Class of 2025 - PG Acaden Lewis (DC) Offered | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 PG Acaden Lewis (DC) Offered

It feels like our only chance here, is for both Dook and UConn to land their other preferred PG options,
so that Acaden will 'fall' to us.

Sad that this is where we now, but it is what it is.
With Duke I get it. UCONN drives me crazy. We should not be as far behind them as we are.

With Duke I get it. UCONN drives me crazy. We should not be as far behind them as we are.

They can throw all their money at hoops pretty much. They are just as far behind if not a larger gap in football compared to us.

Been saying for a couple weeks now. I think he ends up here. If not we get Tyler Jackson.

Either way we are going to have a class of Lewis, Kiyan and Sadiq
Or
Jackson, Kiyan and Sadiq

Then add in another forward or two and possibly a big and you have our class. We are fine. We will have a top 10 class before it is all said and done. I’m extremely confident in that

Been saying for a couple weeks now. I think he ends up here. If not we get Tyler Jackson.

Either way we are going to have a class of Lewis, Kiyan and Sadiq
Or
Jackson, Kiyan and Sadiq

Then add in another forward or two and possibly a big and you have our class. We are fine. We will have a top 10 class before it is all said and done. I’m extremely confident in that
Jackson is not good.

Jackson is not good.

I don't want to demean a kid, but I'd just say from what I've read and seen that dropping from Lewis to Jackson keeps us in the issue we are already having with no real lead guard that can be top flight ACC level guy.

I absolutely could be 100% wrong and would be happy to be.

I wouldn't complain because I like Saddiq and Kiyan a ton, so you take what you can get. But then, to me, it's portal for a top flight lead guard.

I don’t mean to discredit anyone’s intel at all, but just wanted to share that I’ve been told from a very good source that UConn and Duke lead here with Cuse behind a good bit. Was also told that UConn is supposedly beginning to prefer Acaden over Meleek Thomas. Hope I’m wrong.

Rough, but when you're competing with Duke and UConn, it'll always be tough to come out on top. But it's not over yet. Maybe Red can pull it out.

Jackson is not good.

If it’s Jackson have to figure that the chunk of NIL money set for Lewis is kept in escrow for a big portal target then. Jackson being a developmental depth piece vs a key addition.

I don't want to demean a kid, but I'd just say from what I've read and seen that dropping from Lewis to Jackson keeps us in the issue we are already having with no real lead guard that can be top flight ACC level guy.

I absolutely could be 100% wrong and would be happy to be.

I wouldn't complain because I like Saddiq and Kiyan a ton, so you take what you can get. But then, to me, it's portal for a top flight lead guard.
Poor mans Kaleb Joseph.

According to Neil Adler’s recent article, recruiting experts feel SU is in a good spot with Lewis. The article was very encouraging.

I would imagine it would benefit both Duke and UConn to be talking they are in a good spot with Lewis given they have other bigger targets they are pursuing… just a thought.

I would imagine it would benefit both Duke and UConn to be talking they are in a good spot with Lewis given they have other bigger targets they are pursuing… just a thought.
I don’t care what other targets UCONN and Duke are recruiting. I just want Lewis.

Lots of different opinions on our status here. I hope we are all in on Rippey JR and find someone to bridge the gap. He seems to be a more sure bet imo.
Syracuse is recruiting Deron hard, and he's expected to take an OV to 'Cuse at some point. I talk to his dad regularly; Deron loves 'Cuse, although the competition is steep.

Syracuse is recruiting Deron hard, and he's expected to take an OV to 'Cuse at some point. I talk to his dad regularly; Deron loves 'Cuse, although the competition is steep.
Can we maybe see Deron reclass to 25?

Lots of different opinions on our status here. I hope we are all in on Rippey JR and find someone to bridge the gap. He seems to be a more sure bet imo.
I'll take him or Jordan Smith at this stage of the game.

If we don't get Acaden, we should not settle for a highly ranked combo guard. We need a real point guard who can run the team and distribute the ball, even if it is a lower tier player comparable to Symir Torrence. We've experimented enough the past few years with combo/shooting guards at the point and the results were not good.

This is very important if we want to see our top players (Sadiq and hopefully Kiyan) succeed and be happy.

If we don't get Acaden, we should not settle for a highly ranked combo guard. We need a real point guard who can run the team and distribute the ball, even if it is a lower tier player comparable to Symir Torrence. We've experimented enough the past few years with combo/shooting guards at the point and the results were not good.

This is very important if we want to see our top players (Sadiq and hopefully Kiyan) succeed and be happy.
I like this idea in theory, but (hypothetically) a higher ranked player is going to be a much better physical specimen, with better general basketball skills who has performed better statistically than the hypothetical lower ranked player, usually against better competition.

You have to be really sure of your scouting report to pass up a top50 kid that isn't quite your idea of a point guard in order to go with a top150 kid who doesn't have the measurable physical attributes or track record because he fits your idea of "true point guard.". The father down in the rankings you go, the more sure you better be.

The days of Steve Nash going to Santa Clara because nobody got around to scouting him are over.

I'm being greedy. 2026 class - Rippey at PG, Smith at SG, Constanza at wing/SF :)
1724255976128.gif

I like this idea in theory, but (hypothetically) a higher ranked player is going to be a much better physical specimen, with better general basketball skills who has performed better statistically than the hypothetical lower ranked player, usually against better competition. Switch out Judah with Symir last year and I think the team would have been more successful as there would be better scoring opportunities for our shooters, slashers and bigs and much better defense at the top.

You have to be really sure of your scouting report to pass up a top50 kid that isn't quite your idea of a point guard in order to go with a top150 kid who doesn't have the measurable physical attributes or track record because he fits your idea of "true point guard.". The father down in the rankings you go, the more sure you better be.

The days of Steve Nash going to Santa Clara because nobody got around to scouting him are over.
I'm not too sure about what you've stated in the 1st paragraph. We can use Judah Mintz against Symir as an example. Sure, Judah was a higher ranked player, a much better physical specimen but other than scoring, did he do anything else better than Symir? (definitely not ball handling, passing/distributing, penetration and kick out, and defense). Also, statistically, Judah didn't look good or fare better once ACC play began.

There have been a lot of solid college point guards not highly ranked who ran their teams very well with no shot at becoming an NBA player, and there are some who were low ranked out of high school (Jose Alvarado 34th ranked point guard on ESPN, and did not make the ESPN 100, and a 3 star on 247) who ran a college team well for 4 years, went undrafted and fought his way onto a team.

To each his own, but I've seen enough college basketball teams being run by a top flight combo guard who didn't help the team and sometimes not even himself.

Hopefully, Carlos can hold the fort down until Westry gets into game shape both physically and mentally. He was a pure point guard coming out of high school and could be a huge difference maker if healthy.

FWIW. We have missed on a few guards lately but we’ve also had some combo guards contribute to a lot of wins over the years. eg. Brandon Triche, Dion Waiters, Michael Gbinije, Gerry McNamara etc. it’s not as cut and dried as some people think.

FWIW. We have missed on a few guards lately but we’ve also had some combo guards contribute to a lot of wins over the years. eg. Brandon Triche, Dion Waiters, Michael Gbinije, Gerry McNamara etc. it’s not as cut and dried as some people think.
The best teams Triche, GMac, and Dion played on all had Point Guards. (MCW, Scoop, and Billy)

Gbinje kinda figured out the perfect combo guard contributions by the end of his SR year, his 5th year in college.

Freshman combo guards in 2024, just seems like a red X to me.

The best teams Triche, GMac, and Dion played on all had Point Guards. (MCW, Scoop, and Billy)

Gbinje kinda figured out the perfect combo guard contributions by the end of his SR year, his 5th year in college.

Freshman combo guards in 2024, just seems like a red X to me.
I don’t disagree. I think the one skill we are debating is the ability / willingness to pass the ball. Some players see it and some just never get it.