PAY THAT MAN HIS MONEY!!! | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

PAY THAT MAN HIS MONEY!!!

Alumni Stadium is literally never full minus ND game and it’s necer a criteria for coaches there. I just don’t get this narrative for Syracuse only. Addazio isn’t whispering he’s leaving bc it isn’t full.

People show up for winners. If he wins they will show up more. How many who knows. Hoops is the standard to me. Top 10 program and they show. Coach has done his part.

I never said it was SU only. I simply, at least I thought I did, wrote that it helps the team, school and coach to show up and at 90% or so full that would cover all 3. Babers knows what recruits are saying to him as to why they are not interested and I'd bet one of the top 3 are attendance. PSU...why do you think they get players over SU, a better coach? I have no idea what Addazio is thinking but we do know that BC has lost coaches to peer schools quite often in the past.

There are plenty who do just fine in attendance. Sure, there’s an issue amongst universities but don’t act like everyone is struggling or “90% full”
Ding ding ding

Is it not possible that Dino, recognizing that the team will absolutely turn the corner, hired an agent to renegotiate his contract instead of for the purpose of changing jobs? Hiring a professional would seem to be the smart move, and he is a smart man.

Dino changed agents last year.

Dino changed agents last year.

That makes no difference to me. He was obviously trying to improve his representation. Agents do the same basic thing but some are much better at it.

Fair question DW. My opinion only. First you have to give the AD a measure that he can defend when he goes to leadership to sanction the increase in pay for both Dino and coaches. To me he does not have that yet but if Dino gets bowl eligible he can provide that figure and frame a narrative that Dino is moving things in the right direction and the wins are viable, measures. Second if you just looked at wins overall, that does not tell a compelling story yet.(Though this year is off to a good start). While I agree that you cannot just measure by wins, it has to be a part of the formula. Lastly while there is absolutely some risk, I don’t think it is a good precedent to extend a coach just starting season 3 with no bowl games, no eligibility for bowls or sustained seasons of wins. At least if he wins 6 this year, it is reasonable for both AD, coach and agent to talk longer term. Note: if we were a public institution, had huge doners and could afford a potential high risk deal, my perspective might change. Syracuse is private, does not have big doners(comparatively) for athletics and I think are less able to go big on a deal and absorb the mistake if it goes south. Please note I am not saying it would, just making a risk statement is all. I love what Dino is doing and I hope he hangs around for a long time. Cheers!

I think we’ve gotta be a little less “conventional” and extremely proactive here. Hopefully the admin gets it. Bowl games are inevitable. Lock him in the best we can as early as possible IMO.

That makes no difference to me. He was obviously trying to improve his representation. Agents do the same basic thing but some are much better at it.
Different scenarios, but when Hop did this a few years ago, he was gone shortly after. Probably truth on both sides, but agents hunt money relentlessly. That means they talk to everybody and seek out interested parties. SU needs to protect itself ASAP here. Try and extend him with a big buyout. At least make it more difficult for a big school to come in and take him. Win/win for both sides. Personally I can see why we should be worried. Look at teams like Mississippi, Arkansas, etc., who will throw crazy money around.

Here's a twist - would you be willing to take a ticket cost increase if it meant helping to keep Dino? Something to think about as we're already having trouble getting people in the Dome but maybe as the product continues to improve...

Give Dino’s assistants a nice bump and give him whatever he wants within reason.
This guy is our best chance to remain competitive for the next decade.
It's going to take a lot more than that to keep him.

The thing working in SU's favor here is looking around the college football landscape I don't see a lot of big jobs being open right now after this year in the Power 5 conferences.

Big 12 I can't find one unless Bill Snyder at Kansas St who is 78 years old decides to retire but he just signed a 5 year extension last month. Even if he did retire I am sure Snyder will hand-pick his replacement and they will keep it in-house, so scratch them off. Then their is Kansas and I'm not sure leaving Syracuse for Kansas is a step up right now unless the $$$ is just absurd money that Dino can't turn down.

Big 10 I can't find a job that is open worth leaving here for unless Maryland is somehow an attractive job which I don't see it as one with their mess. But Under Armour money is real so I guess that is possible.

SEC schools have some weird thing where they seem to only really want to hire other SEC coaches or assistants from other SEC schools (not always the case I know so don't give me examples). Plus I don't see what SEC job will be open (unless someone bolts after the year)

Pac 12...again I don't see where the openings are at as a lot of these schools have new coaches or coaches who are safe. Utah if they had a down year maybe? I don't know, their head coach has been there forever and maybe they are tired of him if he has a down year. But his contract runs through 2020 so they probably don't want to buy him out. Again this is a long-shot I know but what PAC 12 job will be open, I really can't find one.

Long story short unless a big name like Jim Harbaugh leaves Michigan to jump to the NFL and starts a chain reaction of coaches musical chairs, I don't see where the "BIG" job is this offseason for Dino to go to. Unless Maryland breaks the bank with Under Armour to get a hot coach and a total fresh start, that is the only school I would be worried about as of today. But as I said earlier, if SU doesn't give him big bucks FOOTBALL BUDGET WISE, and improve in that area, it's just a matter of time until he leaves. Might not be after this year, but it will happen shortly after.
Wittingham at Utah isn't going anywhere.

Plus, remember that Les Miles is lurking.

I think a couple of things are true:

Dino has a new agent that has the incentive to find a new deal.

Dino feels that there's a long-term fit with the situation here at Syracuse.

The Clemson win is big because it proved to Dino that he can win at the highest level right here at Syracuse. When you combine that with the Dome, which I think is a sneaky big deal to Dino (there isn't a stadium in college football better suited to how he wants to play), I interpret the leaves as the new agent being here to lock up an even better deal for Dino with us.

Edited to add: Part of the due diligence to getting a better deal involves the agent checking out Dino's market worth. We should expect it, but don't necessarily need to fear it.

Last edited:
He’s just starting to get his talent that he needs to win here. I think he’s real close to getting us to the top of the conference. Easier to win here in the ACC than the SEC or Big.

He’s just starting to get his talent that he needs to win here. I think he’s real close to getting us to the top of the conference. Easier to win here in the ACC than the SEC or Big.

FSU could be down for a couple years. We’ve already beaten a great Clemson team at home once. There’s nobody in the other division that’s been THAT good. There’s a potential path to make a run right here if we can really get things going in the next couple years. Sounds crazy to say given our lack of success so far in the league, but things can change.

It's going to take a lot more than that to keep him.
There aren’t going to be many factory jobs up after this year.
Dino would only leave for a consistent top 25 power down on its luck.
He isn’t going to leave for Illinois or Texas Tech.
UCLA/Tennessee type jobs.
We are lucky a little bit last year we cooled off. Hell even a job like Arizona would have appealed to him possibly.

There aren’t going to be those type of jobs this offseason. If we step up the offer he can keep him with just money for him and his staff.

I haven't read this whole thread, but want to chime in and also point out that in his presser after the game, Babers talked about how great the Syracuse academics are, and why that is important when players consider where to go to school. He has totally bought into our university, not just our football program. He represents SU in a great way. I think he is working on building the football culture back up also. He is positive, never gets down on the fans that do not show up, just lets them know what they are missing. He is getting good recruits, he is making believers out of players and fans. He speaks well in front of the media. He is a keeper in my opinion. I do agree that Wildhack will do what needs to be done to the best of his ability. We will never have the money to pay of the big programs, but he will squeeze (no real pun intended) the most he can get for this coach.

Here's a twist - would you be willing to take a ticket cost increase if it meant helping to keep Dino? Something to think about as we're already having trouble getting people in the Dome but maybe as the product continues to improve...
Yes, absolutely.

Conversely if Dino goes to another school because we won’t pay a reasonable top 25 (not top 5) sum of $4m plus a roughly equivilent amount for his assistant’s (and commensurate reasonable facilities) then I will cancel all 4 of my preferred seasons tickets which I believe are the most expensive in the house.

We drive 4 hours both way to see games (first two so far this year) and if the program is not investing I guarantee my wife will veto me. “They won’t invest, we won’t invest”. I heard so many good things about this guy the past couple years from you, and team seems to be better. Why did he leave? I promise if she sniffs out (she is an auditor) that its money, we will be done.

Dino knows very well what he currently has at Syracuse and the potential to be a solid program again. We ought to win 6 games in our sleep. We used to do that coupled with the occasional special seasons. Many fans forget that prior to Dabo, Clemson was no better of a program than we were (until our post Pasqualoni years). Our programs were very similar and then Dabo comes to town, and now they are who they are. With the dome, niche offense, and his coaching, no reason why we can't compete with them regularly once again. That all said, as others have pointed out, he could be very happy here and have no desire to leave, but then unexpectedly gets a great offer and he feels differently. Just human nature (just ask Marrone). I sure hope that doesn't happen anytime soon though.

Syracuse extends Dino out to 2023, Saban retires from Bama, Swinney leaves for Bama, Dino becomes Clemson's head coach. It is written.

d2xb6x.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom