, that’s a no brainer take in my opinion.

Last edited:
Regarding Patrick’s highlights: a lot of Arinze Onuaku to his game, with a little more bounce, and end to end speed. Even if he split time with Bourama, allowing Marek to stay at the forward spot, making it less likely we deal with game changing foul trouble, that’s a no brained take in my opinion.
Hey - the last time we had a center from Columbia on the team, he helped us win a national championship.

2020-01-31_101530.jpg

This kid reminds me of a more traditional version of a PF before the stretch 4 craze. He clearly can hit a jumper or 3 but is tough around the bucket and a strong finisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom