Petro To UNC | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

Think it is far more likely to be Caputo since his name was thrown around here as a contender.
I was thinking that too, but the tweet said “one ACC assistant pulled out of contention” which makes me think there were multiple ACC assistants contacted and at least one still in contention (Caputo). We already know Wellner declined, that’s why I said him. What other ACC assistants would be still in contention/interviewing right now? Am I just reading the tweet wrong? Lmao

I never got the narrative around Caputo. "He might want to leave because Jr. is the likely next coach." Well, is he any closer to getting a HC job if he moved to Syracuse? I doubt it.

I think if he wants a HC job, he'll have to take a step down a level.

I was thinking that too, but the tweet said “one ACC assistant pulled out of contention” which makes me think there were multiple ACC assistants contacted and at least one still in contention (Caputo). We already know Wellner declined, that’s why I said him. What other ACC assistants would be still in contention/interviewing right now? Am I just reading the tweet wrong? Lmao
Unterstein? He's probably 13 years younger than Caputo.

Unterstein? He's probably 13 years younger than Caputo.
Completely forgot about Unterstein as I haven't considered him as a viable option since the beginning. If it is him, I don't know if he is the right fit. Just a gut feeling.
man-shrugging_1f937-200d-2642-fe0f.png

Not sure haha. Think it could still be Caputo since it reads like he was at one point in contention but pulled out. Think Wellner would be more in the "declined Syracuse's inquiry when contacted" category. All will be revealed soon!

I never got the narrative around Caputo. "He might want to leave because Jr. is the likely next coach." Well, is he any closer to getting a HC job if he moved to Syracuse? I doubt it.

would YOU want to work for matt danowski?

caputo sees the writing on the wall and is exploring his options. its not just about the fastest path to being a head coach

if, hypothetically, he took the cuse job and did well there then yes i think that would have helped his HC resume if thats the goal. might be a moot point now though

Maybe he really doesn’t like Jr. Could also have been due diligence.

Following this from Chris Jast, to Brent Ax, to College Crosse, to Ty Xanders, to forum members, has my head spinning. Feels like you need a decoder ring to decipher all this.

Caputo has to be the one who pulled out from the ACC. I wonder what happened, but it is what it is. Curious if the Big 10 assistant was Crane, but it sounded like he was in the running at some point, so maybe it was Bucci? Not sure who else they would have reached out to. Sounds like someone not on the Jast/Ax list.

I know why these guys keep things vague but no other sport is this secretive when it comes to "scoops". I got the feeling that Chris was burnt out by the initial coverage so he may have moved all of his info over to the College Crosse guys. Would be kind of ironic if Xanders ended up breaking the news given the brew-ha-ha when this all went down.

Fingers crossed that Stevens is indeed one of the guys interviewing this week. I am pulling for Oderina to be the other guy but at this point it could be anyone. Not sure what others are hoping for.

Following this from Chris Jast, to Brent Ax, to College Crosse, to Ty Xanders, to forum members, has my head spinning. Feels like you need a decoder ring to decipher all this.

Caputo has to be the one who pulled out from the ACC. I wonder what happened, but it is what it is. Curious if the Big 10 assistant was Crane, but it sounded like he was in the running at some point, so maybe it was Bucci? Not sure who else they would have reached out to. Sounds like someone not on the Jast/Ax list.

I know why these guys keep things vague but no other sport is this secretive when it comes to "scoops". I got the feeling that Chris was burnt out by the initial coverage so he may have moved all of his info over to the College Crosse guys. Would be kind of ironic if Xanders ended up breaking the news given the brew-ha-ha when this all went down.

Fingers crossed that Stevens is indeed one of the guys interviewing this week. I am pulling for Oderina to be the other guy but at this point it could be anyone. Not sure what others are hoping for.

I know two things.

1. Someday we'll hire somebody. :D

2. On that day, you'll see the tweet about a minute before I do. :rolleyes:

I have been on vacation for 2 weeks. Who are we hiring?
Wasn't me, I was the Big10 assistant that declined. It was a generous offer but we couldn't agree on having my own personal Taco Bell kiosk in the Dome. I heard though that Ted Lasso was interviewing, they must like what he's doing with AFC Richmond.

This probably isn’t relative to the men’s thread but here it goes. Can’t really see Joe leaving to be an assistant in the women’s game but maybe family would win out. Initially there were rumors that he was going to take over for Gait when he moved over to the men’s team. This doesn’t seem based on anything official, just Ax spitballing.

A few posters have floated his name for the men’s vacancy but nothing in “official” reporting has listed his name there.

This probably isn’t relative to the men’s thread but here it goes. Can’t really see Joe leaving to be an assistant in the women’s game but maybe family would win out. Initially there were rumors that he was going to take over for Gait when he moved over to the men’s team. This doesn’t seem based on anything official, just Ax spitballing.

A few posters have floated his name for the men’s vacancy but nothing in “official” reporting has listed his name there.

I know Axe makes a living "just saying shlit” but this is beyond dumb. In 2022, Spallina made $290k through his employment at Stony Brook. He's positioning himself to retire with about a $150k per year pension. His program is in the top 10. LI is home. His daughter has 2 years of high school left. He's not giving any of that up to be Treanor's assistant.

Last edited:
I know Axe makes a living "just saying shlit” but this is beyond dumb. In 2022, Spallina made $290k through his employment at Stony Brook. He's positioning himself to retire with about a $150k per year pension. His program is in the top 10. LI is home. His daughter has 2 years of high school left. He's not giving any of that up to be Treanor's assistant.

A little off topic but his twitter feed is just terrible stuff. Not living there but reading it I can see why he lost whatever job he had.

I thought this was supposed to be an extremely attractive position?? It's a little disappointing and off-putting that not many more big names are jumping at the bit to come to the winningest program. All of the names that I wanted, have pulled out. Weird. To say I'm annoyed would be an understatement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom