Petro To UNC | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

You seem very confident in your so called “hypothetical”lol Petro is gone he was a horrible choice to begin with short of hiring Jerry Delorenzo I couldn’t think of a worse fit for SU so my forecast for this team just got much better without having a clue who the DC is gonna be

You seem very confident in your so called “hypothetical”lol Petro is gone he was a horrible choice to begin with short of hiring Jerry Delorenzo I couldn’t think of a worse fit for SU so my forecast for this team just got much better without having a clue who the DC is gonna be

Ugh I will break this down once because clearly your not getting it.

I posted that if Gait "doesn't" win in year 3 and "doesn't" make the tournament in year 3 he will be in win now mode in year 4. At no point did I say he won't win or that the team will not make the tournament. Do you see the difference? It's the same as saying "if Dino Babers doesn't go bowling again this year, he will probably be fired".

Msorange posted "And personally I think that's more than fair with the transfer portal so prevalent now". Meaning he agrees that the team needs to be making the tournament by year 4 and that the timeline is fair because of the expansion of the transfer portal. You for some reason thought he said gait was struggling in the portal and that he wouldn't win next year. No idea where you got any of that from.

Last edited:
There would almost be a sliver of truth to this in the 2022 season with our first season under a new coach in two decades and the knowledge we were starting from a low point with lots of losses to graduation, Gait getting his feet wet, etc. Even then I would contest it.

But in a coaches third year? For Syracuse freaking lacrosse? After our worst stretch in decades? If you're attitude is we will get there when we get there then this is not the job for you. Us missing the playoffs two years in a row has not happened since the 1970s. Every single player from the freshman on the bench to the senior starter is 10000% in win now mode at all times. Every coach the exact same way. Maybe I am still not understanding your point?

It’s 2023. The landscape has changed. It’s delusional to believe that the amount of sustained success that Syracuse had will be replicated by any school in this day and age with the transfer portal and the wealth of talent now being spread out amongst many teams versus so few.

The goal should be to compete and get better everyday and focus on the next practice or game - the results will come. The aim should be to be competitive everyday and get better. Focusing on getting to the playoffs, final four weekend or even the national championship puts the regular season out of focus - I do believe we need to be successful in the regular season in order to make the playoffs.

It’s 2023. The landscape has changed. It’s delusional to believe that the amount of sustained success that Syracuse had will be replicated by any school in this day and age with the transfer portal and the wealth of talent now being spread out amongst many teams versus so few.

The goal should be to compete and get better everyday and focus on the next practice or game - the results will come. The aim should be to be competitive everyday and get better. Focusing on getting to the playoffs, final four weekend or even the national championship puts the regular season out of focus - I do believe we need to be successful in the regular season in order to make the playoffs.

I don’t think anyone here is banging on doors demanding that Syracuse make the next 22 final fours. I think for the most part people are being pretty realistic. When the season ended I thought with the talent they had, they could potentially make the quarterfinals. I don’t think that’s a crazy thing to ask for/expect.

When you say besides the grad transfers, no one is in “win now mode”, that’s like not seeing the forest for the trees. There will be at least seven grad transfers that will be seeing significant playing time next season. That’s a lot. A good amount of them probably had other very good options. I can’t imagine it will sit well with those guys (especially on defense) if they are told this is a work in progress.

Set average/mediocre goals and you’ll only reach that high. Syracuse deserves better.

I don’t think anyone here is banging on doors demanding that Syracuse make the next 22 final fours. I think for the most part people are being pretty realistic. When the season ended I thought with the talent they had, they could potentially make the quarterfinals. I don’t think that’s a crazy thing to ask for/expect.

When you say besides the grad transfers, no one is in “win now mode”, that’s like not seeing the forest for the trees. There will be at least seven grad transfers that will be seeing significant playing time next season. That’s a lot. A good amount of them probably had other very good options. I can’t imagine it will sit well with those guys (especially on defense) if they are told this is a work in progress.

Set average/mediocre goals and you’ll only reach that high. Syracuse deserves better.
Can anyone tell me what Pat McCabe is doing now and for the last 10 years or so? I'm not that familiar with him other than his exploits as a player.

I just find it very hard to believe if they didn’t join forces when they were both coaching in the women’s game especially when Regy left to coach the. NLL why would they decide to now. Unless McCabe didn’t want to uproot his family on LI and his situation has changed now? I have no insider information but I’m just not believing it to be true

McCabe was a heck of a player and I'm sure a great coach. I get ppl are nervous he's been in the women's game for so long but that doesn't mean he can do a great job at SU. I always heard great things about him as players loved him. No matter who they choose were not gonna know if it was the right choice until we see the defense out there playing so might as well just be exited that a new voice might raise this D to the level it needs to be. So much talent on offense now so the D just needs to be solid especially if the new Fogo works out. Idk how some say next season isn't win now mode being Will Mark is in his final season.

So many things wrong with post its hard to know where to start. First of I never hated Desko, I was/am a big Desko fan and I didn't call for him to be let go until about 2019 if my memory is correct, when it became clear the program was a shell of itself.

Secondly I don't hate Gait and have never called for Gait to be fired. If I recall I was a pretty big fan of the hiring but with some reservations and I have been critical of some issues that I have seen with the program since he took over.

Third my opinion is obviously irrelevant to who the program ultimately hires but when I see what I feel would be a bad decision I am going to call it out. I think there are several way more qualified candidates who I would like to see hired ie Stevens, Unterstein, Caputo etc.

It's a syracuse lax message board, if your looking for everyone to be in unison and agree with whatever the program does I suggest checking out some D3 schools.
Jeremy, I am struggling to understand what you use to decide to recommend these guys. Stevens was a terrific player, but I have not seen enough of his defenses to make judgements about his coaching competence. I don't think you make impulsive decisions, in fact you always seem measured in your choices. What about Unterstein and Caputo convinces you about their capabilities?

McCabe was a heck of a player and I'm sure a great coach. I get ppl are nervous he's been in the women's game for so long but that doesn't mean he can do a great job at SU. I always heard great things about him as players loved him. No matter who they choose were not gonna know if it was the right choice until we see the defense out there playing so might as well just be exited that a new voice might raise this D to the level it needs to be. So much talent on offense now so the D just needs to be solid especially if the new Fogo works out. Idk how some say next season isn't win now mode being Will Mark is in his final season.
This will be an absolute mess if this happens

Jeremy, I am struggling to understand what you use to decide to recommend these guys. Stevens was a terrific player, but I have not seen enough of his defenses to make judgements about his coaching competence. I don't think you make impulsive decisions, in fact you always seem measured in your choices. What about Unterstein and Caputo convinces you about their capabilities?

I don't think those are the only 3 who I would consider good hires, a guy like Wray, Bucci even Crane I think would be pretty good replacements. Admittedly I am not as high on Crane and Caputo but I still think both would be good hires.

For me I am looking for someone with experiencing coaching Defense at the D1 level (power program preferred but not required) and someone with a good to excellent recruiting background. A guy like Stevens gives you the first two plus the fact that he's a young and up and coming coach I think is a positive and could give you a defensive version of March. Now again there's a risk as Stevens doesn't have Caputo level experience or track record but he's done a pretty good job and seems like a guy who is still just scratching the surface.

Unterstein is a younger guy (believe hes mid 30s or so) who has close ot a decade coaching Defenses at the D1 level has recruiting experience in both LI/NE and down south and is very familiar with the ACC. His defense this past year was much improved and he feels like the fall guy for Breschi to keep his job. Again there's some risk there but again he's a younger guy who seems like he'd be a warrior on the recruiting trail and a guy who like Stevens feels like he could hit the ground running and not miss a beat.

I am not as high on Caputo though clearly he has the highest recruiting background out of all 3. Obviously experience out the wazoo and knows the ACC as well as probably anyone. Defenses at Duke have been up and down but he's not a slide heavy guy so it would be a refreshing change from the slide heavy packages we have struggled with for a long time.

To me SU is a win now team that with the loss of Petro lost a very high end recruiter and someone who played a big role in the day to day operation of the program. Petro's defenses struggled mightily here (better this past year though for sure but still not great) but with a win now team you need an experienced guy who can come in and hit the ground running not only in recruiting starting 9/1 but with a defense and overall team that's primed to get back to the tourney and hopefully make some sort of a run. If it was a complete rebuild or teardown someone like McCabe would make more sense but SU needs someone who is ready from Day 1 and a guy like McCabe who has never coached at the D1 level and hasn't coached the mens game period in 22 years, has to much of a learning curve to bring in at this time.

It is a work in progress, however and I’m sure even the graduate transfers know that. The expectations of this board aren’t realistic. Making the tournament is no easy fete these days and the expectation that we should be there every year is unrealistic given both the overall climate and the lack of an AQ in the ACC.

Setting big goals is a wonderful notion, but anyone can set a goal. Not everyone is willing to do the work. Thus the goal should be to improve everyday. The work should be the focus, not the end result. Doing the work will lead you to the end result.

I don't think those are the only 3 who I would consider good hires, a guy like Wray, Bucci even Crane I think would be pretty good replacements. Admittedly I am not as high on Crane and Caputo but I still think both would be good hires.

For me I am looking for someone with experiencing coaching Defense at the D1 level (power program preferred but not required) and someone with a good to excellent recruiting background. A guy like Stevens gives you the first two plus the fact that he's a young and up and coming coach I think is a positive and could give you a defensive version of March. Now again there's a risk as Stevens doesn't have Caputo level experience or track record but he's done a pretty good job and seems like a guy who is still just scratching the surface.

Unterstein is a younger guy (believe hes mid 30s or so) who has close ot a decade coaching Defenses at the D1 level has recruiting experience in both LI/NE and down south and is very familiar with the ACC. His defense this past year was much improved and he feels like the fall guy for Breschi to keep his job. Again there's some risk there but again he's a younger guy who seems like he'd be a warrior on the recruiting trail and a guy who like Stevens feels like he could hit the ground running and not miss a beat.

I am not as high on Caputo though clearly he has the highest recruiting background out of all 3. Obviously experience out the wazoo and knows the ACC as well as probably anyone. Defenses at Duke have been up and down but he's not a slide heavy guy so it would be a refreshing change from the slide heavy packages we have struggled with for a long time.

To me SU is a win now team that with the loss of Petro lost a very high end recruiter and someone who played a big role in the day to day operation of the program. Petro's defenses struggled mightily here (better this past year though for sure but still not great) but with a win now team you need an experienced guy who can come in and hit the ground running not only in recruiting starting 9/1 but with a defense and overall team that's primed to get back to the tourney and hopefully make some sort of a run. If it was a complete rebuild or teardown someone like McCabe would make more sense but SU needs someone who is ready from Day 1 and a guy like McCabe who has never coached at the D1 level and hasn't coached the mens game period in 22 years, has to much of a learning curve to bring in at this time.
many thanks for the clarification. You make a lot sense. I could accept any of the three.

McCabe Trial balloon popped. Back to an open search. Back to defcon 1…or is it 5? I always screw that up.

Lol DEFCON 1 is the worst. Don’t feel bad I had to Google it to make sure.

I wonder what happened but honestly I think it’s for the best. There are a ton of good and capable options out there, but it’s for sure worrying that they are back at the starting line.

Lol DEFCON 1 is the worst. Don’t feel bad I had to Google it to make sure.

I wonder what happened but honestly I think it’s for the best. There are a ton of good and capable options out there, but it’s for sure worrying that they are back at the starting line.
Makes you wonder how many coaches have shown interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom