PAY THAT MAN HIS MONEY!!! | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

PAY THAT MAN HIS MONEY!!!

I think now is a good time. He clearly has things moving in a positive direction, he plays fun football and gives a hell of a speech. Even if he doesn't get over 7 wins in the next couple years, the program needs continuity. SU is not a school that can afford to shop for a new coach every 3 years because we aren't winning conference championships.

The thing working in SU's favor here is looking around the college football landscape I don't see a lot of big jobs being open right now after this year in the Power 5 conferences.

Big 12 I can't find one unless Bill Snyder at Kansas St who is 78 years old decides to retire but he just signed a 5 year extension last month. Even if he did retire I am sure Snyder will hand-pick his replacement and they will keep it in-house, so scratch them off. Then their is Kansas and I'm not sure leaving Syracuse for Kansas is a step up right now unless the $$$ is just absurd money that Dino can't turn down.

Big 10 I can't find a job that is open worth leaving here for unless Maryland is somehow an attractive job which I don't see it as one with their mess. But Under Armour money is real so I guess that is possible.

SEC schools have some weird thing where they seem to only really want to hire other SEC coaches or assistants from other SEC schools (not always the case I know so don't give me examples). Plus I don't see what SEC job will be open (unless someone bolts after the year)

Pac 12...again I don't see where the openings are at as a lot of these schools have new coaches or coaches who are safe. Utah if they had a down year maybe? I don't know, their head coach has been there forever and maybe they are tired of him if he has a down year. But his contract runs through 2020 so they probably don't want to buy him out. Again this is a long-shot I know but what PAC 12 job will be open, I really can't find one.

Long story short unless a big name like Jim Harbaugh leaves Michigan to jump to the NFL and starts a chain reaction of coaches musical chairs, I don't see where the "BIG" job is this offseason for Dino to go to. Unless Maryland breaks the bank with Under Armour to get a hot coach and a total fresh start, that is the only school I would be worried about as of today. But as I said earlier, if SU doesn't give him big bucks FOOTBALL BUDGET WISE, and improve in that area, it's just a matter of time until he leaves. Might not be after this year, but it will happen shortly after.

There’s always a waterfall you didn’t expect. David Shaw leaves Stanford for NFL would be an interesting one for example. Saban hangs it up, Harbrough like you said,etc. These things always happen.

I could see OhioSt even opening up if Urban is fed up and heads to the Cowboys

I think now is a good time. He clearly has things moving in a positive direction, he plays fun football and gives a hell of a speech. Even if he doesn't get over 7 wins in the next couple years, the program needs continuity. SU is not a school that can afford to shop for a new coach every 3 years because we aren't winning conference championships.

To be honest many of our peer schools navigate it decently. BC has had many coaches over past 20 years and never felt our nadir. Same with Pitt

There’s always a waterfall you didn’t expect. David Shaw leaves Stanford for NFL would be an interesting one for example. Saban hangs it up, Harbrough like you said,etc. These things always happen.

I could see OhioSt even opening up if Urban is fed up and heads to the Cowboys

Yeah I agree. USC continues to tank and some booster writes a check etc etc..I don’t think you will see Dino sign an extension without a commitment from the university regarding dome renovations and facilities upgrades.. ( south campus apartments etc)

The thing working in SU's favor here is looking around the college football landscape I don't see a lot of big jobs being open right now after this year in the Power 5 conferences.

Big 12 I can't find one unless Bill Snyder at Kansas St who is 78 years old decides to retire but he just signed a 5 year extension last month. Even if he did retire I am sure Snyder will hand-pick his replacement and they will keep it in-house, so scratch them off. Then their is Kansas and I'm not sure leaving Syracuse for Kansas is a step up right now unless the $$$ is just absurd money that Dino can't turn down.

Big 10 I can't find a job that is open worth leaving here for unless Maryland is somehow an attractive job which I don't see it as one with their mess. But Under Armour money is real so I guess that is possible.

SEC schools have some weird thing where they seem to only really want to hire other SEC coaches or assistants from other SEC schools (not always the case I know so don't give me examples). Plus I don't see what SEC job will be open (unless someone bolts after the year)

Pac 12...again I don't see where the openings are at as a lot of these schools have new coaches or coaches who are safe. Utah if they had a down year maybe? I don't know, their head coach has been there forever and maybe they are tired of him if he has a down year. But his contract runs through 2020 so they probably don't want to buy him out. Again this is a long-shot I know but what PAC 12 job will be open, I really can't find one.

Long story short unless a big name like Jim Harbaugh leaves Michigan to jump to the NFL and starts a chain reaction of coaches musical chairs, I don't see where the "BIG" job is this offseason for Dino to go to. Unless Maryland breaks the bank with Under Armour to get a hot coach and a total fresh start, that is the only school I would be worried about as of today. But as I said earlier, if SU doesn't give him big bucks FOOTBALL BUDGET WISE, and improve in that area, it's just a matter of time until he leaves. Might not be after this year, but it will happen shortly after.
Good post. We lucked out last year. If he had gone 6-6 he was gone as there were a slew of jobs that would have been very attractive to him.

Yeah I agree. USC continues to tank and some booster writes a check etc etc..I don’t think you will see Dino sign an extension without a commitment from the university regarding dome renovations and facilities upgrades.. ( south campus apartments etc)

IthacaBarrel, you nailed this a couple of years ago when Babers was first hired when you asserted that if a guy with a proven track record of success like him couldn't turn our program around, nobody would be able to.

We're seeing evidence in year 3 of just how good of a coach / staff we have. Their system works. I just hope we're able to keep Babers around for AT LEAST a few more years, to continue the program transformation. Would hate to see progress stall if he were to bail with the job unfinished, a la Marrone.

Who knows what has been said between JW and Babers? What their goals are and the next stage? Can SU pay Clemson money to Babers and his staff? Does the BOT see this as being advantageous? We can say this or that feel this way or that but it's up to the decision makers and hopefully they see that this coaching staff is worth it along with Dino thinking SU and the area are worth the stay.

To me the biggest questions are, does Babers want to stay here and if so, will SU pony up for him and his staff? Will the crowd only "show" up for big games and not support them for the whole 6 or 7 games played at home? Babers constantly talks about the loud house and having a full Dome...how many times does he HAVE to say it before he finally says " I'm sick of trying to recruit to a 70% or less full dome."? "I'll go where fans will show up and be paid what I deserve as well." Again, y'all better hope he really enjoys the area and all the wonderful things Central NY and has to offer and when the $ starts being offered by those whom can print money like they have a machine, don't be surprised part of the reason he left was due to the Dome not being 90% full each home game.

Who knows what has been said between JW and Babers? What their goals are and the next stage? Can SU pay Clemson money to Babers and his staff? Does the BOT see this as being advantageous? We can say this or that feel this way or that but it's up to the decision makers and hopefully they see that this coaching staff is worth it along with Dino thinking SU and the area are worth the stay.

To me the biggest questions are, does Babers want to stay here and if so, will SU pony up for him and his staff? Will the crowd only "show" up for big games and not support them for the whole 6 or 7 games played at home? Babers constantly talks about the loud house and having a full Dome...how many times does he HAVE to say it before he finally says " I'm sick of trying to recruit to a 70% or less full dome."? "I'll go where fans will show up and be paid what I deserve as well." Again, y'all better hope he really enjoys the area and all the wonderful things Central NY and has to offer and when the $ starts being offered by those whom can print money like they have a machine, don't be surprised part of the reason he left was due to the Dome not being 90% full each home game.

Those are very important questions.

Highlights the need to get some damn fans to the games.

They took care of A LOT this offseason. A LOT.

Hopefully, his new agent, who only makes his first penny on his first deal for him, is out at bay.

Like I said last week, don't assume that the school hasn't addressed a lot of this. And he has a sweet deal on work responsibilities. All he has to do is coach. The agent thing is a worry.

I think he's here for a while, he has the ingredients on offense the next couple of years to be epic.

True, agent is already out there looking for that deal I am sure. I just think there will be some program that offers $ that’s too good for him and his assistants to turn down and too much for Syracuse to compete with. Hoping that a head football coach who has paid his dues for 30 years, sacrificed by moving his kids all over etc won’t take a huge payday because he likes Syracuse is just crazy to me. Crazy.

In addition, Dino’s kids are grown at this point nothing preventing him from picking up and moving again. It’s actually easier. Also lives in the most heavily taxed state in the US. He finally can cash in after all the crap he has dealt with.

And yes extend and offer best you can now but also get that buyout clause as many have stated. That gets you a dedent replacement

Why the defeatist attitude? Why can't we keep him? Why can't we make it worth his while? Who knows what he wants with his life, he already has plenty of money to live very comfortably and help out his family well into the future and when he gets a raise from Syracuse, he'll be even more comfortable.

He has a redshirt freshman QB that is his hand-picked choice to work in this offense and he has Amie who also has a shot to be great. Along with a bunch of young talent who have NFL potential.

Not saying what you are implying won't happen because I have no idea what the future holds. I just feel like Babers is a great fit for what we have going for us and if the fans can just figure out a way to pull in 40,000+ each game, there's no reason for him to go anywhere else.

Like I said last week, don't assume that the school hasn't addressed a lot of this. And he has a sweet deal on work responsibilities. All he has to do is coach. The agent thing is a worry.

I think he's here for a while, he has the ingredients on offense the next couple of years to be epic.

Agreed. The agent is biggest concern right now.

IthacaBarrel, you nailed this a couple of years ago when Babers was first hired when you asserted that if a guy with a proven track record of success like him couldn't turn our program around, nobody would be able to.

We're seeing evidence in year 3 of just how good of a coach / staff we have. Their system works. I just hope we're able to keep Babers around for AT LEAST a few more years, to continue the program transformation. Would hate to see progress stall if he were to bail with the job unfinished, a la Marrone.

I agree and I think we go all in sooner rather than later to try and keep him. Just don’t think it will ever be enough. Hope I’m wrong, so few coaches stay at a lower level BCS program when offered from the big boys.

U understand no stadium in COLLEGE is 90% full right now. We aren’t alone.

That would be a straw man argument vs real reason of taking more money.

Like I said he wants to b here or not. Extending now before one bowl eligible season to me is essentially paying someone for unfinished work. Let it play out and see what happens. We won’t stop his intentions no matter

U understand no stadium in COLLEGE is 90% full right now. We aren’t alone.

That would be a straw man argument vs real reason of taking more money.

Like I said he wants to b here or not. Extending now before one bowl eligible season to me is essentially paying someone for unfinished work. Let it play out and see what happens. We won’t stop his intentions no matter

Speaking of strawman...no stadium is 90% full?

True, agent is already out there looking for that deal I am sure. I just think there will be some program that offers $ that’s too good for him and his assistants to turn down and too much for Syracuse to compete with. Hoping that a head football coach who has paid his dues for 30 years, sacrificed by moving his kids all over etc won’t take a huge payday because he likes Syracuse is just crazy to me. Crazy.

In addition, Dino’s kids are grown at this point nothing preventing him from picking up and moving again. It’s actually easier. Also lives in the most heavily taxed state in the US. He finally can cash in after all the crap he has dealt with.

And yes extend and offer best you can now but also get that buyout clause as many have stated. That gets you a dedent replacement

There’s already pressure at FSU to fire their coach. After 3 games.

You’re a loss away from the hot seat at those stupid football factory’s. And those moron fanbases have pull. See the Tennessee hissyfit that stopped the Schiano hiring.

Meanwhile at Syracuse, you’re one good win away from them wanting you to be their coach for life. He can make good money here until he’s in his 70’s.

There’s already pressure at FSU to fire their coach. After 3 games.

You’re a loss away from the hot seat at those stupid football factory’s. And those moron fanbases have pull. See the Tennessee hissyfit that stopped the Schiano hiring.

Meanwhile at Syracuse, you’re one good win away from them wanting you to be their coach for life. He can make good money here until he’s in his 70’s.

We represent a lot of the same things, except a smaller moron fan base and great money is out there.

We represent a lot of the same things, except a smaller moron fan base and great money is out there.

Eh, not really. Not like that. Greg Robinson lasted 4 years here.

Dino has already made it here after a few big W’s. He’s all set. Job is his forever basically.

Stadiums are all down attendance wise. It’s not unique to Syracuse

I understand that. People keep saying and writing that. You want to help SU recruit and keep Babers? Show up at the games. It's only a 50K stadium, 44K should be a reasonable consistent amount to get. Doesn't that help SU make more money in order to pay Babers to compete with other schools?

Stadiums are all down attendance wise. It’s not unique to Syracuse

There are plenty who do just fine in attendance. Sure, there’s an issue amongst universities but don’t act like everyone is struggling or “90% full”

Babers won't move for money. He'll move to coach at a school where recruiting gives you a shot at a National Championship.

I understand that. People keep saying and writing that. You want to help SU recruit and keep Babers? Show up at the games. It's only a 50K stadium, 44K should be a reasonable consistent amount to get. Doesn't that help SU make more money in order to pay Babers to compete with other schools?

Alumni Stadium is literally never full minus ND game and it’s necer a criteria for coaches there. I just don’t get this narrative for Syracuse only. Addazio isn’t whispering he’s leaving bc it isn’t full.

People show up for winners. If he wins they will show up more. How many who knows. Hoops is the standard to me. Top 10 program and they show. Coach has done his part.

Is it not possible that Dino, recognizing that the team will absolutely turn the corner, hired an agent to renegotiate his contract instead of for the purpose of changing jobs? Hiring a professional would seem to be the smart move, and he is a smart man. It would be incredibly disappointing to me to have him leave and until someone tells (factually) me he is looking to move on, I prefer to think he is doing due diligence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom