Class of 2017 - PF Marvin Bagley to Duke | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PF Marvin Bagley to Duke

theory: it's mostly Capel, and it ain't clean. He's the one that reeled in Bagley (obv K closed in some fashion) - their handpicking of one-and-dones didn't really start until he arrived from Oklahoma - from where he was chased for running a dirty program

I understand why they get top players, but then I don't. Who wants to hang out on the Duke campus?

Many here wonder about Zona, but that makes much more sense than Duke. One and done is fine. Play in the ACC, and go pro. Coach K. I get it.

Still like our foundation better. Duke is Duke, yeah, but we will win it all with the core we are building.

Not trying to be spiteful, but I'm truly glad Tucker went to Duke. I hope he does well. I'm just happier with who we have, and the path we are on. My gut says we lucked out. Marek, HW are gonna be huge. Geno this year as well. Baze, of course. Who knows what happens if we land Tucker, and Quade. Randolph bugs me is all, but I think the stars have aligned for a 2019 Championship.
Hook me up with what you're smoking. Lol.

They will be a perfect team to zone. Duval/Bagley and Carter aren't good shooters.
So, surprise to me, an article on Bleaccher Report identifies Jordan Tucker as the Duke starter at SF because of his shooting/scoring
abilities. Personally, I would start Duvall at PG, Grayson Allen at 2G, Gary Trent or Marvin Bagley at SF, Wendell Carter at PF and Bolden and/or Vrankovic at C. That would leave Goldwire, O'Connell, Tucker, Jack White and DeLaurier as reserves. Golden, Bagley and Carter could rotate at the PF and C positions. In my eyes, the two recruits that Syracuse wanted (Tucker and O'Connell) will be reserves for Duke.

In the last 10 years, Durham has been named:
  • One of the 10 Best Places to Live in the Nation (US News & World Report)
  • #1 Place to Retire (Money Magazine)
  • America's Foodiest Small Town (Bon Appetit)
  • #3 best place for business and careers (Forbes)
  • #6 best performing metro area in the country (Milken Institute)
  • #2 America's Brainiest City (Daily Beast)
  • #4 most affordable city in America (NBC's Today Show)

Hook me up with what you're smoking. Lol.

Eh, I don't smoke. I'm just honestly curious. Some may think the campus, and area are nice. I'm not wearing my Orange shades. Honestly just curious.

Like I said, I get, but I don't. I know that doesn't make much sense. Would just love to hear from these kids why Duke is on a pedestal to many of them.

I'm not saying come to Syracuse, we have way more to offer, and Duke is garbage.

I am saying that I like our foundation better. The one and done thing works sometimes, but look at the FF this year. Nova the year before.

Not sure why I wasted my time, as I know I look like just a homer. But, really I'm just wondering what is going on down there.

In the last 10 years, Durham has been named:
  • One of the 10 Best Places to Live in the Nation (US News & World Report)
  • #1 Place to Retire (Money Magazine)
  • America's Foodiest Small Town (Bon Appetit)
  • #3 best place for business and careers (Forbes)
  • #6 best performing metro area in the country (Milken Institute)
  • #2 America's Brainiest City (Daily Beast)
  • #4 most affordable city in America (NBC's Today Show)

Now I get it. This is the stuff that brings in teenage basketball stars that stay for a year, or two.

Now I get it. This is the stuff that brings in teenage basketball stars that stay for a year, or two.

I wasn't implying these were metrics Marvin Bagley used to make his decision to go to Duke. I was just defending my town. People on this board who criticize Durham, and I see it often, haven't been here. Or not in years.

I wasn't implying these were metrics Marvin Bagley used to make his decision to go to Duke. I was just defending my town. People on this board who criticize Durham, and I see it often, haven't been here. Or not in years.

Don't bother. They're going rip all these towns. Tuscon, Charlottesville, Durham, etc., lately. All cool places.

What would bring teenage basketball stars here that Duke doesn't have other than a massive mall?

Don't bother. They're going rip all these towns. Tuscon, Charlottesville, Durham, etc., lately. All cool places.

I think it's largely a reaction to people ripping Syracuse. There's not a lot of difference in many of these college towns and cities.

What would bring teenage basketball stars here that Duke doesn't have other than a massive mall?

The largest on-campus basketball arena in college basketball?

Not suggesting that we're recruiting on Duke's level in any way, shape, or form -- but let's not pretend that our program doesn't have attractive attributes that sell themselves to prospective recruits.

I think it's largely a reaction to people ripping Syracuse. There's not a lot of difference in many of these college towns and cities.

Maybe not in the ACC/SEC southern area sans Florida because the landscape is so similar and many are small. But on a national scale they are all so unique and different, IMO. I've been to a LOT of them too for work projects. I'll give you MAYBE the ones that have pedestrian malls like Boulder, Charlottesville, Madison, etc.

Last edited:

Fair enough. I took it as reasons why Duke recruits well.

Not suggesting that we're recruiting on Duke's level in any way, shape, or form -- but let's not pretend that our program doesn't have attractive attributes that sell themselves to prospective recruits.

I'm not saying we don't but wondering why kids choose Duke and Arizona is kinda comical.

So, surprise to me, an article on Bleaccher Report identifies Jordan Tucker as the Duke starter at SF because of his shooting/scoring
abilities. Personally, I would start Duvall at PG, Grayson Allen at 2G, Gary Trent or Marvin Bagley at SF, Wendell Carter at PF and Bolden and/or Vrankovic at C. That would leave Goldwire, O'Connell, Tucker, Jack White and DeLaurier as reserves. Golden, Bagley and Carter could rotate at the PF and C positions. In my eyes, the two recruits that Syracuse wanted (Tucker and O'Connell) will be reserves for Duke.

"In my eyes, the two recruits that Syracuse wanted (Tucker and O'Connell) will be reserves for Duke."
This depresses me.

"In my eyes, the two recruits that Syracuse wanted (Tucker and O'Connell) will be reserves for Duke."
This depresses me.
It may depress you but those two were the ones Syracuse showed interest in/.

theory: it's mostly Capel, and it ain't clean. He's the one that reeled in Bagley (obv K closed in some fashion) - their handpicking of one-and-dones didn't really start until he arrived from Oklahoma - from where he was chased for running a dirty program
Doesn't Bagley give Duke 14 scholarship players? How is Duke spinning this one.

It does seem like K has changed things up to match UK since Cal started pulling 5 5star kids every season. To me I think most of these situations are more about how little or how much you are allowing boosters to get involved. Perhaps K brought in Capel and told him to make sure the boosters knew they could release the hounds.

Absolutely. Duke is a machine, just by looking at their social media following you can see that they have fans like no other, outside of UK. Behind those two, Cuse falls comfortably in line. We have a ton to offer. The stud hoops players will be campus heroes and spend 6 months tops living here. I truly don't see the city/nightlife as that big of a factor for any of the UK/Duke/Cuse. AZ gets the benefit of sun, so maybe that helps them a tad. Top kids go to MSU, which in no way is a better place than cuse. Location and cityscape, are not nearly as important as coach, fans, amenities, scheme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom