Petro To UNC | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

I thought this was supposed to be an extremely attractive position?? It's a little disappointing and off-putting that not many more big names are jumping at the bit to come to the winningest program. All of the names that I wanted, have pulled out. Weird. To say I'm annoyed would be an understatement.
I’m not savvy enough to know what assistants would be awesome, but some candidates “pull out” when they know they have not gotten the job to save face.

Not saying this is the case here. Just doubt everyone really did withdraw.

I thought this was supposed to be an extremely attractive position?? It's a little disappointing and off-putting that not many more big names are jumping at the bit to come to the winningest program. All of the names that I wanted, have pulled out. Weird. To say I'm annoyed would be an understatement.

Odierna would be a quality hire. A little harder to pull guys from teams that are at a similar high level. You can only offer so much. They still have to want to leave a top school where they have established themselves. I had a good feeling about Stevens so disappointed about that, but would not be sad at all about hiring Odierna. He is a young guy as well who will be hungry to prove himself.

Maac coach of the year. Best rated defense in division one last season. Ran a winning program. People are disappointed by this?
No. Just want to make it clear that i'm not disappointed by Odierna being the favourite. Just disappointed in the fact that I thought more big names would be interested in the position. And several of the candidates I wanted the job have pulled out.

AntiqueRemoteChanticleer-size_restricted.gif

Is it time?

I’m not savvy enough to know what assistants would be awesome, but some candidates “pull out” when they know they have not gotten the job to save face.

Not saying this is the case here. Just doubt everyone really did withdraw.
Could be a possibility since at least one of the two showed up for an interview here recently. They were at least somewhat interested if they agreed to an interview.

If Oderina really is the hire then I am excited about it. Don’t want to repeat talking points but he is a really good defensive coach. If our main complaint last year was our defensive coordinator didn’t actually coach defense well, I think SU just solved that problem.

I would have liked Stevens as the hire. Not going to lie. That said I kind of was worried about how long he would have been in it for. It’s impossible to predict these things but I can’t help but think he would be on the first bus out of town as soon as a head coaching job opened up. That may be true of almost any assistant but with Oderina you have someone who already is a head coach, but presumably is aiming for something higher. I would guess he only leaves for a “big job”.

I think some of this is driven by that initial list that was leaked that included a bunch of high profile names that were, in a word, ambitious. It sounds like some were legitimate (Caputo, Stevens, Crane) but some clearly were not (Wellner, Amplo). I wonder if that list didn’t come out if people would feel less let down?

I think some of this is driven by that initial list that was leaked that included a bunch of high profile names that were, in a word, ambitious. It sounds like some were legitimate (Caputo, Stevens, Crane) but some clearly were not (Wellner, Amplo). I wonder if that list didn’t come out if people would feel less let down?
Speaking more psychologically than anything, the program is barely removed from hiring two GOATs from their playing days and guys that were a part of a ton of rings. Then a sudden move happens unexpectedly late in the game, is immediately followed by Brent Axe rumors that the top candidates were the top assistants and followed by Tweets that makes it seem "everyone" is withdrawing (which I maintain is likely not the case.)

If it is the Manhattan coach, after some smoke clears, maybe people will take the angle that SU replaced a DC w/an antiquated approach whose best years are behind him with a young innovator that hustled/grinded his way up the ladder rather quickly/successfully.

Just win, baby.

To clarify my "Disappointing" post...

I'll admit I'm not familiar with Oderina. I've never watched Manhattan play and I don't know much about his background. I would imagine that applies to virtually every poster on this board save a few. The fact that he has been a head coach is positive. If he is thought of as a hungry, progressive defensive coach even better. If he is the guy I truly hope he succeeds as we all do.

Coaching the defense is one, admittedly very important, part of the job. In losing Petro we also lose a proven recruiter and program administrator. We need someone to come in and assist with those critical components. This is why Stevens and Caputo were attractive candidates. It is important to have assistant coaches who can recruit at the highest level, have those connections with high school and club coaches, etc. This is especially important for the 25 Class as the recruiting calendar is in full swing and September 1 will be here very soon. Stevens certainly fits that bill having been the recruiting coordinator for Cornell...a program that is far clear of Syracuse in the last decade in terms of results and recruiting with some disadvantages due to academic requirements. Caputo undoubtedly has recruiting connections all over in the key areas. These coaches would hit the ground running in terms of recruiting. I have no idea if Oderina is ready to do that.

The 22 Class was special. The 23/24 Classes are good, but not at that level. If we want to contend for Memorial Day (much less titles), the recruiting has to be competitive with UVA, Duke, Maryland, ND, etc. Every year.

I've believed that losing Petro could be a good thing. The next coach has to succeed in several areas to make that a reality.

LGO

I think if Odierna comes in year one and the defense takes a clear step up then the recruiting issue will solve itself. Players want to play for a coach that gets results.

If we see some serious improvement from the D next season then we will have a real shot at going far in the playoffs. Go on a run and recruits will take notice. All the connections and skill in the world would not help Petro if he was here another year and the D looked as bad as it did his first two years. Already our 2024 class is not all that impressive on the defensive end, and we had a high end D guy flip in the 2023 class. Lots of potential factors there but our D regularly giving up major goals against quality opponents has to be a part of it.

Then again Peteo was able to land all those defensive transfers for us on his way out the door. As rough as things were on D the last two years, that is quite a nice parting gift from him, despite the rather quick and disrespectful exit. He was working hard for us right until he decided to go to UNC, which is commendable. Now Odierna or whoever it is will have a lot to work with.

If the new coach really turns out to be Odierna, I can understand how some others may have pulled out. It is a high risk, high reward roll of the dice to coach at Cuse at any time let alone now. With questions about Gait's coaching abilities (fair or unfair), the pressure cooker of Cuse alumni, local media and national media etc., taking this job could derail a currently successful coach and label him a loser for the rest of his career.

As for Unterstein, his current gig with the Atlas has been ugly. The defense has simply been horrible which seems hard to understand given the talent level on the Atlas let alone the talent on every PLL team.

If the new coach really turns out to be Odierna, I can understand how some others may have pulled out. It is a high risk, high reward roll of the dice to coach at Cuse at any time let alone now. With questions about Gait's coaching abilities (fair or unfair), the pressure cooker of Cuse alumni, local media and national media etc., taking this job could derail a currently successful coach and label him a loser for the rest of his career.

As for Unterstein, his current gig with the Atlas has been ugly. The defense has simply been horrible which seems hard to understand given the talent level on the Atlas let alone the talent on every PLL team.
This.

This isn't football where an assistant can make $500k-$1M. If that doesn't work out, you'll be alright.

Lacrosse guys have to be more careful about their job moves. Fact is, coming to SU is a risky prop right now - reality is that less than .500 win % over past 3 years. If that goes on for another year or two, then you're on the market again. Most of them are not moving their families for $100K job with that level of risk.

Odierna may turn out to be great, but that's probably the type of coach - someone moving up from a lower tier program. And in all honesty, he'll probably be more likely to stay if things do stabilize under Gait.

Not sure it’s fair to look at the PLL results. They don’t practice every day or have offseason practices/scrimmages. It’s just not the same as college.

the one thing im now hearing that is a little different from the college crosse commission tweet is that caputo's interest was basically one sided all along. i dont know that he pulled out so much as he was only ever loosely involved...

the stevens news is true though. he was in, but now he's out

odierna is the heavy favorite now. if they lose him then its back to the drawing board

looking at pll results to evaluate a college coach is dumb for a variety of reasons especially when that coach's COLLEGE defense was very good recently. unterstein would be a good hire but it doesnt sound like hes part of the process

the one thing im now hearing that is a little different from the college crosse commission tweet is that caputo's interest was basically one sided all along. i dont know that he pulled out so much as he was only ever loosely involved...

odierna is the heavy favorite now. if they lose him then its back to the drawing board

looking at pll results to evaluate a college coach is dumb for a variety of reasons especially when that coach's COLLEGE defense was very good recently. unterstein would be a good hire but it doesnt sound like hes part of the process
Are you calling me dumb? :cool:

I was commenting more tongue in cheek but my point was Unterstein can't claim he has a lack of talent in the PLL.

Odierna has been head coach for one season for Manhattan after being DC for 7 years. Defensive numbers were good but against MAAC level competition. Seems to have a good reputation whatever that means.

Odierna has been head coach for one season for Manhattan after being DC for 7 years. Defensive numbers were good but against MAAC level competition. Seems to have a good reputation whatever that means.
Yes against MAAC level but also with MAAC talent on his D. That's why I never really look at the level they coach just at there coaching ability. He did well with MAAC talent against MAAC comp. If that's the case he should do well agajnst ACC comp as long as he has ACC talent to work with. I think he will with Fig back except for SSDM. Which unfortunately no matter how good ur poles are it won't matter if ur very weak at SSDM. This kid Titus is so important to how next yrs defense will be. If he's just as a good in the ACC as he was in D 3 then him and Carter will be a solid line. If he struggles some with the huge jump in level of talent he's facing then the D is in trouble. Especially if Trujillo doesn't take the next step next season because the 2nd line with Rosa is already the biggest weak link on the D. Love Rosa but he's just not fast and athletic enough to play SSDM. From what i hear speed and athletic ability should not be an issue for Titus so then he definitely should be able to adapt to the jump in comp. I do think Petro was loyal to Rosa maybe going back to his playing days with Rosa dad so maybe the new coach just plays Rosa on man down and grabs somebody who might not get much PT and asks them to switch from a pole to a short stick.

Yes against MAAC level but also with MAAC talent on his D. That's why I never really look at the level they coach just at there coaching ability. He did well with MAAC talent against MAAC comp. If that's the case he should do well agajnst ACC comp as long as he has ACC talent to work with. I think he will with Fig back except for SSDM. Which unfortunately no matter how good ur poles are it won't matter if ur very weak at SSDM. This kid Titus is so important to how next yrs defense will be. If he's just as a good in the ACC as he was in D 3 then him and Carter will be a solid line. If he struggles some with the huge jump in level of talent he's facing then the D is in trouble. Especially if Trujillo doesn't take the next step next season because the 2nd line with Rosa is already the biggest weak link on the D. Love Rosa but he's just not fast and athletic enough to play SSDM. From what i hear speed and athletic ability should not be an issue for Titus so then he definitely should be able to adapt to the jump in comp. I do think Petro was loyal to Rosa maybe going back to his playing days with Rosa dad so maybe the new coach just plays Rosa on man down and grabs somebody who might not get much PT and asks them to switch from a pole to a short stick.
Think you are spot on here. It will help that we have a guy like Stevens on the wings so Titus and Rice are not getting as much additional fatigue playing that spot. Those two our in for an intense season. If we can get Trujillo and one other guy to step up then we should be passable there. Rosa on mostly man down and wings is ideal. Still wonder if we will get a little creative with Stevens and English and try at least some two way with them. The massive depth at pole now is certainly a plus

Think you are spot on here. It will help that we have a guy like Stevens on the wings so Titus and Rice are not getting as much additional fatigue playing that spot. Those two our in for an intense season. If we can get Trujillo and one other guy to step up then we should be passable there. Rosa on mostly man down and wings is ideal. Still wonder if we will get a little creative with Stevens and English and try at least some two way with them. The massive depth at pole now is certainly a plus

FWIW, it looks like Rosa's instagram's bio just says "NYC". Makes me think he is no longer at SU but who knows for sure.

SSDM is definitely a problem area. Perhaps having a new coach in charge with a fresh perspective will create new openings for players that were perhaps being overlooked by the previous DC. I believe while at Hopkins, Petro was a guy who did not value the size of his SSDMs, and that clearly carried over to his time at SU.

The Orange have a few middies who have terrific size (Caelin Lewis, Bear White, Blake Borges, Nate Levine). Of course you need footspeed and also need to have good hips to change direction quickly, and perhaps those guys are lacking in that space. Will be very interesting to see if the new coach rolls out a very similar lineup to what Petro rolled out at the end of last season, or if it's something completely different.

FWIW, it looks like Rosa's instagram's bio just says "NYC". Makes me think he is no longer at SU but who knows for sure.
LinkedIn shows him with an internship in Stamford (probably commuting out from NYC). Not definitive if he's going back to school or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom