Petro To UNC | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

How to evaluate DCs? Caputo has a long history with a very fine top level team. Danowski would not have kept him around if he did not value his work. I agree he does not like sliding. Neither do I. Over the long term, I believe that's a solid approach. He leaves responsibility with his ssdms, trusts them to maintain position between goal and offensive player, and he has almost always trained exceptional longs. I would love to see statistics like first half - second half deltas to determine whether he adjusts over the course of a game. I wonder what he would do with lesser and smaller athletes. I think Petro's approach was to structure a protective scheme because of some pretty obvious holes the past two years. A sliding team always takes risks that many times leave open areas. The complexity can lead to cluster fs. Hops went years at the end of Petro's reign with much too complex defensive structures. His teams suffered for it. Same at SU. I'd love to see Caputo's influence on the Orange.
All of the mentions can coach. Question which one of them will connect the best with the kids

This is not difficult and the hope is Gait doesn’t make it that. You have Caputo and Stevens two coaches albeit different but have coached in final 4 and championship game. The hire needs experience anyone other than those two is a failure

This is not difficult and the hope is Gait doesn’t make it that. You have Caputo and Stevens two coaches albeit different but have coached in final 4 and championship game. The hire needs experience anyone other than those two is a failure
What if neither of them ultimately don’t want the job?

You need the players for any coach to work Lelan Rogers had amazing defenses until he stopped getting the best recruits and yes alot of thats on him. He transformed what was an atrocious defense in 07 to winning back to back championships and maintained a high level for about a decade before there was a decline in recruiting. Petro set the defense back even more had he not had Will Mark and Gait hadn’t dummied down the schedule 2023 could of been as bad as 2022. They need to hire someone who will be invested in the program not someone just waiting on the first head coaching job to pop up and jumps ship it’s always a risk but it should be calculated with the hire

I still think that a couple of the other names mentioned are at least worth reaching out to/interviewing (Odierna, Wray). But if this is a two horse race between Caputo and Stevens, I still have my reservations on Caputo, for a few reasons. One, Syracuse usually fairs well when playing Duke. Even when our recruiting stunk, we were still able to grind out that win. Also in 100% agreement with everything Doctah and Powell said in their posts earlier today regarding Caputo.

Two, I don't think he has any connections to Upstate. So I think he, like Petro, will be on the fastest plane outta here the first chance he gets. I don't know if thats what we need right now. As a matter of fact, I know that's not what we need right now. The next DC hire needs to be about stability-- someone that is going to want to be here and stick around for awhile. Stevens has at least lived in Upstate coming up on a decade; so the transition to 'Cuse wouldn't be all that difficult.

Three, some have made the argument that Caputo has the Team 91 connection, which is nice, but does it really matter all that much when we do too now via the Spallina's? The Spallina's have already helped us land top talent each cycle from Team 91 since Joey's arrival. Hell, we even landed Mulè even though his brother is a Duke grad and I just know Danowski wanted him. The devil works hard, but the Spallina's work harder lmao
rolling-on-the-floor-laughing_1f923.png
Only positive from this point (that I can think of) would be it takes away one more recruiter recruiting Team 91 for Duke. And even then, I still think Duke will still land some top Team 91 players because the parents will want them to go to Duke for the education.

I still think that a couple of the other names mentioned are at least worth reaching out to/interviewing (Odierna, Wray). But if this is a two horse race between Caputo and Stevens, I still have my reservations on Caputo, for a few reasons. One, Syracuse usually fairs well when playing Duke. Even when our recruiting stunk, we were still able to grind out that win. Also in 100% agreement with everything Doctah and Powell said in their posts earlier today regarding Caputo.

Two, I don't think he has any connections to Upstate. So I think he, like Petro, will be on the fastest plane outta here the first chance he gets. I don't know if thats what we need right now. As a matter of fact, I know that's not what we need right now. The next DC hire needs to be about stability-- someone that is going to want to be here and stick around for awhile. Stevens has at least lived in Upstate coming up on a decade; so the transition to 'Cuse wouldn't be all that difficult.

Three, some have made the argument that Caputo has the Team 91 connection, which is nice, but does it really matter all that much when we do too now via the Spallina's? The Spallina's have already helped us land top talent each cycle from Team 91 since Joey's arrival. Hell, we even landed Mulè even though his brother is a Duke grad and I just know Danowski wanted him. The devil works hard, but the Spallina's work harder lmao View attachment 229455 Only positive from this point (that I can think of) would be it takes away one more recruiter recruiting Team 91 for Duke. And even then, I still think Duke will still land some top Team 91 players because the parents will want them to go to Duke for the education.

I like Odierna as an option. We've been very caught up in x's and o's on this board, and it seems like hiring the guy who just had the best defensive efficiency in the country last year would alleviate a lot of those concerns. Of course I don't know what kind of defense Manhattan plays but they've been quite good at it the past few years. They held opposing offenses to under 10 goals a game for the past five years. I know there will be boost in competition, but the thinking is that he'll also have better defenders to work with as well. Also if there is still a concern regarding Gait and all the head coaching duties he has to perform, Odierna could probably help with a lot of that given he has the experience (albeit just one season as head coach).

I guess the one concern would be recruiting. Not that he can't do it, it's just that he's been focused on a different type of player as coach competing in the MAAC. I'm sure he's got a good eye for talent, it's just that so much recruiting seems based on relationships. See the fact that so many St. Anthony's kids go to Duke, so many Chaminade kids go to Notre Dame, Syracuse's new connection with Team 91 kids, Lawrenceville kids going to Hopkins. He just might not have those connections yet. Doesn't mean he can't make them but it would be something to watch for.

If I had to rank my preferences I think they'd be as follows:

1. Stevens - just don't know if he would leave Cornell for anything but a head coaching gig. Like illestcuse I like that he's been coaching upstate. He's young but still has a ton of experience. Recruiting coordinator. Seems like a safe pick, but also one with a lot of upside.
2. Odierena - a bit of a surprise but if you are looking for a coach to fix the defense, seems like he would do it. Might not want to leave a head coaching gig he's had for only one year, but SU would probably pay more and he'd have the best exposure.
3. Caputo - would still be a great choice for SU, I guess I just see the two other candidates as having more upside. Personally I think he'd bring a lot of stability given all his experience. Might not have head coaching experience but seems like a guy who could do a lot of head coaching things, if that makes sense.

I didn't include Wray since I haven't seen his name listed by Axe of Chris Jast. He'd also be a great choice.

I like Odierna as an option. We've been very caught up in x's and o's on this board, and it seems like hiring the guy who just had the best defensive efficiency in the country last year would alleviate a lot of those concerns. Of course I don't know what kind of defense Manhattan plays but they've been quite good at it the past few years. They held opposing offenses to under 10 goals a game for the past five years. I know there will be boost in competition, but the thinking is that he'll also have better defenders to work with as well. Also if there is still a concern regarding Gait and all the head coaching duties he has to perform, Odierna could probably help with a lot of that given he has the experience (albeit just one season as head coach).

I guess the one concern would be recruiting. Not that he can't do it, it's just that he's been focused on a different type of player as coach competing in the MAAC. I'm sure he's got a good eye for talent, it's just that so much recruiting seems based on relationships. See the fact that so many St. Anthony's kids go to Duke, so many Chaminade kids go to Notre Dame, Syracuse's new connection with Team 91 kids, Lawrenceville kids going to Hopkins. He just might not have those connections yet. Doesn't mean he can't make them but it would be something to watch for.

If I had to rank my preferences I think they'd be as follows:

1. Stevens - just don't know if he would leave Cornell for anything but a head coaching gig. Like illestcuse I like that he's been coaching upstate. He's young but still has a ton of experience. Recruiting coordinator. Seems like a safe pick, but also one with a lot of upside.
2. Odierena - a bit of a surprise but if you are looking for a coach to fix the defense, seems like he would do it. Might not want to leave a head coaching gig he's had for only one year, but SU would probably pay more and he'd have the best exposure.
3. Caputo - would still be a great choice for SU, I guess I just see the two other candidates as having more upside. Personally I think he'd bring a lot of stability given all his experience. Might not have head coaching experience but seems like a guy who could do a lot of head coaching things, if that makes sense.

I didn't include Wray since I haven't seen his name listed by Axe of Chris Jast. He'd also be a great choice.
Wray was mentioned by Quint in an interview with Brian Higgins who I’d say is a billion times more knowledgeable about lacrosse then axe or the waterboy. Completely agree he would be a great hire he and Gary have a relationship with the Canadian National team would like him or Jake Coon infinitely more then Caputo or Stevens

For me this is a popularity contest. I don't know enough about any of these guys to choose one. I would not even try to select on the basis of record or competence. It's all imagination and gut feeling for me. So don't pay any attention to this, but I would get a charge from watching Jake Coon who played in central New York, who turned RIT into a D111 powerhouse, who knows Canadian, upstate, native American recruiting very well, and who is young enough to attract top hs players and old enough to exert authority over and draw respect from those young kids and (I know run on) could become the next HC get the DC job. Imagine all that.

For me this is a popularity contest. I don't know enough about any of these guys to choose one. I would not even try to select on the basis of record or competence. It's all imagination and gut feeling for me. So don't pay any attention to this, but I would get a charge from watching Jake Coon who played in central New York, who turned RIT into a D111 powerhouse, who knows Canadian, upstate, native American recruiting very well, and who is young enough to attract top hs players and old enough to exert authority over and draw respect from those young kids and (I know run on) could become the next HC get the DC job. Imagine all t

I would share those exact feelings

how are Coon's defenses historically? RIT was 66th in D3 in defensive efficiency this year. thats not very good. the offense was a lot better than the defense

not sure it matters because i have not heard his name come up once. if hes in the mix, theyre doing a great job keeping it under wraps

if stevens interviewed it must have been very recent. as of two days ago he hadnt

how are Coon's defenses historically? RIT was 66th in D3 in defensive efficiency this year. thats not very good. the offense was a lot better than the defense

not sure it matters because i have not heard his name come up once. if hes in the mix, theyre doing a great job keeping it under wraps

if stevens interviewed it must have been very recent. as of two days ago he hadnt

Coon's is not in the mix it was just someone that Laxaholic noted he wanted to get the job.

Wray was mentioned by Quint in an interview with Brian Higgins who I’d say is a billion times more knowledgeable about lacrosse then axe or the waterboy. Completely agree he would be a great hire he and Gary have a relationship with the Canadian National team would like him or Jake Coon infinitely more then Caputo or Stevens

Quint I believe was speaking about Wray as someone he thought could be in the mix. While I think he would be a heck of a hire I don't believe he's actually in the mix/has any interest.

Do you know who has interviewed? It sounds like Caputo has at least talked to Syracuse though not sure what the formalness of that conversation(s) were/are. I think that is the only name that we've had confirmed by the "media" as having talked to SU.

If you don't want to give names, do you know how many coaches have interviewed? Are there names we haven't heard in the mix? Thanks.

Do you know who has interviewed? It sounds like Caputo has at least talked to Syracuse though not sure what the formalness of that conversation(s) were/are. I think that is the only name that we've had confirmed by the "media" as having talked to SU.

If you don't want to give names, do you know how many coaches have interviewed? Are there names we haven't heard in the mix? Thanks.
dont know the details of the contact with caputo, just know that there was contact of some kind. hes still out recruiting in duke gear, as is stevens for cornell

also dont know everyone they've talked to. im sure it's been more than the two or three guys i've heard about. like i said its been a secretive process ever since the twitter drama. the only thing is i was told specifically that stevens hadnt interviewed... but that was as of wednesday. i guess its possible they've since talked more but i have no idea

I’ve been told conflicting stories on Stevens. One person said he interviewed already and another said that ALL candidates will be on campus next week to interview. Go figure

Hmm, perhaps they made some sort of contact with Stevens, and one source thought that counted as an interview? I guess maybe both things could be true-ish.

Felt like we were drinking from the hose after that initial story from Axe/Chris Jast, and now the spigot has been slowed to a trickle. Understandable given the stakes.

Thanks to the insiders for any and all info!

I’ve been told conflicting stories on Stevens. One person said he interviewed already and another said that ALL candidates will be on campus next week to interview. Go figure
i would lean toward the latter based on what ive heard but also based on conventional wisdom. the first person just sounds like hearsay. the second sounds like someone who might actually have intimate knowledge...

if there are coaches on campus next week its going to be tough to keep that as quiet as they've kept it so far

i would lean toward the latter based on what ive heard but also based on conventional wisdom. the first person just sounds like hearsay. the second sounds like someone who might actually have intimate knowledge...

if there are coaches on campus next week its going to be tough to keep that as quiet as they've kept it so far
Next week makes sense since the coaches should all be in town running the camps.

Wonder A) who the two candidates are and b) of Caputo is the ACC assistsnt who pulled out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom