Petro To UNC | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

Ugh. I think in one of my initial posts, I wondered who exactly Gait knew that he could reach out to for this new position. So much of this stuff is based on relationships. Just look at the recent story of Cassese to UVA - Tiffany and he used to work together at Stony Brook, Tiffany called him for the position before Kirwan was even offered the Dartmouth job. Tillman hired another Bernhardt when Benson left, a former player and brother of his defensive coordinator.

It happens all the time. It's why we all scan coaching ranks to see who played at which school, penciling them into a future head coaching job at their alma mater (just look at any thread debating the Duke coaching future).

So who has Gait made relationships with since he started coaching men? Seems like running mates from his glory days if it is indeed McCabe (Petro and he obviously go way back). I just worry he's trying to create an "event" out of this hire and make it splashy. Reunion with another defensive great! Syracuse legends together again! I will hold out hope that he knows what he's doing with McCabe (does he know anything about the current players on the team?) but mostly hold out hope that Jake is mistaken.

I think you guys might be missing it with Pat. He and Gary overlapped at SU. They know and like one another. Pat has been involved in lacrosse forever and has a lot of connections, especially on the island. He understands the game, seems to relate well to young players, and I think he would do quite well as a recruiter for SU.

That could all be correct but SU isn't in a position to take a chance that most of the positive attributes are accurate especially when the HC is someone who came over form the women's game with zero men's D1 coaching experience and clearly had a learning curve.

Also not to be that guy but the fact that they two of them overlapped and they like each other really shouldn't be a factor. This isn't a new D3 program or a club program where Gait can hire his friends and no one really cares. Not saying that's happening here but the optics on the surface aren't great. I don't doubt McCabe has connections or had them at one point but he hasn't coached mens players in over 20 years and obviously hasn't played in 30+ years. He's likely going to need time to re-cultivate those relationships and connections which could take years, time SU doesn't have right now.

anyone have an idea what kind of defense mccabe's going to run?

Maybe it'll be McCabe and a new youngish 3rd asst who specializes in recruiting? That's a little more palatable.

Maybe it'll be McCabe and a new youngish 3rd asst who specializes in recruiting? That's a little more palatable.
Just gotta hope it is not McCabe at all and that it is just a rumor. Way more worried about the Xs and Os than how he would do with other things like recruiting.

Last time we hired a younger coordinator with experience he flipped Hiltz, kept the gas on the recruiting, and helped make the offense one of the better ones in D1. Please for the love of god can we just keep it simple and try a Pat March type of DC. I am done with gambles.

I love how an internet poster like Jeremy is in a place say who SU can and can’t hire it’s truly comical. He hated Desko hates Gait We should all just remain silent and not put out any ideas until Jeremy and his plethora of lacrosse knowledge makes a final decision.

I love how an internet poster like Jeremy is in a place say who SU can and can’t hire it’s truly comical. He hated Desko hates Gait We should all just remain silent and not put out any ideas until Jeremy and his plethora of lacrosse knowledge makes a final decision.
Don’t be an asz. You can clearly see he is far from alone in thinking this would be a bad hire. And he has been more fair to Desko and Gait than several others here.

We all have opinions I just don’t care who likes or doesn’t like mine I really question people on here if there fans or just critics with zero tolerance for anything that doesn’t meet their expectations

I think Jeremy, like you and most of us here, just want the best for the program. We all have our own ideas about what is needed and we are all frustrated by the misery of the last decade and the difference between what SU's lacrosse program used to represent and what it has become. Jeremy is an insightful observer of the lacrosse landscape and we have all benefited from his careful analysis of SU's program. He might be wrong about this but his arguments deserve consideration.

I truly don’t understand the negativity toward Regy Thorpe the Petro hire is a prime example of how an outsider doesn’t fit in Syracuse. Regy has a long history of coaching with Gary with a lot of success he has an extensive box and field background he will be coaching the Team USA indoor team which means Spallina will most likely be playing for him. I can’t think of any player on the mens or women’s side who didn’t love playing for him.
Pat March hasn’t fit?

McCabe will be a fine hire. Aside from graduate transfers, the only people in win now mode are the posters on this board.

Not really the offense got better with Gait do you think all these box players are here for him or Gary? Look at the 2021 season his offense was loaded and a total bust

We all have opinions I just don’t care who likes or doesn’t like mine I really question people on here if there fans or just critics with zero tolerance for anything that doesn’t meet their expectations

Can you make an argument for why you think McCabe should be hired as defensive coordinator? I think Jeremey as made a compelling argument for why he shouldn't be, I haven't really heard one for why he should be.

I don’t think this hire is true but I’d support him doubt it would be worse then Petro. I still think if Gary hires within the Cuse bloodline it would be Thorpe but my opinion doesn’t count for much.

Not really the offense got better with Gait do you think all these box players are here for him or Gary? Look at the 2021 season his offense was loaded and a total bust
The box players are likely here mostly because of Gait but Hiltz, Spallina, Leo, & Rhoa were brought in by March. Also, didn’t March recruit English to Princeton?

Can you make an argument for why you think McCabe should be hired as defensive coordinator? I think Jeremey as made a compelling argument for why he shouldn't be, I haven't really heard one for why he should be.
I never advocated for him with that said McCabe would be far more invested in Syracuse than Petro ever was. I was
100 percent against the hire the last 2 years are a total waste. McCabe would have a learning curve but there isn’t a coach who wouldn’t.

The box players are likely here mostly because of Gait but Hiltz, Spallina, Leo, & Rhoa were brought in by March. Also, didn’t March recruit English to Princeton?
Brought in by Desko Spallina especially Hiltz is the only player you can tie directly to March

It's certainly possible but there's a big difference between the women's lax program and the Syracuse mens team. Nothing against McCabe but its hard to see how he would be qualified to come in and be the D-coordinator on a win now team at this level. He has zero history of coaching at the D1 level period and hasn't recruited college kids in 20+ years and that wasn't at the D1 level. He's been coaching at the D2 womens level for the last decade. If McCabe wasn't an SU alum we'd be laughing over the absurdity of him even being mentioned.
When reason prevails, you guys sound wise to me about McCabe. But Jesus, what a joy it was to watch him at SU. He was virtuosic on the field. He glided like a valkyrie, stealing, passing, defending, scoring, he was a true athlete's athlete. I rate him up there in the ranks of defenders with Petro. But, remember, that was thirty years ago. I am not qualified to comment on his coaching ability. I bow to those advising patience.

Ugh. I think in one of my initial posts, I wondered who exactly Gait knew that he could reach out to for this new position. So much of this stuff is based on relationships. Just look at the recent story of Cassese to UVA - Tiffany and he used to work together at Stony Brook, Tiffany called him for the position before Kirwan was even offered the Dartmouth job. Tillman hired another Bernhardt when Benson left, a former player and brother of his defensive coordinator.

It happens all the time. It's why we all scan coaching ranks to see who played at which school, penciling them into a future head coaching job at their alma mater (just look at any thread debating the Duke coaching future).

So who has Gait made relationships with since he started coaching men? Seems like running mates from his glory days if it is indeed McCabe (Petro and he obviously go way back). I just worry he's trying to create an "event" out of this hire and make it splashy. Reunion with another defensive great! Syracuse legends together again! I will hold out hope that he knows what he's doing with McCabe (does he know anything about the current players on the team?) but mostly hold out hope that Jake is mistaken.
Agree with all of this except the part about it being an "event" or splash type of hire. This is not anywhere close to a guy like Petro who was a legendary coach for decades and was just famously let go from his long time school and getting his first opportunity to coach again, along with being an all time legend player. The only factor that is like that is that he is an alum. Aside from that he is not a guy who everyone has eyes on right now like Petro was. I would strongly disagree with Gaits decision but I dont think hiring this guy would be the same exciting short term morale boosting sort of thing that hiring Petro was. I doubt that is where Gait's head is at.

I like March he is a better recruiter with kids today than Rogers Desko or Donahue. With that said he is not half the coach that any of those 3 were outside of recruiting YET. There is plenty of time for him to become better but as far player development and in game adjustments he is NOT there YET!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom