Petro To UNC | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

I love how an internet poster like Jeremy is in a place say who SU can and can’t hire it’s truly comical. He hated Desko hates Gait We should all just remain silent and not put out any ideas until Jeremy and his plethora of lacrosse knowledge makes a final decision.

So many things wrong with post its hard to know where to start. First of I never hated Desko, I was/am a big Desko fan and I didn't call for him to be let go until about 2019 if my memory is correct, when it became clear the program was a shell of itself.

Secondly I don't hate Gait and have never called for Gait to be fired. If I recall I was a pretty big fan of the hiring but with some reservations and I have been critical of some issues that I have seen with the program since he took over.

Third my opinion is obviously irrelevant to who the program ultimately hires but when I see what I feel would be a bad decision I am going to call it out. I think there are several way more qualified candidates who I would like to see hired ie Stevens, Unterstein, Caputo etc.

It's a syracuse lax message board, if your looking for everyone to be in unison and agree with whatever the program does I suggest checking out some D3 schools.

I like March he is a better recruiter with kids today than Rogers Desko or Donahue. With that said he is not half the coach that any of those 3 were outside of recruiting YET. There is plenty of time for him to become better but as far player development and in game adjustments he is NOT there YET!
that was quick.

what about scarmo, no love for him?!?!?

So many things wrong with post its hard to know where to start. First of I never hated Desko, I was/am a big Desko fan and I didn't call for him to be let go until about 2019 if my memory is correct, when it became clear the program was a shell of itself.

Secondly I don't hate Gait and have never called for Gait to be fired. If I recall I was a pretty big fan of the hiring but with some reservations and I have been critical of some issues that I have seen with the program since he took over.

Third my opinion is obviously irrelevant to who the program ultimately hires but when I see what I feel would be a bad decision I am going to call it out. I think there are several way more qualified candidates who I would like to see hired ie Stevens, Unterstein, Caputo etc.

It's a syracuse lax message board, if you’re looking for everyone to be in unison and agree with whatever the program does I suggest checking out some D
I am the last person on earth looking for unison I would be upset if Stevens Unterstein or Caputo were hired no need for me to go into why because 1 we are polar opposites on what we want for coaches and 2 opinions don’t matter Gait will hire who ever he wants and someone will be happy and someone will not such is life

I think Jeremy, like you and most of us here, just want the best for the program. We all have our own ideas about what is needed and we are all frustrated by the misery of the last decade and the difference between what SU's lacrosse program used to represent and what it has become. Jeremy is an insightful observer of the lacrosse landscape and we have all benefited from his careful analysis of SU's program. He might be wrong about this but his arguments deserve consideration.

Thanks, appreciate the words. Laxaholic is confused in thinking that the potential hire does't meet my expectations so I need to call it out. My point is that it doesn't meet what this program needs right now much less my personal expectations. When Tiffany lost his OC he didn't bring in his buddy who was the woman's lax coach at Catawba who has never coached D1 mens lax. There's plenty of qualified candidates out there but McCabe in my mind is someone you turn to if you top 3 or 4 guys turn down teh offer, not one of the first you offer. He just doesn't have the background for what SU needs right which is a guy who can hit the ground running recruiting and more importantly can get this defense where it needs to be. McCabe could probably do that but he's gonna need a few seasons to get acclimated, we don't have that kind of time. I am sorry if that hurts some peoples feelings but were here to win, period.

that was quick.

what about scarmo, no love for him?!?
Why are you linking him to me I have said who I would pick if it was an alum in Regy Thorpe or Galloway. Scarmo would be a better hire then Petro was pretty sure he has no aspirations of being a full time coach but I could be wrong

I am the last person on earth looking for unison I would be upset if Stevens Unterstein or Caputo were hired no need for me to go into why because 1 we are polar opposites on what we want for coaches and 2 opinions don’t matter Gait will hire who ever he wants and someone will be happy and someone will not such is life

You would be mad if they hired Stevens or Caputo? Good lord man

I think Wildhack is being watched a lot closer this is Lacrosse not Football or Basketball

Wildhack is a big lax guy and is aware of how many SU lax alumni are out there. Wildhack was the one who made the call to move on from Desko. He's gonna give Gait plenty of time but he's playing closer attention then 99% of most D1 AD's for lax.

You would be mad if they hired Stevens or Caputo? Good lord ma
Why Rogers defenses were better then Caputo’s and Duke has way higher ranked D recruits then Syracuse since about 2011 IMHO Duke has way underachieved Not sure what people see in Stevens I’d go after Coon or Ray way before him

Wildhack is a big lax guy and is aware of how many SU lax alumni are out there. Wildhack was the one who made the call to move on from Desko. He's gonna give Gait plenty of time but he's playing closer attention then 99% of most D1 AD's for lax.
I’m pretty sure Gait will be here after Wildhack is gone

Why are you linking him to me I have said who I would pick if it was an alum in Regy Thorpe or Galloway. Scarmo would be a better hire then Petro was pretty sure he has no aspirations of being a full time coach but I could be wrong
because i was replying to your post that mentioned just 3 guys (of the 4) that coached for a very long time together.

this is too tough to do.

Honestly, I don't care who the next DC is as long as they teach strong on ball defense, a "slow to go" slide package(both Petro's and Roger's defenses would slide unnecessarily and create offense), off ball defense with no ball watching, and just a fundamentally sound defensive approach. This isn't rocket science, Petro's schemes were too complicated and created confusion and hesitation. Another factor is that I feel the defensive side has been poorly recruited until recently. You need athletes to play defense.

That's simply not true, and if it's the case then those people shouldn't be involved in the team.

I'll expand the statement a bit; the only people in win now mode, aside from the seniors and graduate transfers, are the posters on this board. Guess how much impact the posters on the board have on the success of the team? Zero, myself included. If any of the posters complaining about potential hires or potential candidates think they can do better, perhaps they should update their resume and submit it to Gait and Wildhack.

As Joey said when he committed to Syracuse: "I loved . . . that lacrosse matters so much."

Why Rogers defenses were better then Caputo’s and Duke has way higher ranked D recruits then Syracuse since about 2011 IMHO Duke has way underachieved Not sure what people see in Stevens I’d go after Coon or Ray way before him

Coon from RIT? That would be an interesting hire, guy clearly can coach, not sure he wants to be a DC though versus a HC.

Not sure which Ray your referring to so I can't comment.

Rogers teams had some good defenses but the last few years they were an absolute mess and constantly had issues defending the big/little game even during the early 2010's when the team was pretty good.

Perhaps Wildhack is not the man for the job if he believes this is a quick fix.

Certainly not a quick fix but he's not going to be satisfied with a decade of mediocre results either. Gait's easily getting 4 or 5 years and his job is no where near in jeopardy but if SU doesn't make the tourney next year he's gonna be in a must win spot for year 4.

Certainly not a quick fix but he's not going to be satisfied with a decade of mediocre results either. Gait's easily getting 4 or 5 years and his job is no where near in jeopardy but if SU doesn't make the tourney next year he's gonna be in a must win spot for year 4.
And personally I think that's more than fair with the transfer portal so prevalent now.

And personally I think that's more than fair with the transfer portal so prevalent now.
How much better in the portal do you want Gait to do and your judging him on a season that hasn’t even taken place yet absolutely unreal LOL

How much better in the portal do you want Gait to do and your judging him on a season that hasn’t even taken place yet absolutely unreal LOL

You might want to reread his post

No my reading comprehension is just fine you already have written Gary’s demise and fall ball for season 3 hasn’t even happened.

I'll expand the statement a bit; the only people in win now mode, aside from the seniors and graduate transfers, are the posters on this board. Guess how much impact the posters on the board have on the success of the team? Zero, myself included. If any of the posters complaining about potential hires or potential candidates think they can do better, perhaps they should update their resume and submit it to Gait and Wildhack.
There would almost be a sliver of truth to this in the 2022 season with our first season under a new coach in two decades and the knowledge we were starting from a low point with lots of losses to graduation, Gait getting his feet wet, etc. Even then I would contest it.

But in a coaches third year? For Syracuse freaking lacrosse? After our worst stretch in decades? If you're attitude is we will get there when we get there then this is not the job for you. Us missing the playoffs two years in a row has not happened since the 1970s. Every single player from the freshman on the bench to the senior starter is 10000% in win now mode at all times. Every coach the exact same way. Maybe I am still not understanding your point?

No my reading comprehension is just fine you already have written Gary’s demise and fall ball for season 3 hasn’t even happened.

Dude your reading comprehension needs a reset. We were talking hypotheticals, your seeing stuff that isn't there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom