Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

What’s crazy is - this dude may end up being the most impactful and ready to play guy in this class.

He’s got a solid, all around game, and a great motor.

Strong odds that he and Benny are the starting forwards next year.

(Assuming Cole is playing his last year - which at his age, isn’t a huge assumption)

What’s crazy is - this dude may end up being the most impactful and ready to play guy in this class.

He’s got a solid, all around game, and a great motor.

Strong odds that he and Benny are the starting forwards next year.

(Assuming Cole is playing his last year - which at his age, isn’t a huge assumption)
Yeahhhh no

I had a similar reaction. Not exactly the Jarace Walker highlight video.

To be fair, that was sophomore year, I think - 2 years ago. He only looked about 6-5 in that video to me.

Hopefully Cole plays well enough to leave after a year, I dont think he has shown that as of yet in his career.

I think, importantly, he hasn't lived up to his own expectations yet. Maybe with the Boeheim Boys gone next year, he might be the lead dog.

I partially agree with you, but also partially disagree. I think we have done a solid job recruiting the 2,3,4 positions.

I also think we have done a poor job recruting pg's and centers.

I also have an issue with the staffs developing talent.

There's schools recruiting talent below us that regularly finish ahead of us. That is on talent development.

I also think we are spending way too much time hemming and hawing over HS kids for no reason. This is the era we should be looking for transfers.

I think the biggest issue is lack of player development. It's hard to find a ready-made center as a frosh.

The PG issue is totally on them, because they keep taking 6-4 to 6-6 combo guards and figuring that they can become PGs. But they won't if you don't let them play through their mistakes. You can't pull a kid for not making a play when he's never really been a PG before, especially at a higher level.

Actually that same thing applies to the big men, too. Players don't get better if they don't play. They don't learn how to play with fouls. They don't learn about boxing out, and all the ways that people might attack the zone that we don't do in practice against each other.

I have called next years recruits OUR fab five and predict they will be on the court together at least once next year.

At least 60 times: Pre-game and halftime
ba GIF

He’s just a different skillset that we haven’t had in a long time

For sure. That 90s PF mold with a high floor and unknown ceiling. Hard to gauge these guys on their ultimate potential but that isn't the point really.

Hate to be a wet blanket, only saw the kid in person for one half of one game where his team got smoked. But in that game he was checked by a grown 6’11” man and our gut committed a multitude of JB sins, double pumping under the tin and getting blocked, bail out 3 pointers that missed…he’s toolsy for sure and cannot teach that length but there’s a ways to go.

And I really hope I’m wrong.

Hate to be a wet blanket, only saw the kid in person for one half of one game where his team got smoked. But in that game he was checked by a grown 6’11” man and our gut committed a multitude of JB sins, double pumping under the tin and getting blocked, bail out 3 pointers that missed…he’s toolsy for sure and cannot teach that length but there’s a ways to go.

And I really hope I’m wrong.
He seems to put up big numbers against weaker competition. Which is good, he should. But, some of our other recruits are playing much better competition. Even if their numbers aren't as good, they may be more ready than Brown. But, who knows? If we are lucky enough to get Mintz, then we will have 6 freshmen. I could see any of them being better or worse than we project. I think they bring an influx of athleticism that is much needed. They have the size and length that we are accustomed to. It will be fun to see how this all plays out. At least we should have a full roster, so these guys can compete and get better playing against high level players in practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom