PAY THAT MAN HIS MONEY!!! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

PAY THAT MAN HIS MONEY!!!

I don’t recall saying let this man go. I said when he is bowl eligible, then trigger the extension. I get everone is jazed but you don’t pay him before whatever measures the AD and university have, have been met or are close. It’s just bad business for a private university that cannot absord bad coaching contracts. But if he hits his targets for wins and other measures then it is different.

I don’t recall saying let this man go. I said when he is bowl eligible, then trigger the extension. I get everone is jazed but you don’t pay him before whatever measures the AD and university have, have been met or are close. It’s just bad business for a private university that cannot absord bad coaching contracts. But if he hits his targets for wins and other measures then it is different.
Seriously. Cant you tell that Dino is perfect for Syracuse?

Tell me the downside in giving Dino an extension right now. Like, name one.

I'm listening.

We might get a great coach to stay and resurrect the team to greatness.

uh, wait, what was the question again?

Seriously. Cant you tell that Dino is perfect for Syracuse?
Do you choose to not read my words cuz you are on a high from the win? I get it, I really do. Bask in the win man...enjoy. We should all be pleased with the outcome today, it was a good win. We can talk business concepts another day.

Who on earth do you think we're getting that is a better long-term option than Dino? Some of the responses in this thread legitimately confound me. We used to be a destination school decades ago, not anymore. Dino has said that he would like for this to be his last stop. Let's make that happen.

Time to push all of the chips into the middle and have fun with this guy. He is our best chance at having "the one".

Who on earth do you think we're getting that is a better long-term option than Dino? Some of the responses in this thread legitimately confound me. We used to be a destination school decades ago, not anymore. Dino has said that he would like for this to be his last stop. Let's make that happen.

Time to push all of the chips into the middle and have fun with this guy. He is our best chance at having "the one".
Rocco I am not saying that we don’t pay the man and I am not even remotely saying there is a better fit. All I am saying is lets get 6 wins..let that be the trigger in my opinion. I am sure the AD has other goals but at a minimum Babers has to get you bowl eligible for an extension. I don’t think that falls into the realm of unreasonable.

Rocco I am not saying that we don’t pay the man and I am not even remotely saying there is a better fit. All I am saying is lets get 6 wins..let that be the trigger in my opinion. I am sure the AD has other goals but at a minimum Babers has to get you bowl eligible for an extension. I don’t think that falls into the realm of unreasonable.

The longer this team is playing at a high level, the more other schools start paying attention. Dino is already on everyone's map. He has been. If we were 6-0 or 6-1, it might be too late for him to entertain an extension. Just saying, the big boys will be calling his agent at that point with endless amounts of money.

CF69, I think many are concerned that if you wait for that 6 wins/bowl eligibility to lock him up, he may use that trigger to coach a bigger program. For a team with Syracuse’s size and financial situation, you have to recognize how good he is now and lock him up before other teams start throwing money at him.

Do you choose to not read my words cuz you are on a high from the win? I get it, I really do. Bask in the win man...enjoy. We should all be pleased with the outcome today, it was a good win. We can talk business concepts another day.[/QUO
With all due respect im confident that im capable of discussing business concepts with you.

The longer this team is playing at a high level, the more other schools start paying attention. Dino is already on everyone's map. He has been. If we were 6-0 or 6-1, it might be too late for him to entertain an extension. Just saying, the big boys will be calling his agent at that point with endless amounts of money.
Agree but if that really intrests him he wouldn’t sign the extension anyway...my guess is the AD has a good feel here and probably shared with Babers and his agent what it would take for an extension. Remember I believe the Chancellor would have to sign off on an extension. It could be a challenge with a sub 500 record but if coach gets 6 wins and bowl eligible he then has more support to make the case for the extension.

I never said you couldn’t KCSU...again just read my words. When you say “Seriously can’t you tell he his perfect for Syracuse?” That just reads like an emotional driven logic. I totally get it. I respect it. All I am saying is he just started off year 3 really well. Recruiting is up. The staff seems to be doing well. If he gets Cuse bowl eligible, give him the extension and money for his coaches. I am not saying others are better, I am not saying he shouldn’t get an extension and I am not saying I don’t like him. I am saying give the AD some ammo when he gets in front of the Chancellor. All good though. Lets enjoy the dub. Peace.

Would Dino accept an extension? Of course he would take more money but if the added years to his contact (plus added buyout $) limits his options in the event we win 8-10 games...why would he immediately accept?

I'm just gonna be the person to slow this thread down a little:

Cuse hasn't done anything yet. They got a win against a name program, but maybe a bad team

They are 3-0, but they have to play the rest of September, October AND November

Is Dungey okay? If he's absent, will it affect the team down the stretch?

Babers has gotten this program to reach its pinnacle between games 7 and 8 the last 2 years. Then flame out

I love Babers. I'm just sayin
This is all fair.

Like I said if Dino isn't the answer at Syracuse then I don't know what the question is. He checks everything off for the program. I would open the check book and offer him whatever he wants. Don't care. Its time to make the proper commitment to the football program. Dino can be the face of the football team on and off the field. Great role model for our young men. Just everything you want in a football coach.

Why? What’s the point?

It's NOT about paying Dino. It's about giving him the resources to compete and expanding his football budget overall. SU needs to do that otherwise whether it's this year or next or whenever, yes he will be gone.

SU can pay Dino more $$ easily, it's about opening the vault to give him the resources to win and paying for that.

Why? What’s the point?
Fair question DW. My opinion only. First you have to give the AD a measure that he can defend when he goes to leadership to sanction the increase in pay for both Dino and coaches. To me he does not have that yet but if Dino gets bowl eligible he can provide that figure and frame a narrative that Dino is moving things in the right direction and the wins are viable, measures. Second if you just looked at wins overall, that does not tell a compelling story yet.(Though this year is off to a good start). While I agree that you cannot just measure by wins, it has to be a part of the formula. Lastly while there is absolutely some risk, I don’t think it is a good precedent to extend a coach just starting season 3 with no bowl games, no eligibility for bowls or sustained seasons of wins. At least if he wins 6 this year, it is reasonable for both AD, coach and agent to talk longer term. Note: if we were a public institution, had huge doners and could afford a potential high risk deal, my perspective might change. Syracuse is private, does not have big doners(comparatively) for athletics and I think are less able to go big on a deal and absorb the mistake if it goes south. Please note I am not saying it would, just making a risk statement is all. I love what Dino is doing and I hope he hangs around for a long time. Cheers!

It's NOT about paying Dino. It's about giving him the resources to compete and expanding his football budget overall. SU needs to do that otherwise whether it's this year or next or whenever, yes he will be gone.

SU can pay Dino more $$ easily, it's about opening the vault to give him the resources to win and paying for that.

Yep and without that he’s not staying and he’s not getting that. I’m on the record as saying Dino is on the first train out of here. Extension or not this isn’t his final destination. It’s just not the way things work anymore.

I do agree that you try and extend and wrap him up as Syracuse isn’t doing better than Dino but I still think he leaves and I think he leaves as soon as he can. I think coaches over estimate the package that is syracuse football when they come here and quickly become disenchanted with many things

Sorry if posted, just so many great threads and great vibes - a lot to read and loving (did a quick search too, if on here I tried and if posting link is wrong sorry)

Dude

I mean...it’s incredible. He probably gets 2-3 recruits a year based on this. Makes me want to be the water boy.
Dino Babers keeps making amazing postgame speeches

Would Dino accept an extension? Of course he would take more money but if the added years to his contact (plus added buyout $) limits his options in the event we win 8-10 games...why would he immediately accept?

You obviously extend him to infinity because he is the guy who you want leading the team but nothing will prevent him from leaving w his team of assistants if someone offers 3x. A private university will not compete against a big boy who throw multiples of cash at this group (and it seems like a package deal every time).

As i’ve Said 100x, only Dino knows in his heart if this is home or not. If he’s angling for a dream job or dream conference, any bump isn’t gonna work to keep him, it’ll just get us a bigger premier league like transfer fee.

School needs to keep some degree of perspective with extending beyond their means and without a major donor(s) kicking in cash. We aren’t OK State.

My prediction is we’ll know a lot by mid Oct when the agent whispers start and if his name is prominently involved (assuming we are 1 loss and getting some national buzz)

They took care of A LOT this offseason. A LOT.

Hopefully, his new agent, who only makes his first penny on his first deal for him, is out at bay.

True, agent is already out there looking for that deal I am sure. I just think there will be some program that offers $ that’s too good for him and his assistants to turn down and too much for Syracuse to compete with. Hoping that a head football coach who has paid his dues for 30 years, sacrificed by moving his kids all over etc won’t take a huge payday because he likes Syracuse is just crazy to me. Crazy.

In addition, Dino’s kids are grown at this point nothing preventing him from picking up and moving again. It’s actually easier. Also lives in the most heavily taxed state in the US. He finally can cash in after all the crap he has dealt with.

And yes extend and offer best you can now but also get that buyout clause as many have stated. That gets you a dedent replacement

Sorry if posted, just so many great threads and great vibes - a lot to read and loving (did a quick search too, if on here I tried and if posting link is wrong sorry)

Dude

I mean...it’s incredible. He probably gets 2-3 recruits a year based on this. Makes me want to be the water boy.
Dino Babers keeps making amazing postgame speeches

Each one of those makes me want to run through a wall.

The thing working in SU's favor here is looking around the college football landscape I don't see a lot of big jobs being open right now after this year in the Power 5 conferences.

Big 12 I can't find one unless Bill Snyder at Kansas St who is 78 years old decides to retire but he just signed a 5 year extension last month. Even if he did retire I am sure Snyder will hand-pick his replacement and they will keep it in-house, so scratch them off. Then their is Kansas and I'm not sure leaving Syracuse for Kansas is a step up right now unless the $$$ is just absurd money that Dino can't turn down.

Big 10 I can't find a job that is open worth leaving here for unless Maryland is somehow an attractive job which I don't see it as one with their mess. But Under Armour money is real so I guess that is possible.

SEC schools have some weird thing where they seem to only really want to hire other SEC coaches or assistants from other SEC schools (not always the case I know so don't give me examples). Plus I don't see what SEC job will be open (unless someone bolts after the year)

Pac 12...again I don't see where the openings are at as a lot of these schools have new coaches or coaches who are safe. Utah if they had a down year maybe? I don't know, their head coach has been there forever and maybe they are tired of him if he has a down year. But his contract runs through 2020 so they probably don't want to buy him out. Again this is a long-shot I know but what PAC 12 job will be open, I really can't find one.

Long story short unless a big name like Jim Harbaugh leaves Michigan to jump to the NFL and starts a chain reaction of coaches musical chairs, I don't see where the "BIG" job is this offseason for Dino to go to. Unless Maryland breaks the bank with Under Armour to get a hot coach and a total fresh start, that is the only school I would be worried about as of today. But as I said earlier, if SU doesn't give him big bucks FOOTBALL BUDGET WISE, and improve in that area, it's just a matter of time until he leaves. Might not be after this year, but it will happen shortly after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom